aliens

Author Topic: Using the sprite combiner  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Blazen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Using the sprite combiner
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:52:48 pm »
I tried to use the sprite combiner to form a sprite sheet, which I believe is what it does, but after hitting the convert button it just changed to 'error' and I can't find out what the error is.
The images I'm trying to convert are .png and I have 11 of them. I've tried converting all 11, just 1, 8 as that's the default no. of rows and changing the no. of rows to 11 but it hasn't helped.
The images are being uploaded fine as I can see them under the tool.

Below the images I've uploaded it says this:  no result image yet click show - convert - convert

So is there only one error it can be or am I missing where it tells me what the error is.

Offline Blazen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Using the sprite combiner
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 05:41:30 pm »
I think the problem was that I was intending to fix the palette colours for the whole sprite sheet  instead of every image individually but the sprite combiner wants them to be in the correct palette first. Once I corrected the palette first it worked.

Additionally I think you need to make the images into multiples of 32 by 40 pixels before you put them through as well, the sprite combiner won't object if you don't but PCKView will when you try to import the sprite sheet.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
Re: Using the sprite combiner
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 09:40:18 pm »
re. PckView

yep. importing spritesheets requires them in exactly divisible dimensions.

terrain/unit - 32x40
bigobs - 32x48
scang - 4x4
loft - 16x16 (support in next release of Mapview)

8 bpp png/gif/bmp iirc.

https://github.com/kevL/OpenXCOM.Tools/blob/master/PckView/PckViewF.cs#L1652
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:26:13 am by kevL »