aliens

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 184169 times)

Offline xcomgeneral

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 04:33:48 am »
Hello fellow addicts,

I'm Rob from the U.S. - Yes, I originally purchased and still have X-Com and TFTD floppies (you can guess my age now).  Yes, I've been hooked since those 3.5 diskettes were first installed.  It's so great how you jump with those death screams or watch in horror as that plasma blast drifts across the screen only to hit your best shooter right in the freaking head putting him down! :(  I don't know of any other game that ever got me jumpy like the X-Com series and Yes, conquering the bastard aliens on their home turf of <<caution - spoiler alert>> Mars made me smile for a month.  ;D  I still remember the gaming bliss that I had to go to a whole freaking other planet to ultimately smash the buggers.  God that was just great - AND I WAN'T TO DO IT AGAIN! :D

In RL, I'm one the currently despised gov't employees in the transportation regulation business.  I needed my weekends off to play X-Com!! What?!

I just found this project like yesterday and after trying Xcomutil and UFOloader to no avail, I am a happy customer.  Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, so the only way I'll help is by telling ya'll whats not working.  Hoping this really gets done the right way.

All the best.

Offline Francois424

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone.
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 02:04:43 am »
Btw, looking at most screenshots, THANK YOU for making Antarctica looking like Antarctica...

I know this sound silly, but in UFO:TTS they didn't do it and Since I almost always put my main base there it irk'ed me to no ends.

Now one question:  Do Day/night cycles work like original X-Com or more like real-life (Where it stays dark for like 5 months I think down there) ?

Keep up the good work !

Offline Francois424

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:26 am »
Yup, one of these posts again  ::)

Hi, this is François from Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Been playing X-Com since 1994 back on good old DOS PC, and was immediately hooked...

( Fast Forward )

Now in 2012, I've been waiting roughly 10 years for someone to remake the game in all it's glory.
Lots of remake, not a lot of glory.  Including the Dumbed down, new iteration with gorgeous graphics.

Then I found this little jewel of a game yesterday, and I must say I like a lot of what I am reading...
Seriously, opening the file in a text editor and adjusting settings to my likings ?  You got me.
( Especially since for me, graphics aren't everything... I mean, I played Ultima 2-3   )

- - - - - -

Decided to register, and as soon as we have a workable game, I'll be a part time Beta tester for sure.
I did that as well with UFO:TTS (the two sides) about a year back or so (or was it more?) but that project was canned  :'(
Nice to find another niche of UFO:Enemy Unknown on the web.

Btw, looking at most screenshots, THANK YOU for making Antarctica looking like Antarctica...

I know this sound silly, but in UFO:TTS they didn't do it and Since I almost always put my main base there it irk'ed me to no ends.

Now one question:  Do Day/night cycles work like original X-Com or more like real-life (Where it stays dark for like 5 months I think down there) ?

Keep up the good work, and Have a nice day all,
 -- François424

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:23:27 pm by Francois424 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 02:44:54 am »
I think it works more like real-life? You'd have to check yourself.

Offline Francois424

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 03:14:52 am »
Gladly, just waiting on the next official build to be out.  ;D

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 09:18:32 pm »
you might want to take a look at the "globeSeasons" option in the options.cfg - I think that's what you are asking for :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 07:48:31 am »
Hello everyone. Hope to see more gamers supporting this great great project!

Offline Parental Advisory

• Sergeant
  • Aliens exist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 12:05:21 am »
Blarg. I'm Blarg from the Blarg Nebula, I fly a small UFO around Florida and work at Burger King.

In all beautiful, yet, unfortunate reality! I'm Matthew from the US, specifically Florida. I recently started getting into the XCOM Series and after a few DOS mishaps I decided to see if there was any mods for it and I found this.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 10:16:47 am »
Welcome Parental Advisory. A late welcome, I know, but make yourself feel at home here in this cozy base :)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 08:38:56 pm »
Hello everyone,

Jei from the USA, I have been watching finally decided to join, I am a computer Engineer, that likes game development, i have tried to help in many teams, sadly they all have "followed the light" Have played Xcom since... it was released it was the only think that kept me sane while in the service :D Attempted to help in Xenocide, with good old RedKnight.

In any case i hope the project keeps moving forward, maybe i will help out with the Spanish translation there are a few strings that i don't like and considered incorrect Spanish.

See you around. 

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 09:55:23 pm »
Hello everyone,

Jei from the USA, I have been watching finally decided to join, I am a computer Engineer, that likes game development, i have tried to help in many teams, sadly they all have "followed the light" Have played Xcom since... it was released it was the only think that kept me sane while in the service :D Attempted to help in Xenocide, with good old RedKnight.

In any case i hope the project keeps moving forward, maybe i will help out with the Spanish translation there are a few strings that i don't like and considered incorrect Spanish.

See you around.
Oh another Xenocide comrade :D what department were you in?

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 06:39:54 am »
Oh another Xenocide comrade :D what department were you in?
I was in creative text dept. I am not a programmer, i can read and used to debug at one point in my life but didn't keep up with it. :S

It is nice this project is moving a long nicely, i hope eventually original art will be created for this game.

Offline abrakadabra

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 11:20:19 am »
Hi Yall, I've been a fan to this game since I bought amiga 1200.
XCOM 4 LIFE :)

Offline Nightwolf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 02:12:50 pm »
Just want to say hello from Spain! :)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 10:32:30 am »
Kharille.  Played Rebelstar raiders in late 80's...  Rebelstar, laser squad.  They all stuck to a model that worked.  The latest firaxis product was predictable 1 step forward and 20 steps backward.  Nice game but a graphic intensive simplification....