Author Topic: Battle Scape Mode for 'Advance' Interceptor Mode  (Read 35710 times)

Offline MrWigggles

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Battle Scape Mode for 'Advance' Interceptor Mode
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:22:05 pm »
So, I was doing some for lolz game designing for a Stargate game using xcom as its basis, and it struck me that you can do ship battles using the Battle Scape.

Almost everything can carry over, and it'd probably be overall simpler then the actual Battle Scape because  a majority of the verbs do not carry over.

Time Units for movement and verbs should translate pretty easily, but Reaction Fire would need to be changed to Reaction Evasion, which would null or reduce damage taken.

Bravery would still function with a panic crew, preventing the craft from acting.

And the x-com system for stat improvement through doing should also carry over. This may explicitly require 'Pilots' to have an in game ability to transfer stats between Interceptors and X-Com advance craft. It would also make losing interceptors more impactful then simply being a 600k fine, and some point penalty.

The scale of the Battlescape would need to change but this can be accomplished through art assets.

Vehicles would have to act similar to the multitile Units in the game, with possibly unique capability to taking 'internal' damage and possible some linkage through area specific damage and craft capability. I'm not sure how flexible the Wounds system, and its impact on Stats are though.

The map tiles themselves would need to behave different, with map tiles being shifted off to the one of the edges and being replaced with other map tiles to gain the feeling of the two craft moving over the earth.

Depending how awesome the Rulesets are, this kinda of Advance Interceptor Mode biggest headache would probably be the need for new art assets.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Battle Scape Mode for 'Advance' Interceptor Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:30:56 pm »
so it would be a 2D "skyscape" or perhaps "spacescape"... that would actually be very interesting...

you could use the cloud mechanics with changed graphics for clouds or space dust... asteroids to take cover behind in "spacescape" battles... intriguing. please go ahead and pursue this, I would love to see a concept of it. do you want some mock-up graphics for a simple UFO and interceptor? perhaps starting as single-tile units?

Offline MrWigggles

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:16 pm »
Uh... sure. Yea.

Little interceptors and little scout UFO for testing would be neat. I dont see that being the actual scale... Myself personally was seeing the Interceptor being a 2x3 tile Unit, but that might force the Battle Cruiser to exist only partially on the map, and cant really move.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:04:59 pm »
yes, scale might be a problem... especially if you want to go above 2x2 tiles with non-circular units, turning might become a problem: imagine trying to turn a 2x4 tile unit that is wedged between two others... I think the game engine doesn't account for these things at all. :(

all this can be avoided by limiting human craft to 1 tile, and making all UFOs circular. rather small, I know, but probably easier :)

Offline MrWigggles

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:05:37 pm »
Its something that can be played with, and experiment with.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55:07 pm »
ok, you asked for it... here's an interceptor model to replace the unarmored xcom soldier.

it's based off a free mig-29 model I found on the web, which appears to be the closest available plane. it's a fully functional xcom_0.pck file, including "walking" animations (thrusters) and an explosion as death animation. :D

Offline MrWigggles

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:50:16 am »
Neat thank you.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:17 am »
Wow, I like this idea. I'd love to see what you make out of this

One point though - are you going to support multi-craft interceptions?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 12:31:27 pm »
multi-craft interceptions?

+1

I sincerely hope so :)

I also see a lot of potential in this - which is why I immediately jumped into making that interceptor sprite :)

I'll see if I can make a generic UFO sprite as soon as I can find the time. Thinking about further sprites, I can think of another reason for NOT using multi-tile-sprites: they are a lot harder to create :P  maybe for now you can use the cyber-disc as the UFO?

maybe somebody is capable of programming a tool to help creators of multi-sprite units?

Offline MrWigggles

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:10:52 pm »
I dont know if thats really possible, My initial attempt is just to get an alt. battle scape for a one on one fight.

The Geoscape doesnt seem to have the concept of multi interceptors attacking a single UFO, or vice versa or multi UFO and multi Interceptor.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 02:44:49 pm »
Not in vanilla xcom, you are right. :D

Just make sure that you don't design the "skyscape" battles in a way that prevents us from adding multi-craft battles later ;)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 04:58:12 pm »
The Geoscape doesnt seem to have the concept of multi interceptors attacking a single UFO,

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 06:55:27 pm »
I was about to say exactly that, XCOM always had the option of attacking an UFO with multiple crafts, the problem is that is a a little obscure feature. in order to achieve that feature you needed to click on the minimize icon on the left of the air combat screen, thsi will allow for the persecution to proceed allowing other xcom craft to catch up and then do a gang bang on the UFO :)

This was speciall useful against battleships.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 08:04:11 pm »
I've been searching for suitable 3D models for the skyranger, firestorm, lightning and avenger, but couldn't find anything on the web... has anybody seen something like that? I cannot believe that they don't exist. Not in a game with a fanbase like this. I think I'm just unable to find them. :( :)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 08:14:12 pm »
yes they do exist for sure, i think i can find them, i have seen them somewhere. I will update this post if i find them.

UPDATE:

Ok i found some stuff, but i think we might need to contact the people (if those accounts still available) if someone wants to give it a try
MSN : psyguy2002@hotmail.com
E-MAIL : psyguy@videotron.ca

https://www.xcomhlmod.8m.com/
and the lasthope mod
https://www.moddb.com/mods/x-com-last-hope/downloads
we can ask if the artwork can be used.
This is the Source Code for X-Com Lasthope for Half-Life 1. This includes the whole source code and a few map sources. Unfortunately i do not have access to all the map sources in the beta of lasthope released earlier so they are not included, models can be found in the beta and decompiled, the same applies for other assets such as sounds

Also i remember UFO: cydonias fall had 3D models of just about everything. but the truth is that i do not remember who worked on that project. and since is long disappeared :(

UPDATE 2:
Ok after a little research i have found the founder of Cydonia's fall his name is Freelanzer
his website is https://freelanzer.com/

and here is a freebee i have found for all of you to have a nerdgasm!!!!
Cydonia's fall seems to still be alive but very well hidden :) my life and work revolves around searching ;)

https://ufo.freelanzer.com/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:41:57 pm by xracer »