Author Topic: [Answered] Alien sale triggering even when not needed  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
[Answered] Alien sale triggering even when not needed
« on: March 14, 2021, 05:07:42 pm »
A minor issue, but when you have storage limits enforced, and you can finish a mission with too many items AND too many live aliens. In OXCE the forced item sale comes first, then the live alien sale. It's possible for the player to have sold enough aliens during the item sale, but the live alien sale will come up anyway, even when no longer necessary.

This once confused me and led me to sell more aliens that I didn't need to sell, since it was a "forced sale" so I figured I had to. After retesting I now realize I could have just hit "sell", but still.

In regular OXC the Alien sale comes first, which prevents any confusion. That would be one way to solve it.

If there's a reason OXCE departed from that, another way - indeed, probably more convenient for the player - would be to delay the alien overflow check until after the item sale screen.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 10:57:47 am by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Alien sale triggering even when not needed
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 12:39:20 am »
I've "fixed" this a million times already, I honestly don't give a flying fu*k about this feature anymore. There's about a 100 issues with it in OXC, and I wish I could say there's only 50 issues left in OXCE, but more likely there's 200.

Either stop using limits or start building storage.

<Complaining over/>

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 11:44:19 am »
I've "fixed" this a million times already, I honestly don't give a flying fu*k about this feature anymore. There's about a 100 issues with it in OXC, and I wish I could say there's only 50 issues left in OXCE, but more likely there's 200.

Either stop using limits or start building storage.

<Complaining over/>
Haha. Okay. I stepped on an unexpected mine, eh? Didn't expect this to be a complicated area.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 12:30:05 pm »
Haha. Okay. I stepped on an unexpected mine, eh? Didn't expect this to be a complicated area.
Problem is simple: Some part of logic is always allowed to add new items even if overflow your storage (and when you lost storage space), other parts of code with this option enabled enforce that you can't have more items than storage.
There is clear conflict between this two parts that can't be easy solved.
Only real solution is:
A) You lost automatically items that do not fit storage (fix first part of problem), but you will lost important things that could break mods
B) Do not enforce limits (fix second part of problem)

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 03:48:47 pm »
Forced sale is a solution, no? Works fine for me, although I suppose there may be traps in Extended features, which I don't use.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 04:44:47 pm »
This is solution that make constant pains for Meridian as it need handle multiple complex cases that could arise again, like you first post.
Simply it require more code/developers time that is worth.