Author Topic: Does it make any difference in which hand you hold a weapon?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline JConstantine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Does it make any difference in which hand you hold a weapon?
« on: August 22, 2021, 02:39:14 pm »
I would like to know if there's any difference between holding your weapon in your left hand and your right hand?
Does it somehow affect the aim? Or let's say there's a situation when I'm in the cover that's on my left. Will I get No Line Of Fire if I use my left hand to shoot and a successful shot if I use my right hand?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 08:22:28 pm by JConstantine »

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Does it make any difference in which hand you hold a weapon?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 07:27:55 pm »
For as far as i know.

The only times it differs is when one hand (arm) is wounded, that one gets an accuracy penalty, and the other is not.
And it has to be a one handed weapon. 2-handed weapons will get the penalty regardless.

LoF is calculated from a specific voxel of the unit. Hand placement is not taken into account.

Offline JConstantine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 08:25:08 pm »
LoF is calculated from a specific voxel of the unit.
Could you please elaborate on this?

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 11:16:04 pm »
LoF stands for Line of Fire.

When (trying to) shoot the game calculates the line between the location of the soldier and the target.
This line is used to determine if a shot connects (not necessary to the intended target ;)) or is blocked by something.

In order to calculate this line (think of it as ray-tracing) both a starting and ending coordinate are needed. The engine uses voxels for this, a single tile consists of multiple voxels.
The origin voxel, the point you are shooting from, is unit (soldier) based and the tile it is standing on. It is more or less fixed [1].

P.s. This is a broad  generalistic answer, for details you need people that are more qualified. Hope it still answers your question.

[1] There are some details concerning armor size, type of action, facing, etc. But none of these relate to the handslot holding the weapon (or items in general for that matter).

Offline JConstantine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 01:08:20 am »
Hope it still answers your question.
It does! Thank you a lot, R1dO.
And one more thing... If I really want to get deep into the technical side of the OpenXcom project, get into the code, analyze formulas and numbers etc. what's the best place for me to start from?

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 04:24:20 am »
It does! Thank you a lot, R1dO.
And one more thing... If I really want to get deep into the technical side of the OpenXcom project, get into the code, analyze formulas and numbers etc. what's the best place for me to start from?

download an IDE (integrated development environment) for c/c++. Most choose Visual Studio, i use NetBeans but started w/ CodeBlocks

(optional) install Git and preferably a front end for it (unless you like commandlines) GitExtensions

'git' the repo you want ...

google until the project actually builds ...

Then start reading tutorials on c++

it's a long and difficult road for c++ (at least it was for me)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:31:56 am by kevL »

Offline JConstantine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 01:49:11 pm »
preferably a front end for it (unless you like commandlines) GitExtensions
You mean Git wrappers that make work with Git easier and more intuitive?

(unless you like commandlines)
I do btw :) Doesn't Visual Studio have some Git Wrapper integrated into its IDE? I think I've seen that, but never used it.
What Git wrappers would you recommend btw?

google until the project actually builds ...
You mean that it takes a long time to build the project?

My IDE is Visual Studio 2019. Will it do?
I'm already into C++ and keep learning things everyday. I really want to master it, though I know it's hard and takes a long time.
Is all the OpenXcom code well-documented itself or is there any additional tutorials for those who want to start working on the project?

Oh, and one more thing :) The game uses some folders from the OG in order to work. Those are just resources? Isn't the OG closed-source?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 02:01:43 pm by JConstantine »

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 06:30:39 pm »
You mean Git wrappers that make work with Git easier and more intuitive?

yes.

I do btw :) Doesn't Visual Studio have some Git Wrapper integrated into its IDE? I think I've seen that, but never used it.

probably, but I haven't had any experience with VS since ages. it has way too much stuff for what I personally need.

I think NetBeans also has integration with version software like Git.

What Git wrappers would you recommend btw?

GitExtensions -- http://gitextensions.github.io/ -- it's been good to me :^)

sometimes i use commandline git but not for regular usage, just for initializing repositories etc

You mean that it takes a long time to build the project?

well... it took me a whackload of time to hook up dependencies ... find a c++ compiler that i liked, etc (Visual Studio should have its own compiler, but not sure about the others atm)

The first time I set up an IDE it took two weeks. The second time a few days. The third time it's no longer a prob. (auhh there's always probs - something inevitably wags its finger with some obscure error message - or that's been my experience anyway)

My IDE is Visual Studio 2019. Will it do?

should work fine :^)

I'm already into C++ and keep learning things everyday. I really want to master it, though I know it's hard and takes a long time.
Is all the OpenXcom code well-documented itself or is there any additional tutorials for those who want to start working on the project?

ah, i guess it's as well documented as anything else. I search Stackoverflow often, when I need advice or clarification about code generally. But like any large codebase, the only way to learn what's going on is to stare at it and try things out.

Oh, and one more thing :) The game uses some folders from the OG in order to work. Those are just resources? Isn't the OG closed-source?

just resources - all the OxC/e code is open and does not rely on proprietary code whatsoever (!)

I'm sure you'll run up against quirks now and again. Just start a thread and ask a specific question in one of the appropriate subforums here and you're likely to get a decent answer before too long.

Offline JConstantine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 07:37:22 pm »
Thank you, man for such a detailed answer!
Well...Gonna go learn things then :)