Author Topic: [QUESTION] Openxcom turn timer.  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Ryskeliini

• Captain
    • View Profile
[QUESTION] Openxcom turn timer.
« on: April 02, 2021, 11:28:27 pm »
Hello for long time, idk if this correct forum section to ask this, but is there a way to mod some sort of turn timer into openxcom?

I think these kind of timers would be fun to add into openxcom, since it brings lots of pressure to player to operate in the mission as fast as possible, and what that causes... mistakes. lots of mistakes.
For now ,we have infitive time to plan how we execute our plans in the missions, but with the timer, it would be "funnier" when we execute plans hastly, like in "real situations", nothing is really planned forward. And it brings some movemntum into missions, like someone tapping on your shoulder and saying "keep moving, keep moving" ...

Orginally this idea came from space hulk boardgame, where you have 2 minutes to make your decisions as marine player ,in your turn. And it is lots of fun, specially when you have bigger forces, you must think faster the outcome.

To be more "extra" , the higher ranked units could bring more time to the timer, lets say some one is the captain rank, it brings 30 seconds more to the timer (if the orginal timer is 2 minutes, then it would be 2:30) ... altough thinking further, this would make game easier, and exploit the captain class to stay further from the front.... but if he/she gets killed the timer goes back to 2 minutes per turn.

So yeah, just asking if this could be possible in openxcom, i think you get the idea what i was suggesting, even trough my horrible english lol. cheers mates! ... also quick horrid image edit how it look maybe ingame :p
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:31:31 am by Ryskeliini »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: (QUESTION) Openxcom turn timer.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 11:38:15 pm »
April 1st was yesterday :)

But yeah, theoretically it is possible to implement a timer with a relatively small effort.

Offline Ryskeliini

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: (QUESTION) Openxcom turn timer.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 11:58:04 pm »
so basically you could create a bot that hovers your mouse cursor forcefully into "turn end" button after 2 minutes ,even if you struggle fighting against it with mouse movement, it would push the button lol :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:34:15 am by Ryskeliini »

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
Re: [QUESTION] Openxcom turn timer.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 11:15:58 am »
Well, as I asked some people, all of them are against any real-time things, that would not let them think carefully. We were discussing dogfight possible changes, but I would say it is related to battlescape too. It's up to you what to put to OXCE backlog, but I would not like this feature.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 02:43:45 pm »
... but I would not like this feature.
+1 !

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 02:58:11 pm »
chill... I didn't say anything about implementing it... I just politely replied to a long-time forum member that it is possible

and even if I implemented it, for whatever reason, it would still be optional as everything else

take your pitchforks and torches elsewhere

Offline Ryskeliini

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 05:46:00 pm »
Oww my head, but this..  as a optional feature to choose from the ocx modlist , not making into xcom as permanent, that would be awful idea lol.

Im sure majority of people wouldnt like this feature ,but just for the ppl who look more challenge. Good to know that its possible to make, i wonder how the gamespeed would mess the timer then, hmm...