Author Topic: Fire and Smoke behaviours  (Read 1443 times)

Offline 8mono

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Fire and Smoke behaviours
« on: June 01, 2021, 07:10:11 am »
I'm fairly new to modding and I'm not sure if it's feasible to make fire and smoke do a few different things:

I am aware that fire left by explosions/rockets/grenades can apply damage to objects, is this a fixed amount? I've seen  fires spread to explosive containers and SOME explode, some don't, I want to have very short lived superheated thermite/plasma fires that can melt almost anything sans UFO walls over time(or maybe they can even melt the UFO walls ,who knows) Is this fire behaviour hardcoded and unchangeable? I wish this to be a separate fire type while keeping the regular fire the same

Are the sprites for fire editable? I want to change them to be green for example in the case of this particular fire, I am not aware if you can without changing the default one

A similar case for smoke, there is only one type of smoke sprite and I'd love to have persistant gas clouds that'd use these but tinted, they don't have to travel or necessarily do anything fancy graphically

Now for the harder part, I want to make Nightmare (Morale damaging/Fatal wounds inducing) and Toxin (Hit points damaging) Gas grenades, and want the gas/smoke from these grenades to damage you, it would be doing the same behavior smoke does just with damage to either HP/morale/armor or inducing wounds (I'd love to have the xenonauts approach to getting damage when you walk into it but the AI would be unfairly punished I think and would end up killing itself so often) Is this something I can script?

I am currently making a "Blood clotting smoke" grenade that ignores all conventional real life medical knowledge and basically stops wounds, it won't heal you but it will stop 1 fatal wound per turn, obviously I can't get the wound part to work yet, is there any way to remove wounds by standing in this "special" smoke the grenade emits? Alternatively it can simply work by doing it to anything caught in the blast radius, it doesn't have to persist but I'd love it if it did

I think I can work on making other things by now but I am curious as to what have modders done with Fire and Smoke behaviours in the game

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fire and Smoke behaviours
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 06:19:51 pm »
Smoke and fire is now not moldable, especially if you want have different types of smoke.
One way I could see to have behavior like this is make more a beacon that you prime and throw on ground, it not explode but stay active on ground.
And on every turn script check all close units and update their wounds or health.

Offline 8mono

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Fire and Smoke behaviours
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 06:30:37 pm »
Smoke and fire is now not moldable, especially if you want have different types of smoke.
One way I could see to have behavior like this is make more a beacon that you prime and throw on ground, it not explode but stay active on ground.
And on every turn script check all close units and update their wounds or health.

I feared as much with the first part, but about the beacon part that makes a lot of sense. thanks!