aliens

Author Topic: Non-verbal commentary: ARCONATH TFTD SUPERHUMAN PLAYTHROUGH  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Windwalker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Non-verbal commentary: ARCONATH TFTD SUPERHUMAN PLAYTHROUGH
« on: December 16, 2020, 08:38:49 pm »
Hello everyone.
First allow me to thank the amazing people who have created openxcom.
Unlike most of you, I started playing the series with TFTD. It was the game that changed me from a boy to a man. It's many lessons (and scars) on me are still strongly felt.
Over the years its numerous bugs and odd design choices had began to make themselves felt as well. But with the Advent of OpenXCOM (See what I did there? Advent?) it suddenly became a fresh game for me. Now I can enjoy the best game of my life a second time as if it's the first! This is a blessing few people could have felt during their lives.
So I decided to make a youtube playthrough of it. I am also providing non-verbal, text-based commentary all over the video.
I would be glad if you watched and commented on the video, to help me develop this format into a much healthier form.

You can find the first video here

The follow-up is on edit right now, and should be released within a couple of days.
Thanks in advance, best regards!

Offline LuckyClover

• Captain
  • Trying my best :)
    • View Profile
Re: Non-verbal commentary: ARCONATH TFTD SUPERHUMAN PLAYTHROUGH
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:58:53 am »
Sounds great-I will check it out :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 07:40:12 pm »
Sounds great
Sound? This is silent lets play :>

Offline LuckyClover

• Captain
  • Trying my best :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 10:52:14 pm »
It wasnt so silent when aquatoid get hit with torpedo  8)

Offline Windwalker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 06:24:22 pm »
Part 2 is now up and will premiere in a couple of minutes :)

This time I attempted some "radio chatter" taking place between aquanauts and xcom command. Nothing serious, a little bit funny indeed.

If you like this style and would like to see more of it, or a different type of it (like very serious tone, darker tone, or even more funnier tone of speech) please comment under the video.

Editing a video in this manner takes significant time, and as a father with an 8-month toddler, time is of essence. If you enjoy this type of
text-based commentary, please consider to like, share, subscribe etc. to make the channel more visible.

Thanks everyone, and happy hunting.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 05:07:00 am »
I just finished watching Part 2 with a friend.

Editing a video in this manner takes significant time, and as a father with an 8-month toddler, time is of essence.

Thank you for taking the extra time to edit in text and "radio chatter", it definitely enhanced the experience.

Spoiler:
In (Part 1: 4:32) your use of pointers to highlight the entry points was a nice touch.

That Coelacanth is a bullet magnet! (Part 2: 4:12 11:56 12:04)
Nice job getting it and the rest of your soldiers out in one piece.

(Part 2: 17:46) was a good use of the time during suspended gameplay. I agree with you about the ambiance. As creepy as the original battlescape music in X-COM: UFO Defense was, there is something about the score of X-COM: Terror From The Deep that just seems to ratchet up the tension.
If you like this style and would like to see more of it, or a different type of it (like very serious tone, darker tone, or even more funnier tone of speech) please comment under the video.

Your current style is very entertaining, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your campaign.

Offline Windwalker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 02:45:17 pm »
Your current style is very entertaining, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your campaign.

Thanks Martian! Both to you and your friend!

I don't know why but I felt like explaining the game and its intricacies as if someone who has never played TFTD would watch these videos. So all the explanations are maybe wearing it out a little bit. But I feel like over time as the campaign progresses, the while explanation text will get rarer, and radio chatters and inner thoughts will become more common. I even think of doing a little bit of text animation, but for that to happen the explanation texts need to get significantly reduced.

Anyway, the rest is coming for sure, as I'm having too much fun playing and editing. I hope I can keep up with 2-3 videos per week.
Thanks for watching :)