aliens

Author Topic: [MAPS] (UPDATE v1.4) Hobbes Terrain Mods for OpenXCom  (Read 48421 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [MAPS] (UPDATE v1.4) Hobbes Terrain Mods for OpenXCom
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:13 pm »
Usually proven by the way of a CTD... I'm starting to get used to those :P

Speaking of height levels. Hobbes, it may be cheeky from my part, but is it remotely possible that you could add 3 underground levels, like Luke did? I just think it's an excellent idea, allowing for all kinds of underground installations (generally cellars, but possibly also sewers and whatnot). Plus, I'd love it to become a new standard, even if it's not fully used at the moment.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2014, 12:29:26 am »
Speaking of height levels. Hobbes, it may be cheeky from my part, but is it remotely possible that you could add 3 underground levels, like Luke did? I just think it's an excellent idea, allowing for all kinds of underground installations (generally cellars, but possibly also sewers and whatnot). Plus, I'd love it to become a new standard, even if it's not fully used at the moment.

Nope. I dislike the idea since it will simply prolong battles. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 03:15:45 am »
Nope. I dislike the idea since it will simply prolong battles. :)

But it allows you to make craters! ;D

And I fully agree that this should be used very carefully. Still, Luke's cellars are small and I don't think they make battles any longer, while they add a lot of realism.

Nevertheless, it's hardly a major thing. :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2014, 03:50:43 am »
But it allows you to make craters! ;D

And I fully agree that this should be used very carefully. Still, Luke's cellars are small and I don't think they make battles any longer, while they add a lot of realism.

Nevertheless, it's hardly a major thing. :)

Apocalypse had cellars/sewers for most buildings and I can't say I miss them. They were mainly used by the aliens to run away from battles since I deliberately avoided fighting on them to avoid splitting up my squads. 

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2014, 05:40:43 am »
I'm not sold on the idea of every map being elevated, but I think it could work interestingly in a special missions type, perhaps with aliens invading a facility that has underground parts or X-com occasionally discovering aliens in the process of building a base, so they have to take out the guards on the surface and then go down to fight in an unfinished base.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2014, 06:16:55 am »
I'm not sold on the idea of every map being elevated, but I think it could work interestingly in a special missions type, perhaps with aliens invading a facility that has underground parts or X-com occasionally discovering aliens in the process of building a base, so they have to take out the guards on the surface and then go down to fight in an unfinished base.

The problem is that it is currently impossible to create such a special mission without having to heavily modify nearly all terrains, if you set that mission as an UFO assault. Alien Base missions are limited to 2 levels by default, plus a dirt level so that wouldn't work.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2014, 07:42:03 am »
I've played with the maps a bit and I've yet to encounter any major problem. Here are some things I did find though.

1) For some reason, I can't look through the windows of one specific building in the Port terrain.

2) My soldier can not move forward to the spot immediately in front of him, even though the object there (fuse box?) doesn't seem large enough to occupy the space.

3) This reaper seems to have spawned inside a building in a village with no way out. While potentially great for a cyberdisc, the reaper is faced with limited options.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2014, 03:25:28 pm »
I've played with the maps a bit and I've yet to encounter any major problem. Here are some things I did find though.

1) For some reason, I can't look through the windows of one specific building in the Port terrain.

2) My soldier can not move forward to the spot immediately in front of him, even though the object there (fuse box?) doesn't seem large enough to occupy the space.

3) This reaper seems to have spawned inside a building in a village with no way out. While potentially great for a cyberdisc, the reaper is faced with limited options.

Thanks. I've fixed 1) and 2). On 3) I couldn't figure out which the exact map from the pic so I rechecked and fixed a few of those potential spawns of large terror units inside small rooms. Version 1.8.3 coming up with the fixes.

EDIT: I started a new thread for the Terrain Pack so that I can properly updated the OP with details/info. The new thread is this: Terrain Pack (WIP)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:42:16 am by Hobbes »

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2014, 09:56:26 pm »
Since this mod makes sure Hobbes's Terror pack does not overwrite other files can I use this terror mod with lukes expanded terror mission?

niculinux

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2015, 02:52:16 pm »
Since this mod makes sure Hobbes's Terror pack does not overwrite other files can I use this terror mod with lukes expanded terror mission?

up, any answers? So i suppose this is the last version compatible with openxcom 1.0, right? And  ost of all, where i can download the 1.4 version? :, (

edit: last 1.0 compatible one appears to be 1.9.3, as i have reported here, but it along older versions are outdated and not avaiable anymore. The 1.5 version is avaiable attached the this post. The portal provides versions only from 3.4.1 and up, all nightlies only, see here.

@Hobbes: currently mod portal displays only the ones compatible with nightlies, how about to put there a link of the last 1.0 compatible?  :'(
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:54:18 pm by niculinux »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2015, 03:49:57 pm »
Hobbes, I got this error message for the FMP: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2027.msg50468.html#msg50468

I am fairly sure it's connected to the map (nodes, probably), as this terror uses the TFTD mapblocks. I wonder if there's a newer version for me to use, but I doubt that.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2015, 04:16:35 pm »
up, any answers? So i suppose this is the last version compatible with openxcom 1.0, right? And  ost of all, where i can download the 1.4 version? :, (

edit: last 1.0 compatible one appears to be 1.9.3, as i have reported here, but it along older versions are outdated and not avaiable anymore. The 1.5 version is avaiable attached the this post. The portal provides versions only from 3.4.1 and up, all nightlies only, see here.

@Hobbes: currently mod portal displays only the ones compatible with nightlies, how about to put there a link of the last 1.0 compatible?  :'(

Who uses 1.0 OpenXcom today? The nightly Code is so much superior.

niculinux

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2015, 04:19:43 pm »
Who uses 1.0 OpenXcom today? The nightly Code is so much superior.

me, for instance xD ok i'll wait 2.0..
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:24:51 pm by niculinux »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2015, 04:23:34 pm »
Hobbes, I got this error message for the FMP: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2027.msg50468.html#msg50468

I am fairly sure it's connected to the map (nodes, probably), as this terror uses the TFTD mapblocks. I wonder if there's a newer version for me to use, but I doubt that.

Solarius, it would better if you simply disable those terrains which give you until Hobbes remakes those routes.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2015, 04:23:58 pm »
me, for imstamce xD ok i'll wait 2.0...

Dude use Nightly builds!