Author Topic: No Advent in 1.91  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: No Advent in 1.91
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2021, 02:24:33 pm »
MiB aren't alien patsies. They're the stormtroopers of the NWO, or a faction thereof that wants to survive the invasion and retain their cushy seats. Or something like that.

They're also 100% human, last I looked. Transhuman, maybe, but not straight-up alien.

Hybrids and MiB are different factions with different goals. They cooperate against X-Com, but that's it. Of course, from our POV, they're both humans with alien stuff mixed in who fight against you, so they're indeed relatively similar.

Ultimately, the difference is that the MiB is a legitimate - if hostile - human organisation and the Hybrid knockoff isn't.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 02:26:59 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2021, 02:34:46 pm »
MiB aren't alien patsies. They're the stormtroopers of the NWO, or a faction thereof that wants to survive the invasion and retain their cushy seats. Or something like that.

They're also 100% human, last I looked. Transhuman, maybe, but not straight-up alien.

Hybrids and MiB are different factions with different goals. They cooperate against X-Com, but that's it. Of course, from our POV, they're both humans with alien stuff mixed in who fight against you, so they're indeed relatively similar.

Ultimately, the difference is that the MiB is a legitimate - if hostile - human organisation and the Hybrid knockoff isn't.

I quite agree, and I would like to expand the hybrids as well. But MiBs take priority.

Offline FireStarTracer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 09:57:54 pm »
I think that kinda depends on how you define the factions in question.  I mean since we aren't going to be talking about the strict/literal interpretation of a faction like Advent, there's alot of wiggle room in how you apply it in a 'modified' form.  And alot of the existing factions could incorporate one facet or another (we know Exalt originally toyed around with Gene-modding for example, so it strikes me that 'alien Hybrids' is just another step in THAT direction.)   But the Dagon cult ALSO makes changes to some of its adherents so there's an element of that same potential for a different approach to 'hybrids.'

It might leave other aspects like 'Government fights X-com' but that could still be handled in other ways too if desired.   Again it comes down to how you fit the ideas together.

But this is pretty much what the MiBs are. They are rather underused right now, and I'm working on that, but we don't need to duplicate their role.

Well then that just makes my ideas even more redundant! :D   Which is okay, I'll be curious to see how the MIB evolve (My first encounter with them was.. interesting to say the least.  I decided to wait til turn 10 of the 'crop circles' mission and see what happened.)