Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 184098 times)

Offline Souljah1214

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2014, 02:40:03 pm »
Hi all! Im the new rookie around the block... but first of all... a big thank you for resurection this little gem:) I like the concept of OXC a lot... eventough i cant be a bigger help to the brains behind OXC then play testing (maybe some translations... i speak so-so english, some german and hungarian as native) ... i was thinking about a couple of ideas.... first of all.... bigger variety in basic XCOM gear, since its an international organization, its not a good idea to have a single contractor for the latest equipment... But i guess it takes too much work to have multiple rifles (some better in accuracy, some has bigger clips etc). The second idea is to have Terrorcitys in fashion with the Cydonia mission (multiple map, same battle). And I didnt wanted to sound like a smartass....

Oh yeah... the introduction... My name is Richard.... im a big fan of all kinds of tactical turnbased (i cant stress it enough, since its a dying genre) wargames... XCOM was for me the first title in line, showed by a classmate of mine back in 95 i think (a long long time ago, a galaxy not that far:D) I like to hang around with my friends kicking alien butts as they try to invade our fragile planet. Im glad i found this little community!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:44:35 pm by Souljah1214 »

Offline Branes51

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2014, 02:52:04 am »
Hi, I'm Rick, aka Branes51. I'm a retired network admin and pc consultant. I"m also the lead guitar in a classic rock band in the Tampa area.

I've been a game since the days of the Atari 400, and I've been playing Xcom since it first came out many years ago on my Amiga 2000. I still think it's one of the best games of the pc strategy genre ever made; certainly up there with Civilization, Syndicate, JA, Age of Empires, and a few other greats. I love the open license idea. The game is much more interesting with all the mods. I especially like that it supports XcomUtil and EUExtended style mods.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2014, 07:52:42 am »
I am the_third_curry. I'm only 21 and I know X-com primarily from the many, many hours that my dad invested in the PS1 version. I've been watching the project for well over a year, and I've been playing around with some mods, but I haven't actually done much of anything on the forum. Congratulations on version 1.0.

niculinux

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2014, 11:28:56 pm »
Hello, the name's niculinux, i'm from italy a linux enthusisast yet inexperienced user of that os, but most of all i'm an eager xcom fan since the '90 (played it since 1998 and such games like jagged alliance 2. But then I'm afraid i cannot help that much on the forum because i deal with complete different thinghs in real life, i've degree in law so hsve mercy :-[ :> ()

I'd join too on congratulation on ver 1.0 <3 keep the great work up
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:46:29 pm by niculinux »

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2014, 12:12:33 am »
Welcome to the forum! :)

Don't worry, I am no computer scientist either,  I have a degree in Ecology and even I managed to create some basic mods and helped to improve the more advanced ones. It's easier than you think.

niculinux

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2014, 09:42:21 am »
Welcome to the forum! :)

Don't worry, I am no computer scientist either,  I have a degree in Ecology and even I managed to create some basic mods and helped to improve the more advanced ones. It's easier than you think.

Thanks!

[offtopic]Hope one day someone may pos a fool-proof guide about editing, for eg. I can't even figure where to start  ??? plus, don't know if i'll have enough spare time[/offtopic]

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2014, 08:55:52 pm »

[offtopic]Hope one day someone may pos a fool-proof guide about editing, for eg. I can't even figure where to start  ??? plus, don't know if i'll have enough spare time[/offtopic]

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Ruleset_Reference_%28OpenXcom%29

80% of what you'll need is here. :)

Offline gunquinn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2014, 11:07:30 pm »
Hello, big time strategy fan here, never heard of XCOM until I saw some AngryJoe coverage of the new one coming out, loved the idea of it straight away and I was surprised I never bought it back when I had a PS1.

I played a little bit of the original before the reboot came out, liked it, but the controls showed their age.
OCX has fixed everything I found difficult, the controls are smooth and easy to use, especially when it comes to moving the globe and the camera, really good stuff.

