Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 184170 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2016, 11:28:53 pm »
Hello Chase, nice to see you here :)

First things first: where do I go to donate money to the people who host this forum? I already gave $40 USD to the Openxcom.org post that is currently on the front page. Maybe somebody could tell me who the most deserving modder is? Please be objective. I am not an idiot who wants to toss away money. I truly value the work everyone is doing here, and I think it's only fair that I contribute in exchange for the hours and hours of enjoyment I would get from openxcom.

You can donate to OpenXcom developers too.
As for modders, the most active/most known are: robin, Hobbes, hellrazor, Solarius Scorch, Dioxine and XOps; in no particular order. Sorry if I missed some big names. People don't do this for money, but if you really wish to donate, just contact them. Dioxine has a donate button/thread somewhere afaik, others don't (afaik).

I recommend that you first install and play OpenXcom and maybe some mods too... and only THEN decide if, how much and to whom you want to donate.

Thanks a lot, everyone! And shout out to Meridian for his TFTD and Openxcom FMP Let's Plays!

Made my day. Cheers!

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
  • Your X-Com must be quite precious to you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2016, 11:54:31 pm »
Thanks for replying, guys! And thanks for the leads on where to donate. I hope it doesn't make things feel weird (like a friend repeatedly trying to pay you if your offered to help him move from one house to another), I just believe in paying content creators, otherwise we are all stuck with endless advertising! Plus, like I said, you guys deserve it. Think of it like buying someone a beer!

So cool to hear from Meridian! I loved your TFTD LP. The James Bond colony attack tactic is very cool. I used to just blow a hole in the roof of the main room and the roof of the garrison followed by a few more bombs all from the DPL. That would make short work of the upper level, but on the lower level I would throw a sonic pulser on the command center and then scram! It's fun watching your LPs. Actually, I mostly listen to them while I work and rewind when a bunch of your soldiers get killed or something funny happens. It's still so weird to me that the UFO Defense FMP videos are a couple years old. It's all new to me! BTW if you know who remastered the music please let me know. He/she is a prime target for donation since I am super impressed with the music.

I am still wondering where to go to get started playing. It seems clear that step 1 is to buy UFO defense on steam and then to make sure I get the Windows patch. Where do I go to get the final mod pack, and how do I install it? Maybe I am making things too complicated. I just worry that since all this stuff is open source I could screw it up or create bugs if I am not careful. Is there a page for complete noobs to the FMP which will explain how it works?

Also, what's up with the Pirate and Bootypedia thing? It looks like a lot of new info that I probably would not want to try to keep track of this time around. Is all that stuff part of FMP or is it separate? Thanks again for the help!

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2016, 12:23:18 am »
BTW if you know who remastered the music please let me know. He/she is a prime target for donation since I am super impressed with the music.

If you mean the music from my FMP LP, that was done by Lorcan: https://openxcom.org/2015/06/updated-ufo-cydonias-fall-soundtrack/

I am still wondering where to go to get started playing. It seems clear that step 1 is to buy UFO defense on steam and then to make sure I get the Windows patch. Where do I go to get the final mod pack, and how do I install it? Maybe I am making things too complicated. I just worry that since all this stuff is open source I could screw it up or create bugs if I am not careful. Is there a page for complete noobs to the FMP which will explain how it works?

I'll make a short how-to video for you on Sunday.

Also, what's up with the Pirate and Bootypedia thing? It looks like a lot of new info that I probably would not want to try to keep track of this time around. Is all that stuff part of FMP or is it separate? Thanks again for the help!

PirateZ is completely separate from FMP. It is a total conversion (i.e. mod that completely changes the game instead of extending it).
It's definitely worth looking at... but as I said, try the vanilla OpenXcom first... then maybe some mods (Area 51, FMP, Xeno Operations, Hardmode, etc.) and then...

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2016, 01:54:12 am »
That would be so great! Thank you, Meridian!!

Thanks for the tip about the music. I will keep my eye out for that user!

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2016, 01:59:25 am »
That music is SO SICK!

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2016, 01:36:42 am »
If you mean the music from my FMP LP, that was done by Lorcan: https://openxcom.org/2015/06/updated-ufo-cydonias-fall-soundtrack/

I'll make a short how-to video for you on Sunday.

