Author Topic: Don't wait for hit in Auto shot for firing next bullet  (Read 8287 times)

Offline TopCat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Don't wait for hit in Auto shot for firing next bullet
« on: February 27, 2013, 11:59:48 am »
Waiting for hit enemy unit (or miss) in auto mode little spoils the game. IMHO will be much better when weapon have only delay betwean shots.
I understand that enemy have to react somehow on hit (via reaction fire) but this is auto fire mode :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: Don't wait for hit in Auto shot for firing next bullet
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »
Reminds me of this topic
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,235.msg1670.html#msg1670
sure not exactly the same request but  the split screen idea allows you to blast to your hearts content in autoshot and still get a idea of where you hit.

Offline TopCat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:32:36 pm »
Waiting for hit in auto shoot is annoying when you target long distance target. Since you can't break auto shoot even when first bullet kill target then The idea here is to shoot all bullets at once (with some configurable delay). IMHO this improve game dynamic and make it less annoying.   

The Splitting view is great idea but IMHO it shouldn't be reserved for shooting because typically you are not interested with your shooting units but normally you want see target unit (changing  view is annoying here). The better approach is done in "stratagus" engine (sorry I can't find screenshot with this feature) where you can split view on several smaller independent views.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:39:43 pm »
as long as the bullets don't spread too far, they should travel rather close to each other, right? maybe it would be possible to center the "bullet cam" on the middle bullet or something?

Offline TopCat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:04:48 pm »
Just disable "bullet cam"... Finally you are interest about result (hit/miss) and not how the bullet fly. Even when you miss then for what you need info what you hit?
The only scenario when you want tho know what hit is hit another unit but even here the centre action should be on target and not on bullet.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 02:27:29 am »
I don't see the problem, you can change the fire speed to 6 in options and then hit or misses are quick.

If anything having fire speed option act like movement speed option so you can seperate XCOM and Alien would be nice because you shooting at high speed can be fine but you might want a slower alien shot to see where they are shooting from.

Offline TopCat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 02:09:52 pm »
IMHO it's no so simple... seeing the source of enemy fire is important  but it rather should be target cam (see only area near your unit and see only basic fire direction) and not bullets cams.
Currently changing fire speed is some workaround here but heavy depend on distance and fps. Changing auto shoot behaviour bring also "look and feel" aspect where you shoot multiple bullets at once or with some delay.

Exp: implement shotgun where single fire shoot N bullets where each have tiny damage and weak accuracy

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 04:48:05 pm »
also, it's not that easy changing the game mechanics. currently, the game fires one bullet, and after it hits, the target is evaluated for stunning or lethal damage. if all bullets fly at the same time, at what point do you want to check for damage? after all bullets hit their targets? what if the bullets actually travel in a straight line (one after the other)? you'd have to check for environment damage instantly (first bullet might destroy a wall, others continue to travel), but probably all would hit a "soft" target (alien or human) almost simultaneously. it's not that simple... also, I don't think the current engine even supports multiple projectiles at the same time :)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 06:47:37 pm »
how about simply disable bullet cam, increase the speed of the bullet,

and if the target is beyond the the current screen then create a split screen to show if you are hitting the target or not.
I think that will suffice.

In the alien turn i think it should be kept the way it is.

Offline TopCat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:09:10 pm »
Another aspect of this idea is double pistol shot (from both hands). Two bullets shot into target which have double kill chance without reaction fire (ufo, bases, building explorations).

this may have big influence on game play and improve usage of pistols

Volutar

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 03:39:32 am »
I aggreed with original thought. Between autoshoot bullets enemy don't have any chance to react. He can react only after final bullet. And if I noticed that right - this is not how OXC works. Though this is how UFO:EU works.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 07:37:51 am »
just putting this out there... you can right click during a projectile's flight to "skip" the rest of the animation and go straight to the hit, added this a few days ago.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:47 am »
I aggreed with original thought. Between autoshoot bullets enemy don't have any chance to react. He can react only after final bullet. And if I noticed that right - this is not how OXC works. Though this is how UFO:EU works.

do you mean that in OpenXcom, there is alien reaction fire between the shots of an Auto Shot? are you sure? I don't think I have seen that.

Volutar

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:20 am »
moriarty, I'm sure, after first shot alien turned to you, and SPOTs you. And even if you get it killed with rest 2 bullets, you still be "known" person who will be under psi or other "distant" attack like blaster launcher. And that's not vanilla behaviour.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 03:56:14 pm »
spotting yes, but they don't fire between the autoshot, and I thought in vanilla psi aliens attack right from the start?

I haven't played vanilla in a while but I think aliens still turn inbetween auto fire shots if the first one doesn't kill them.