The funny thing is the XCOM style of careful, deliberate and bit-by-bit movement was a thing I used to do all the time when I used to play games like Cannon Fodder and Red Alert and finding XCOM ten years later like this has been like reuniting with a long lost parent or something.

It's the game I always subconsciously wanted but never played :D

Hope to see you all around and share some war stories with you! ;D

Offline Zandman64

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »
Hey all!  This is Zandman64 checking in and saying "hi"i  8)  I've been a longtime fan of the UFO:Enemy Unknown and LOVE the OpenXcom project so far.

I'm having a little difficulty navigating the forum however and I can't seem to find the FAQ section......can anyone point me in the right direction please?  I'm having issues installing the mods for version 1.0 and would like to check out the FAQ's for sdome simple solutions.

Any assistance would be appreciated :0)

Zandman
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:31:13 pm by Zandman64 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2014, 04:22:06 pm »
Yo Zandman,

I don't know any FAQ like this, anyway install instructions are something that should be in the readme file (if there's none, that's a bad modder! Bad!). Nevertheless, installing mods in OpenXCom is fairly straightforward:
- Copy the contents of the Ruleset folder to your Ruleset folder
- Copy the contents of the Resources folder to your Resources folder
- Run the game
- Go to "Mods" and enable the mod.
If the mod has other folders, like MAPS or ROUTES or TERRAIN, it's frine to copy them too. However, I would advise avoiding mods that have their own exe or dll files, since they tend to be unstable or at last require some proficiency from the user.
Hope this helps :)

Offline Zandman64

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2014, 04:32:43 pm »
Thanks Solarius Scorch, thanks for that, I'll give that a try :0)

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »
Hello. I'm new here. I'm a long-time X-Com fan - I started in 1996 with TftD. I played OpenXcom for just a week and I already love it.
I also like Laser Squad which I played for the first time in 1993 or something like that.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »
Well it's about time I write something here. :)

Hello everyone, my name is André and I'm from Portugal. I first started playing X-COM: Apocalypse in 1997 (which is still one of my favorites in the series) and I only got to UFO Defense later. I've been active on the X-COM community ever since and I've written a 693 page fan fiction novel about the original game called XCOM: The Unknown Menace, as well as being a part of the UFO2000 team (a multiplayer remake of the original game) and I'm currently an administrator for the UFOPaedia.

That's about it. :)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2014, 10:20:42 pm »
Well it's about time I write something here. :)

Hello everyone, my name is André and I'm from Portugal. I first started playing X-COM: Apocalypse in 1997 (which is still one of my favorites in the series) and I only got to UFO Defense later. I've been active on the X-COM community ever since and I've written a 693 page fan fiction novel about the original game called XCOM: The Unknown Menace, as well as being a part of the UFO2000 team (a multiplayer remake of the original game) and I'm currently an administrator for the UFOPaedia.

That's about it. :)
Wow, there's other fans in Portugal??? :o There's hope for us yet.

Offline SenniTrebor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2014, 01:05:29 am »
Hello. my name is Bob. and I have been playing wargames since 1970, RPGs and Diplomacy since 1974 (1st generation- ie preD&D). Even published some boardgames with friends (anyone remember Robert the Bruce). And RPG scenarios eg The Daughters of Darkness. Unfortunately I left games design just as computer games were starting. Biggest mistake of my life.
Now here I am reevaluating this old favourite and considering doing a computer games design course at Abertay Uni, here in Dundee, just to contribute. Free education from the Scottish Government. (Scots wha hae and all that). One of the games I considered publishing was based on the killing of hostages in Iraq during the first war, unfortunately ethics got in the way and I remained poor.
Since then I have aquired among others an MA in Social Anthropology, BSc in Osteopathy, PGDip in Nursing, I am a Fellow of the RAI, and was a member of the now defunct GDGA. Basically life's been interesting if not very lucrative. Also writing a screen play for kicks.
Beset by sleep apnoea (apnea in American) I keep funny hours and may appear on these forums at any time (so beware).