Author Topic: Nothing to research, game is dead?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Avatar73

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Nothing to research, game is dead?
« on: September 14, 2021, 03:58:46 pm »
I have nothing to research.

I have researched the T'leth topic but it was just a dead end, nothing there.

I captured live alien commanders.

However, I only have the first (plastic) armour, and no subs other than the starting ones.

What's gone wrong? I think it might be that I haven't captured a live Deep One?

But I tried just going after everything and capturing everything with debug mode, and the only new research I ever got was an aquatic technician or something.

Eventually I tried waiting for the land terrors to show up, but I just ended up with everyone withdrawing from xcom and losing.

That's just...... disappointing.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing to research, game is dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 04:07:01 pm »
Yes, you need a live Deep One.

It's an unfortunate bottleneck in the TFTD research tree.

Most of us were disappointed just like you when we first played it... but once you know it, every next campaign is much more fun.

Offline Avatar73

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 03:49:00 pm »
Thanks.

Yep, it is incredibly stupid.

I know openXcom is trying to be faithful, but still fixing bugs. Well.... this seems like something that needs...... at least SOMETHING done about it!

Edited the save to give me a live deep one in the end.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 10:56:02 pm »
I think the game being so difficult for me in the beginning is what made me keep playing it and try to beat it. The worse thing was on early PlayStation releases like i had, There was a memory card/save problem where all your work would be borked and you'd have to start all over again. I began using 2 memory cards doing alternate saves.
I got my kid into it and we both beat the game together. It was like we accomplished this huge task as a family. like we were ready to throw a "X com winners" party dressed as Ethereal's.

Start a new game.

This has happened to me once before using the OG. Actually a commander would show up in research, then after the report was complete, it would no longer show anything and no reprt. Catch another one, same loop.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 10:57:54 pm by Chuckebaby »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 03:24:58 am »
You can get a live deep one from a mixed crew terror site which can occur in the late game. Just let the terror mission ships go and run every terror site with stun weapons.

Or mod the game. Nobody deserves to be subjected to vanilla TFTD.