aliens

Author Topic: melee stats for all weapons - suggestions?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
melee stats for all weapons - suggestions?
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:36:25 pm »
the original xcom apparently featured melee stats for all weapons, but they were never implemented. I don't have a list of those stats, but maybe that's just as well:

I call for suggestions for those stats. or maybe some general mechanic for it?

my 2 cents: I'm not sure if we should allow melee attacks with all weapons, or even all items. you might argue that you can hit somebody with anything, but some things might just be a little too unwieldy to allow an attack. corpses come to mind. :D
1) since melee damage is not only influenced by object weight, but also by its density and possible sharp edges, it shouldn't be a simple weight*X formula.
2) I think melee attacks should be influenced by attacker stats, too (more strength -> more damage; more encumbrance -> less accuracy).
3) melee attacks should probably impart damage on the object used, too. if a high-strength soldier clubbed an alien with his rifle, the rifle might just break. all objects have armor values, so perhaps a simple "damage to enemy is also dealt to item" would suffice.

I guess some weapons are more suitable for hand-to-hand combat than others:
I know rifles are quite good - melee combat using rifles is part of soldier training.
Hitting somebody with a pistol is like using a small club - it doesn't do much damage, but is simple enough, so that would mean low damage, high accuracy.
Using heavy weapons is probably quite devastating - if you manage to hit at all, so that would mean high damage, low accuracy
I don't know about hitting somebody or something with explosives (ammo, grenades, rockets...). I guess if we allow it, it's the same as with a pistol.

Melee attacks using empty hands should probably be low damage, high accuracy, with damage being applied to the respective arm, right? (or perhaps a randomly selected limb?) So a heavily armored soldier (power suit) could get away with bashing fences or hedges or walls or even small trees in an orchard without problems, but the starting soldier should think twice about doing so.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: melee stats for all weapons - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:47 pm »
So, some necroposting for me.

Melee would be nice to have, weight*X as a formula though might make more sense when you think that aliens have armour that needs to be penetrated so just because your hitting an alien with a pointy end of a rocket doesn't mean it will pierce the aliens armour, although yes a corpse might to damage but probably not, could also make it a strength requirement like throwing range for hitting something with something and strength should be a damage modifier.

Does OpenXCom use the hidden melee skill?

Although with the goal of the game being mod-able then perhaps it should be a feature on all items with an individual value and damage type. A combat knife might do more damage then pistol-whipping a sectoid but I would guess it's more likely to kill the sectoid.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: melee stats for all weapons - suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:19 am »
i'm pretty sure that you can just add melee stats to any weapon and have melee attack become available on it, problem is, it'll use the weapon's damage value, which won't be a problem for most weapons, as their damage is dictated by their ammo rather than the weapon itself, but in the case of lasers, where no ammo is used, it will become a problem.

that is of course unless you modify the ruleset to allow for more than one damage value, or edit the code so that melee weapons will always do damage according to a formula, but that might nerf reapers pretty badly (chryssalids not so much, as their melee damage only really comes into play against tanks)