aliens

Author Topic: Best way to research things  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Yirtimd2

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Best way to research things
« on: January 23, 2021, 09:23:15 am »
OK I found that if you open save file you can find there your research projects' statuses. I found that all projects need different time to research them and for example when you have five guys to research one project that needs sixteen points, you must wait 4 days to research it and you gonna loose FOUR (!) research points, because in that last day it has fiveteen researched points and it needs just one point to finish it and those four guys could make another research project and don't waste time here.

So my solution to useless wasting researchers' time is this - just open save file every time and watch how many points it needs and just assign researchers in the way they won't waste time. For example if I have two projects and they need 16 and 12 points I will assign 4 and 3 researchers and by doing this simple method I prevent wasting any research points!

P.S.: Or you can just assign 1 researcher for every project, then you don't need to open save file every time and look for research projects' statuses and just wait some time.

P.P.S: also I find it ridiculous that you need to waste 10+ (!) points to research some bandit or worker and you need only 4 points to research some gun. I think it must be vice versa because my jail is always full of these guys and I dont have enough researchers to waste time on them to get their very, very useful knowledge about Dark Dominion or some other things like "#059 Sometimes it is easier to just haul treasure into your craft and call it a day".

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to research things
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 05:47:17 pm »
Or You can just not meta so hard. There is no real worth in it. Unless you're playing jack sparrow chesty "less time in game" speedrun.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:33:02 pm »
AFAIK brainers' research performance varies between 50-150% or something (and likely set for the duration when a project gets assigned). Using above example, you could have 10 brainers researching a 100 cost project anywhere from 20 to 8 days. Point being there is no 'best' way. Sorry to crush your OCD OP.

As the other guy said it's better to develop natural sense of how many you assign, depending on rough project cost provided in-game. It's more rewarding than min-maxing it. Here's how I've done it, only breaking the rule once rushing something:
. 1 brainer
- 1 brainer
= 5 brainers
# all of em

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 04:16:30 am »
For clarity it the project cost that gets a roll +/- 50%. Not the brainer's output.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 12:52:16 am »
P.P.S: also I find it ridiculous that you need to waste 10+ (!) points to research some bandit or worker and you need only 4 points to research some gun. I think it must be vice versa because my jail is always full of these guys and I dont have enough researchers to waste time on them to get their very, very useful knowledge about Dark Dominion or some other things like "#059 Sometimes it is easier to just haul treasure into your craft and call it a day".

Powergaming-wise, it's unintuitive but the pinups are the best researches you can get early game.  Each #XXX research is 250 infamy, or ~80k at the end of the month, which really adds up.  Even if you wanted research instead of money you could use the extra booty to buy more brainers.  In practice ransoming/gambling tends to be better if you need pure money, but it really pays to research everyone once since then you get the infamy for researching that person, the ability to rob, infamy bonus for capturing instead of losing infamy, and a stab at one of those juicy informational researches.  Quite a lot for one research :)  Multiple researches on the same captive type, though.. that's a luxury when you have run out of things you really need.

Additionally, most people just spread brainers out so there's no more than 2 to a project anyways.  There aren't many extremely important things to beeline after february unless you get a sudden bottleneck opened up like a workshop.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:59:30 am by Greep »

Offline Yirtimd2

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 10:45:29 am »
Really!? i did not know you can get 250 points for #XXX things! Well then, I guess they are not so useless as I thought.

P.S.: also what is "Meta"? Wolfreal said "You can just not meta so hard" but what does it mean...

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 12:55:18 pm »
Meta is short for metagameing. It generally means playing a game as optimally as possible using knowledge not provided in game to ones advantage.

Offline Yirtimd2

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 05:50:34 am »
Oh ok. Well I guess this is really meta.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 03:39:53 pm »
Play how you like. Piratez is a tremendous mod in terms of scale, and while that makes it great in some ways, it does tend to make it somewhat incomprehensible without a little meta knowledge. Sometimes your forced to step outside the wall of the game to dig into exactly why something works as it does, or the connections between certain techs and items. 

Offline Yirtimd2

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 03:52:33 pm »
Yeah i guess it is true) Ok I will go full TriHard - mode then!