aliens

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 186151 times)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:34:59 am »
I thought that such thread could be nice ;) For new members, who would like to say hello :)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:13:23 pm »
But you didn't even introduce yourself :-)

Guess I'll start - My name's Mark, I'm a professional software developer by day, and hobby software developer by night (how exciting, I hear you cry). The link in my signature is to my hobby software developer site

If you've not seen, I've contributed several patches of code for the Geoscape on OpenXcom, with some more coming as soon as I can regain my motivation.

Am currently working on a remake of Werewolves of London (C64/Amstrad/Spectrum) with a friend

Here's a few favourites (obviously not all)

Films: The Crow, Battle Royale, The Labyrinth, Corpse Bride
Games: Creatures (C64), Monkey Island (Amiga/PC), Street Fighter 2/3/4 (PC/XBOX/Arcade), SuperCars 2 (Amiga), XCOM:TFTD (PC)
Music: Machinae Supremacy, Cryptic Wintermoon, Beseech, Season's End, Therapy?

Offline Davorian

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:34:38 pm »
Hi all!

I like your stuff Mark!

I'm a software engineer who's currently slumming it as a medical student (big change I know).  I've loved UFO:EU since I first discovered it as a kid and wasted many hours playing it that probably should have been studying :)

I haven't contributed anything to openxcom yet, but I like the work done on this project so far, so I'm hunting for places where I can add something.

I've also written a saved game editor for the original game, which anyone is welcome to check out at https://www.rubikscomplex.net/ufosge/ if they're interested - it does all the basics and I'm planning on adding more features!

Anyway, big thanks to michal, supsuper and all the others for starting and continuing the project!

Belcanzor

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:26:48 am »
This game never die!
Another X-Com.  Hope this one survive. I like your idea.
You think is a way to add the Seb76 features into game? Already see you "about" and look like yes.
Best of luck.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:22:34 am »
This game never die!
Another X-Com.  Hope this one survive. I like your idea.
You think is a way to add the Seb76 features into game? Already see you "about" and look like yes.
Best of luck.
Wrong thread; You're supposed to be introducing yourself here

Belcanzor

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 08:01:16 pm »
True. Enter to see and got confused.
Eduardo, from Argentina, 42 years. Play this game from the day it show here. The original floppy is right now totally unreadable.

Offline Davorian

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:47:19 am »
You still have the original floppy?  That's awesome!  Any chance of some pics?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 10:06:03 am »
Tom, from Belgium, 30 years. I also had both UFO and TFTD on floppy, unfortunatly when I moved, 10 years ago already, all my floppies ended up in the trashbin.
I have all sorts of programming experience both professional:
- assembler in machines that controlled locks on rivers, robots that assemble cars, ship simulators in laboratory
- warehouse management software for big companies like IKEA, etc but also for airline companies to manage spare parts of airplanes
- finetuning of Oracle databases
and in my free time:
- websites, games, all kinds of tools

Other hobbies are making music (yes, I've done remakes for some xcom music), playing games (everything), cooking, making documentaries about nature(filming).

Offline DaiShiva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 11:13:05 pm »
Ben from Arizona, USA
Never had floppies of the original games, got them all on CD. Got a CS degree and wrote some editors for the XCom games, always wanted to recreate the originals though so I'm pretty excited about this project

They taught us java and c# in college, had to learn c++ on the job, love it
Toyed around with the Abuse source code, would also like to make that into a better more extensible engine (it works, just dont know how much of the code is actually used or what it does!)

Offline sir_nacnud

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:58:14 am »
Hi All,

Duncan, 24,  from Kansas, USA.  I have a bachelors degree in CS and work as a Software Engineer.  I do C++ development for desktops and embedded devices.

