Author Topic: I beat vanilla on Superhuman. Is this mod worth a shot?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline DHangelfan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
I beat vanilla on Superhuman. Is this mod worth a shot?
« on: January 26, 2021, 02:45:28 am »
It looks interesting, but I've never watched X-Files and have zero interest in it.

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: I beat vanilla on Superhuman. Is this mod worth a shot?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 03:35:23 am »
This game references a lot of stuff, but funnily enough, I don't think I can recall a single X-Files reference (though it's been too long since I watched that show).

Vanilla X-Com isn't that hard even on Superhuman if you know how the game works and what to do. I'd say that a good part of the challenge in this mod is not knowing what to do. There's also way more enemies in most missions, and aliens in general tend to be far tougher (though by the time you meet them, you'll have way better weapons too).

You'll definitely find a good challenge in this mod, though its flavor in the early game is more about investigations and uncovering secrets. There will be a number of situations in the early game where you're badly outnumbered and outgunned, and situations where you'll need to retreat rather than fight it out. Since most missions have no penalties for withdrawing, knowing when you've started in a bad spot and aborting right away is crucial.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:36:57 am by Empiro »

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 09:27:04 am »
Me neither, but it simply references pop culture and other franchises/films and their knowledge isnt critical.
This mod is a masterpiece, with soo much content. Hell it has more weapons and enemy types than the entire XCOM franchise combined which is quite impressive.
The mod will also start out earlier than the vanilla and your first enemies wont be aliens that will one shot your soldier from full health but other humans or hostile monsters (That are melee, so fighting with them is a case of positioning and movement). And other humans will use human weapons so trading blows is actually a thing and not one shots on both sides and i find the early to mid game to be the best part of the mod. Where you feel each armor upgrade, going from kevlar vests to full military-grade armors, to full body heavy armour that reflects bullets left and right, turning your men in to a army of robocops as they march trough cultist outposts mowing people down with miniguns, mortars and automatic shotguns.

Though you might reconsider playing on the hardest difficulty, this mod will crap down your throat, Duke Nukem style because it really doesnt hold its punches. Some later missions, throwing + 60 enemies isnt a rare sight. Grenades will be one shotting your men across the map, creatures will one or two shot them in melee, your tank gets wrecked by a creature poking it with a spear three times. This is on top of having agents less disposable (You are meant to build them up overtime, so losing them is a considerable set back, though this mod also ofsets that by having better variation or just stronger variation of armours, like the end game armour lets your soldier eat heavy plasma hits without dying).

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 11:54:48 am »
try it, you´re in for a hell of a ride ;)

the mod itself is gigantic.
its basically a mash up of all xcom games ever. still feels very "xcom" though.

considering difficulty... its "challenging". even if you´re really good at the original game, might wanna consider starting on "veteran" (the mod is balanced for that), and prepare not to win the first few attempts... ;)

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 12:43:43 pm »
I don't recommend starting with X-COM Files if you ever only played vanilla. Final ModPack better introduces new mechanics, because there is way less of them.

For example popular "lethal injection" strategy doesn't work in X-COM Files.

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 10:03:41 pm »
Tell me please, what is it that lethal injection strategy? Quick googling gave nothing useful and so did this forum's search.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:25:36 am »
Tell me please, what is it that lethal injection strategy? Quick googling gave nothing useful and so did this forum's search.

Its just running up to the alien as close as possible and then shooting it. Bad aim rolls don't matter, because you will hit alien either way.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:28:57 am by JustTheDude »

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 12:49:28 am »
Weird, I never once used that strategy. It feels like it would just lead to tons of deaths.

The scout-sniper strategy, grenade relay/spam strategy, and rocket-all-the-buildings strategy tends to work really well for me at least.

Anyway, I'd recommend playing "Experienced" if you want a decent challenge and plan to play with limited/no reloading. "Veteran" is good if you don't mind a big challenge, squad wipes, and some frustration. The main difference is that there are often far more enemies on Veteran. I haven't played it, but from what I heard, Superhuman has absolutely ridiculous numbers of enemies, and every mission becomes a slog.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 02:07:27 am »
It would lead to deaths in X-COM Files, but leads to a ton of death of aliens if done in vanilla by rookies.

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 02:36:24 am »
Its just running up to the alien as close as possible and then shooting it. Bad aim rolls don't matter, because you will hit alien either way.
Thanks, I've understood. Indeed, it is harder in X-COM Files because of automatic melee counter against firing if the target occupies an adjacent tile. Gun is deflected and shots may go even up vertically.

In fact, this is one of the features that make X-COM Files worth playing -- you may develop new tactics comparing with the vanilla X-COM.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 11:35:47 am »
Thanks, I've understood. Indeed, it is harder in X-COM Files because of automatic melee counter against firing if the target occupies an adjacent tile. Gun is deflected and shots may go even up vertically.

Thank you, this is the best praise I could ask for. :)

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 01:16:13 pm »
Weird, I never once used that strategy. It feels like it would just lead to tons of deaths.

The scout-sniper strategy, grenade relay/spam strategy, and rocket-all-the-buildings strategy tends to work really well for me at least.

Anyway, I'd recommend playing "Experienced" if you want a decent challenge and plan to play with limited/no reloading. "Veteran" is good if you don't mind a big challenge, squad wipes, and some frustration. The main difference is that there are often far more enemies on Veteran. I haven't played it, but from what I heard, Superhuman has absolutely ridiculous numbers of enemies, and every mission becomes a slog.

I never used it either when playing vanilla a long time ago. But then, I did limit things that looked too exploity, like I never use PSI.

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 09:16:30 pm »
Vanilla PSI was always problematic and both super frustrating (like in TFTD when your guys start getting MC'ed in the back of the sub) and super OP in the hands of the player.

I think one of the things I like most about X-Com Files is that PSI is handled way better. It's still very powerful, but has several balancing factors to ensure that it doesn't completely dominate the game.

I also think that melee is way more viable in X-Com Files -- a lot of the weapons are really fast, and the CQC helps you far more than the aliens (who are often too stupid to move away).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:18:04 pm by Empiro »