Author Topic: Capture aliens and brainwash them to join the XCom cause  (Read 6799 times)

Offline hmaon

• Sergeant
  • C jockey
    • View Profile
Capture aliens and brainwash them to join the XCom cause
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:32:37 am »
This code is kind of in its infancy. Also, yes, I know it's a stupid idea. I like stupid ideas.

Here's the branch: https://github.com/hmaon/OpenXcom/tree/recruit_aliens

Right now you just have to have an alien mind-controlled at the end of the mission and he's yours. Future plans include some kind of special brainwashing facility. Then perhaps a cloning facility. After that, chryssalids break out and try to overrun your base, I guess.

TODO: Perhaps don't let the player take off the alien's skin and replace it with XCom armor via the armor menu? Perhaps mutons can still wear armor, though? What's the point of having aliens on your side? Maybe there should be some new special mission requiring an alien infiltrator? I dunno, it's kinda dumb, like I said.

This branch is also the testing ground for on-demand loading of .SPK files. I'm using it to load inventory sprites for aliens. (Also works if they're just regularly mind controlled!) I got the sprites from another mod, the inventory screens here: https://openxcommods.weebly.com/downloads4.html So, thanks for that!

A couple of screenshots are attached.

anonilsus

Re: Capture aliens and brainwash them to join the XCom cause
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:45:34 am »
This is like in Syndicate where you can capture and control new Agents and get them permanently on to your side!

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 12:15:17 pm »
I think it makes a lot of sense to play around with player-controlled aliens - for the "canon" storyline it might be weird, true, but I think having two-player hotseat games of PvP battlescape is a must have for V1.x (with x<4) :D

so the sooner we play around with the concept the better - playtesting is the best troubleshooting :)

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:04:36 am »
I like the idea.

Would also be funny if the reverse was true where if you abort/lose a mission vs psi-capable enemies, any soldiers left behind have a chance of being brainwashed by the aliens and then you might fight them in alien bases. Of course this would be Version 1.Sharp'sFantasy.0.9 which might not happen soon.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 03:35:01 pm »
oh, yes! rescue missions to recover soldiers from an alien base! abducted civilians at a base that was the recent origin of a successful abduction mission! lots of things like that come to mind :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:25:58 pm »
i like these ideas , i would really like to see rescue missions of solders/civilians too , i did some alien "Jail" graphics a while back but never made a door i liked, i need to re-look at this i think.

Also "aliens on your team" , now i am glad i made the Inventory images ;)

Offline crescentmoon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 11:45:08 pm »
I got the download but  still don't know how to get this working,  how do I install it?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:20:41 am by crescentmoon »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 08:39:28 pm »
crescentmoon: you'd need to compile it for your operating system.

hmaon: any chance of a pre-built windows binary?

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 10:46:47 pm »
It is very interesting ...

and it is compatible with UFO history: in XCom Apoc there are hybrid sectoid

+5

Offline crescentmoon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 12:42:57 am »
Thanks, Warboy. Compiling is just out of my capacities, any alternative way to do this?

I tried making an armor with the sectoid sprites, SECTOID.PCK
but the game crashes if I put it on and try to see the soldier in inventory AND when it goes into battlescape :)