Possibly one of the longest-running OpenXcom code mods is Soldier Diaries / Commendations, which keeps detailed stats of all your missions, allowing you to revisit your successes and failures anytime you want. Mostly failures.
However, being a separate branch meant it always trailed behind the official version, leading to many old bugs, compatibility problems and installation difficulties keeping players from trying it out. But no longer! Soldier Diaries has now been integrated into the official version, so now everyone can crack open the spreadsheets and write fanfics about their soldiers.
Given our current in-between releases, there’s been a lot of questions regarding nightlies and mods and what goes where and etc, so hopefully this will help you out: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installation_FAQ_(OpenXcom)
It’s intentionally dumbed down and not meant to be exhaustive documentation covering every single possible setup and platform (that’s what the rest of the wiki is for).
Stream’s over: Part 1 | Part 2 | Fanart
We reached the goal but you can still donate if you want, Extra Life lasts all year.
- You can donate at any time before/during/after the stream.
- I’ll be streaming all day and there’ll be a recording afterwards, so don’t worry about missing out.
- You don’t need to have a Twitch account to watch the stream, but you do need one to be able to get notifications and join in the chat.
- I can only name soldiers if I can see your names, I won’t be following comments here.
- Don’t like the site? Pop out the player! Pop out the chat! Rearrange everything how you see fit!
- Don’t like the chat? Connect through IRC!
- Feel free to ask and request anything, have fun, and help sick kids!
So what’s been going on in the frontier? Well, now that TFTD is getting nice and stable, we’re taking the time to look at all the feature requests and improvements we had to put off because we were too busy with TFTD. 😛 This particular request has been in hibernation for over a year:
Can’t wait? Try the nightlies!
In addition, I’ve been playing underling for a change, and helping out the fine folks at OpenApoc. Check out the latest progress report. I contributed a whole 3 seconds of footage in there!
Like what you see? Then you should join the project! They could use all the help they can get.
Finally, Extra Life is coming this weekend! The yearly event where people stream games to raise money for charity, and we’ll be joining in as usual. I’ll be streaming this Saturday, 6th November, so subscribe to watch me be terrible at videogames (mostly X-COM) or to ask us anything, including “what’s the deal with aiming? are you really a robot? why isn’t TFTD out yet?”.
I’ll also be attending Lisboa Games Week the next day (I know you portuguese are out there!) if I don’t die of games overload first.
Available for PC, Mac and Linux on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/319050/
I’m attending Firaxicon (Baltimore MD, USA) on October 3 if anyone’s around and wants to meet up, after which I’ll return to my cave and never be seen again.
That’s it. I didn’t wanna distract you from your TFTD.
DISCLAIMER: This is not a final release! We did not ignore all your feedback for the last year! There will still be many more fixes and additions before the next milestone!
Due to popular demand and the satisfactory performance of Terror from the Deep in the stream olympics, we have decided to unleash it onto the nightly builds so that everyone can try it out. Our goal here is to get as much testing of vanilla TFTD and make sure it’s fully playable from start to end, before you all decide to mod the crap out of it. 😛 Please report all bugs and inaccuracies here, and let me remind you the game being too hard / too easy does not count.
Installation Instructions for 1.0 users:
- A clean install is recommended. Extract the ZIP separately from 1.0 and reset your options to default.
- Put your UFO game files in “openxcom/ufo/” and your TFTD game files in “openxcom/tftd/”.
- Mods go in their own folders in “<save folder>/mods”. More details here.
- You can switch between games in Options > Mods. Note that UFO mods aren’t compatible with TFTD and vice-versa.
With all that out of the way… enjoy like these fine folk have!
Watch Terror From the Deep being played on OpenXcom live for the first time!
Stream’s over, recording here!
We’ll be rolling it out to the nightly builds eventually if the playtest proves satisfactory and the game isn’t completely broken (oh god it’s gonna be completely broken isn’t it).