PirateZ is completely separate from FMP. It is a total conversion (i.e. mod that completely changes the game instead of extending it).
It's definitely worth looking at... but as I said, try the vanilla OpenXcom first... then maybe some mods (Area 51, FMP, Xeno Operations, Hardmode, etc.) and then...

I am curious: why do the vanilla version first? I am quite familiar with that game (even if I haven't finished it on super human). Anyway, I will have to wait a bit longer because the brand new laptop I bought came with a corrupted version of Windows 10 on it. How lame. I took it back and they ordered a new one, which is on its way. It's an MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 002 in case you were curious. Overkill for this game, but I do 3D modeling of buildings for work sometimes. So we'll see how it goes. Hopefully this MSI does better than the Lenovo Y50 I had scrapped recently!

Offline Cerazor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2016, 08:38:38 am »
Hello. I'm Aiden. I live in Australia. I came across X-COM via a youtube playthrough (can't remember which one) in early highschool. How time flys. I just graduated high-school last year. I was introduced to OpenXCOM by Kikoskia and watching Meridian.

What drew me in was the creepy atmosphere of the original, the music, the crazy aesthetic and the gameplay which I had never encountered- before. While I love the original I just got addicted to TFTD with the extender, which I don't own anymore unfortunately. The tough difficulty and enemies were amazing. Although I've played the crap out of the both of them on and off, I've never actually gotten around to completing either to my memory  8).

I haven't gotten around to playing with many mods yet. I was going to play Open after I finished XCOM2 which I lost interest in. So it's taken me alittle while to play this mod. But I cannot understate how amazing Open is, and how the modders bring so much replay-ability to an already amazing game.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:41:54 am by Cerazor »

Offline Luis

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2016, 05:01:16 pm »
Hello!

My name is Luis and I live in Madrid.

I'm a Java Programmer and I would like to create tools for viewing or editing game's savegames or rulesets.

Do you know any Java projects related to this? Right now I'm trying to parse a .rul file but I'm not succeeding on it.

Write me if you know how to code in Java and want to create tools with me.

Thank you!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2016, 06:32:51 pm »
Welcome to the community!

The only tools that do something akin to yours that I know are Falko's python tools. Just click on the Tools tab and look at the ruleset ones.

Unfortunately, I don't think the source code is available (nor is it in Java, of course), but Falko said that eventually there might be a github page, so he would probably be ok with sharing it if it interests you.

Good luck with the project. A good ruleset editor would be really neat.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2016, 07:59:24 am »
Good luck with the project. A good ruleset editor would be really neat.

There is no better ruleset editor then vim in combination of YouCompleteMe. Its the ultimate tool.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2016, 08:18:04 am »
There is no better ruleset editor then vim in combination of YouCompleteMe. Its the ultimate tool.
vim can be great, but it's not exactly quick to pick up (at least to me, I've been sort of using it for years but I am still far, far away from knowing how to properly use it). That YouCompleteMe thing looks neat, thanks for pointing it out.

As for a ruleset editor, what I think would be great is the ability to collapse sections and items, along with pre-populating entries. Like hit a hotkey for "New Weapon" and up comes the full list: "type: snapCost: snapAccuracy: power: etc." all properly indented and just waiting for you to put a value, they hit the down arrow and put the next value. Same for other item types (by battleType, maybe?) and for the other sections (manufacture, research, etc.).

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2016, 04:37:43 pm »
As for a ruleset editor, what I think would be great is the ability to collapse sections and items, along with pre-populating entries.

Did you try geany?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2016, 05:27:26 pm »
Looks cool! Kind of a Linux notepad++. Will try it! Thanks for the suggestions :D

niculinux

« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2016, 10:07:13 am »
Hi Lous, nice to see you onboard! Ever ever minding to create some tools for linux/gnu systems?

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2016, 01:58:23 am »
Did you try geany?

And if you try that program you might just as well visit [tools]->[configuration_files]->[filetype_extensions.conf]
and replace:
Code: [Select]
#YAML=*.yaml;*.yml;with
Code: [Select]
YAML=*.yaml;*.yml;*.sav;*.rul
it makes life just a tiny bit easier ;)