Author Topic: Gym + Firearms range (Strength/Firing Accuracy training)  (Read 200 times)

Offline 75338

• Sergeant
  • Rogue. D2X HC SP. WoW filmmaker. Epic 40K.
    • View Profile
Gym + Firearms range (Strength/Firing Accuracy training)
« on: June 17, 2024, 07:53:38 pm »
Irl, all special military/gov't agency units have training facilities (and pre-screening processes) they use to make sure their operators are well prepared to carry heavy stuff (like each other) and shoot well and handle casualties etc., and also send their operators to places like https://shawshooting.com/ for specific skills training from people who do nothing else professionally, every day.

As is, in OXCE you need to either fire your low-performers or do counter-intuitive things like make them start with something in their hands to throw a few times to make their Strength go up, and choose weapons that they can hit with without killing an enemy to make their Firing Accuracy go up.

The X-Com Files has a gym facility that seems to work more or less well, though I only played XCF for a few weeks. If you would like OXCE to be slightly more similar to irl organizations, I recommend the following:

1. Enabling a single gym (+shooting training) facility, or two separate base facilities.
2. Allow substandard personnel to develop their some few skills only in these facilities up to a certain point but no further, and/or allow further improvement at greater cost in time invested (?).

Apologies if this has likely been discussed before, I fail with the forum search function for OXCE. I just thought I'd add my very minor irl experience.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Gym + Firearms range (Strength/Firing Accuracy training)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 08:15:52 pm »
What you're talking about is called "making a mod".

And sure, it would be a legit mod. The options mostly exist because Warboy made such a mod in ancient times, anyway. Recreating it nowadays wouldn't be a problem. You can take my code if you want, but I haven't done much anyway, just used the options.

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Gym + Firearms range (Strength/Firing Accuracy training)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 08:41:28 pm »
Currently you can only specify customTrainingFactor for the campaign, and training limits per soldier type. If I understand correctly, what you're suggesting is a customTrainingFactor and limits per facility. And you'd also like a... logarithmic training curve.

I don't see the custom factor and training limits per facility as easily doable, because currently there's no way to specify which soldier should go to which training facility (of the same training type). It would require a complete overhaul of the soldier training system, which would be too much work.
The logarithmic training curve sounds relatively simple tho.