Author Topic: Small Plasma Hit (Mod/Test)  (Read 2227 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Small Plasma Hit (Mod/Test)
« on: February 16, 2021, 09:58:40 pm »
I really like the big green bfg-style flash used for the stargod plasma weapons, back when I made it I figured itd be used for the fusion torch or somesuch. Its entirely fitting for the heavy duty plasmas but I find it sorta obtrusive and overzealous for the lower end plasma guns that are far more numerous. So I made this smaller version with sparks and modded it to work on top of X-P.
(affects green plasma guns that do less damage than the Heavy Plasma).

tools used:  GrafX2 for android, QuickEdit for android
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 10:00:16 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Small Plasma Hit (Mod/Test)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 08:22:07 pm »
Which weapons do you have in mind? Anything less than 60 power?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:08:13 am »
I had set it to anything weaker than 100 damage
so Heavy Plasma, Sniper Plasma, Cyberdisk, stuff like that up into the hundreds is unaffected. That bigger flash is an important exclamation point.

but plasma rifle, reticulan plas, tri-shot, plasma sub, elite pistol - I figured for the overall power being inflicted its enough of a warning to see the green plasma projectile.

I actually would have wanted to make it a tiny bit larger but my art skills are crippled right now, I had to be sure it would stay lined up.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 06:19:01 pm »
Just my 2 cents: we already have few damage indicators (red hue, hit log, set on fire) so to introduce another one of different power threshold may get confusing. Haven't tired sprite in-game but I'd suggest to limit application to weapon type only: Pistol, Shootie, Rifle and similar Plasma equivalents (maybe just Pistol/Shootie equivalents, depending on how 'powerful' it looks). Completely ignoring actual damage being dealt having any influence. Imagine same weapon triggering both types of sprites, huh.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 09:58:08 pm »
@nilex
Thats not how the mechanics work. I dont think there's support for randomized impact sprites (random sounds yeah) or even changing them based on what damage points get rolled.

What we was meaning is which impact effect would be used based on the listed power rating. Each item is a different critter and it just so happens it does 52, 64, 80, or 115 listed power etc.

My idea was that the plasma flash is impressive but its like, for a Plasma Pistol or even Rifle considering that the UAC plasma gun and Keueger do like 60ish already... and you can get armor that has a decent chance of tanking these... it seems kinda over the top for those items.

The OG sprite is really nice (esp cyan version for tftd gauss) but considering a Rocket does 100ish and its a ROCKET I agree that the little green splash just doesn't fit what plasma guns do to characters or the alloy walls. The OG sprite might be okay for a Halo Plasma gun that probably does 30ish damage. X-P plasma guns would probably 1 or 2 shot master chief though.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 04:25:31 pm »
I used the sprite and set it for every plasma weapon that deals less than around 70 damage, there's aplenty of them. Plasma Rifle is deadly enough to warrant the old huge sprite, seeing how it can melt a gal wearing early armor in one shot quite easily.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 08:56:12 pm »
sounds good