Author Topic: [Suggestion] in-game log system for events and other activities  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] in-game log system for events and other activities
« on: January 12, 2021, 12:05:03 am »
I'd like to propose a feature for OXCE for discussion.

Background
There are some game instances and mods that generate a lot of information to the player. And in some cases the information can be overwhelming. Desirable events or other information such as: research topics, new manufacturing, etc. can lose the player's attention. It may be desirable to have a way to keep track of the info.

Feature
The proposed feature would consist of a window that display a log. Remarks:
- The log entries would be a string of text made from the title and body text of the last X events displayed. The events would consist of everything that appears on the screen, for example: research finished, manufacture completed, facility built, UFO detected, training finished, etc.
- X could be configurable or set fix to say a value of 20. Older entries would be dropped and newer entries would replace them instead.
- The log entries could include an in-game time stamp, if that information is available.
- The entries would not need to be fancy (such as right click to relevant screen), and they would not increase the game save by a noticeable margin.

Conclusion
A feature that records the last few entries displayed in-game to the player is proposed. This information may ease the burden of keeping track of things, and potentially can assist modders in debugging non-CTD events of their mod.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [Suggestion] in-game log system for events and other activities
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 01:21:55 pm »
Sounds rather nice, could be useful as an overview.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 03:48:36 pm »
How the player would access this new state (UI window)?

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:06:14 pm »
How the player would access this new state (UI window)?
I'd assume, probably a keyboard shortcut will display a window and then scroll down.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 04:50:53 pm »
I personally dislike when such features are hidden behind the key binding. AFAIK no other game has such UX when there are buttons to interact with the mouse, but some functions are available only with a hotkey. I know many people are not aware of those things even exist.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 05:40:34 pm »
I personally dislike when such features are hidden behind the key binding. AFAIK no other game has such UX when there are buttons to interact with the mouse, but some functions are available only with a hotkey. I know many people are not aware of those things even exist.

What solution would you propose?

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 08:28:51 pm »
What solution would you propose?

If I'd have some that would not fell under https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6498.0.html I would propose it long ago. Sorry, if I am not very constructive, but as this is a forum I thought I can share my opinion here and discuss the problem. Maybe it's just me and everyone else loves geoscape state button set.

If it would be me who decide UI solutions for the game, I would alter the Funds button (as IMO its the most useless one) into something like an Overview state call, where I would put some geoscape statistics (free/used scientists and space, same for engineers, free/used training space, etc) and set buttons leading to those overview buttons - global production, science, proposing one and others. I would probably hide it behind the mod property, like `extendedGeoscapeUi: true` with default `false`. And I would keep existing hotkey functions, so people that used to them could skip the Overview state.

But it's just me, not like I am pushing anything to OXCE.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 08:34:17 pm »
If it would be me who decide UI solutions for the game, I would alter the Funds button (as IMO its the most useless one) into something like an Overview state call, where I would put some geoscape statistics (free/used scientists and space, same for engineers, free/used training space, etc) and set buttons leading to those overview buttons - global production, science, proposing one and others. I would probably hide it behind the mod property, like `extendedGeoscapeUi: true` with default `false`. And I would keep existing hotkey functions, so people that used to them could skip the Overview state.

That's reasonable. And not in conflict with the goals (still works in 320x200 resolution).

I'd just change the mod setting to a user setting.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 08:38:12 pm »
Sure, the player can decide what experience he or she wants and modders still can set it with the recommended setting!

Offtopic: if you will make it as I propose, that would break FtA hard as I am using this button for the diplomacy system access, lol  ;D  :-X
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:48:07 pm by Finnik »