aliens

Author Topic: Abort mission penalty  (Read 1579 times)

Offline bombom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Abort mission penalty
« on: April 24, 2021, 03:57:11 am »
I am a new player. I went on a cult safehouse mission. Though I was relatively well, two of my agents ending up getting shot, which made me run out of medical aids. So, I decided to retreat to the craft, confident that I will still get a nice score from killing several cultists. Alas, because of the -100 penalty my score ended being negative. As I previously aborted another mission without a penalty (I forget which), this was unexpected. It would make sense to have some kind of text in the briefing that would warn about the penalty, and ideally provide an in-universe explanation of why it is there.

By the way, I am loving the mod! Thanks!

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Abort mission penalty
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 11:34:49 am »
IIRC, in the latest version of the mod, you get a mention of the "despawn penalty" of these missions. That's the score penalty you get if you ignore them or you retreat from them if there are civvies running around (although, in the latter's case, it doesn't tend to be as bad). Since some of your agents died, you got negative points, which made you go into negatives. That's why you should be careful and try to kill more of the bad guys than letting your own die.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 02:56:08 pm »
IIRC, in the latest version of the mod, you get a mention of the "despawn penalty" of these missions. That's the score penalty you get if you ignore them or you retreat from them if there are civvies running around (although, in the latter's case, it doesn't tend to be as bad). Since some of your agents died, you got negative points, which made you go into negatives. That's why you should be careful and try to kill more of the bad guys than letting your own die.

No, the despawn penalty has been a thing for quite some time now. What OP refers to is a separate "retreat penalty" which has been introduced fairly recently, but I am not sure (or rather too lazy too look it up) which missions actually have it. Maybe Solarius can shed some light on this?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 11:02:59 am »
No, the despawn penalty has been a thing for quite some time now. What OP refers to is a separate "retreat penalty" which has been introduced fairly recently, but I am not sure (or rather too lazy too look it up) which missions actually have it. Maybe Solarius can shed some light on this?

This is a mission per mission setting, but generally speaking, abort penalties are applied to non-rescue missions. They are somewhat lighter than despawn penalties.