I first played XCOM: UFO Defense in 2000 when it was shipped on a classic game collection disc with the July 2000 issue of PC Gamer.  Disc included other classics such as Duke Nukem 3d, Ultima Underworld, Alone in the Dark, and others.  See Reddit post about how epic the game disc was: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dw6gb/best_magazine_disc_ever_pc_gamer_july_2000/

I stumbled upon this project from the XCOM: UFO Defense wikipedia page, and thought it looked pretty awesine.  Being a XCOM fan, I started poking around in the source code and ended up here.  I am really excited about this project and would like to help complete it.

alienjon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »
Hey guys.  Name's Jon and I first started playing UFO Defense at a friend's house as a kid in '95.  Got the game for myself at X-Mas the following year.  Of all the games I own, this is the one I think I've gone back to the most (just got the steam editions of the 3 REAL xcom games (sorry, enforcer and interceptor don't count).  I'm currently completing a masters program for social work, but have done amateur programming as a hobby for a number of years now.  I've even attempted starting a few varied projects (three of which are on sourceforge), but I usually get stunted once I get to a conceptual/artistic roadblock (I'm am clearly not an artist!).

In playing through the games on Steam I was reminded how slowly they plan on an emulator (dosbox is great, but it's painful to see the low frame rate when scrolling or firing a weapon) and it was around then that I came across this project.  Despite its developmental state, I'm impressed with the improvements made so far (particularly, again, the speed!), and the plan for where it is going!  I hope to look through the code and see if I can't contribute some stuff myself.

Offline notfruitybutloopy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 02:01:34 am »
Sup?

Well I found my way here some how through 4chan, youtube, and that special gift my dad gave my brother in 1998. Ever since then i've played X-COM periodically at least once a month in one way shape or form.

Erm as far as modding goes I'm mainly a texture kind of guy. As in like... a boss. I once got some sod and put it above my scanner for the best grass effects possible... I then proceded to buy a new scanner : ) Anyways, I'm here, and who knows, I'll likely be of use at one time or another.

Offline Nemor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 04:54:53 pm »
Recently I have been feeling really nostalgic (partly because my graphics card died and I only have an old one as spare) meaning I can only play old games, which is a good thing when you think about it.

So I got back into TBS games such as X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2 etc and I felt like browsing for some updates to the graphics or remakes and found this, as well as others.

My names Will, glad to see someone is improving the Original with updated Graphics as it keeps more to the roots of the game we all enjoyed. I'm sure I speak for many others when I say I appreciate the work you're putting into this, I'll be watching this closely.

I do a little bit of coding but I'm no guru, I do some 3D Modelling (obviously of no use to a sprite-based engine) and if anything pops up I feel I can help with I'll give the dev(s) a shout!

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:02:59 pm »
Sorry, just noticed this page.

I'm Tony from Australia and now in Hong Kong.  Like most people here, I'm a fanatical (near lunatic) X-Com fan.  Actually I just love good computer games in general.

I know nothing about programming but I'm a businessman with a keen eye and loads of suggestions.  Hope I can contribute by giving loads of suggestions and rebut bad ideas.  And I hope I don't offend many people in doing so but I just love the game too damn much.

Offline Templayer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 07:35:33 am »
HI, John Templayer goes ON-LINE ! I'm feeling naked being an Electrotechnician among so many software workers ! 19 years, from Moravia (Czech Republic), you could say that X-Coms came too late to me, but I still enjoy them. The best UFO game in my opinion is a modded UFO: Aftershock, the second is X-Com: Enemy Unknown (UFO: Defense), the third X-Com Apocalypse, then the other two games from Afterseries !

My hobbies are: translating projects, making documents, game developing, making videos, making walkthroughs of games (LPing), workouting and historical swordmanship.

Check my youtube channel (just browse Templayer on YT) for translations (I can translate from/into Czech, English and German, usually translating something that hasn't been translated yet), Let's Playing games with commentary that can be turned on/of (double language of Czech and English + translation into each other) that are usually very rare (so no X-Com or Afterseries yet, but planned)

Check out my video called A Tribute To Enemy Unknown (HD AMV) for one of my best videos !