Author Topic: You know you're addicted to OpenXCom when...  (Read 6594 times)

Offline SHADO

• Captain
    • View Profile
You know you're addicted to OpenXCom when...
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:12:20 pm »
...you get the chills and shakes when there are no new Git builds within the last hour.
...downing UFOs is top priority; recovering alien artifacts is second; eating, sleeping & bathing are a distant ninth.
...your e-mails to SupSuper, Warboy & other devs always begin with: "Hey man, I'm hurtin'... Could you help me out?..."  :-[

Feel free to add any other symptoms.  :P

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: You know you're addicted to OpenXCom when...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:21:50 am »
... you spend every waking hour scrolling through endless lines of code, looking for some seemingly inconsequential bug.
... you don't sleep, because reapers are still broken.
... you sleep, and you dream about a discussion with 15 versions of yourself trying to figure out what might cause reapers to do that.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:26:42 am »
...when you wake up, you notice a Reaper that is still broken next to your bed :)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:44 am »
There is still hope Warboy... look at how I managed to get my life back. I go outside with my family and do non-openxcom things :) I'm clean for almost a year now! While in the early days I was probably as addicted as you are :) I can ignore bugreports and keep away from IRC.... it's not easy, but it is possible.

Volutar

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:10:11 pm »
Daiky, if not Warboy, this project probably be almost dead for now (most probably frozen), considering you're kinda out of business. It's not about addiction, it's about responsibility.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:59:02 pm »
Daiky, if not Warboy, this project probably be almost dead for now (most probably frozen), considering you're kinda out of business. It's not about addiction, it's about responsibility.
This thread is called "You know you're addicted to OpenXCom when...". :P It's meant to be humorous.

Anyways that is hardly fair. This is a voluntary project. Daiky signed up to single-handledly develop the Battlescape, and he proudly did it for nearly three years. I'm sure he's filled whatever "responsibility" you think he has, and the project will be just fine either way. I doubt you will find most people, even Warboy, still focusing on OpenXcom after a few years.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:03:37 pm »
... when, a thread is started, and people derail it to discuss how much coding they have done to produce a remake (update | revision) of X-COM.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:33:26 pm »
It's meant to be humorous.
Obviously Volutar doesn't like humor, and thanks for the reply Super :)

I think we're in the wrong thread anyway, the OP was talking about addicted openxcom users, not devs :)

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 03:19:25 am »
This is XCOM addiction. When someone asks you the time, you say: March.

Offline SHADO

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 04:46:38 am »
...when you wake up, you notice a Reaper that is still broken next to your bed :)
God- I HATE when that happens!  ;)

I think we're in the wrong thread anyway, the OP was talking about addicted openxcom users, not devs :)
Nah- it's all good.  The sooner you admit to having an OpenXCom problem- whatever its form- the sooner you can start getting better.  I only do OXC recreationally and therefore don't have a problem. <eyes twitching> <hands trembling>