Author Topic: X-com Apocalypse  (Read 96250 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: X-com Apocalypse
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 08:43:13 pm »
press M when you select a vehicle and you have total control of it...you can increase or decrease the speed... adjust the altitude...yaw ...and "fire on point"...you shoot in the point you click...is really usefull to destroy buildings aiming in their weak points (pillars on slum buildings for example) or shoot foward the movement of ufos (very usefull in the alien dimension where the danger of stray shoots damaging property doenst afect your relationships with the city organizations)

Awesome. :) Thanks.

On a different note, I believe X-Com Apocalypse would really benefit from a modding scene, and actually much more so than the first game. The reason is simple: X-Com Apocalypse is an unfinished, unpolished game that needs more development love. I hope I will see an OpenApocalypse one day.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2014, 12:00:38 am »
i totally agree with you....

The initial game design was definitely too ambitious and too complex. The aim was to recreate in some detail the events, organisations and personalities within a futuristic megalopolis. Each corporation had a leader who could be tailed, arrested, interrogated or assassinated. Organisations could buy and sell buildings as their financial fortunes changed. X-Com agents could spy on other organisations to gain valuable information. A sophisticated diplomacy display allowed the player to instigate aggressive or defensive alliances with other organisations. There were multiple alien dimensions, generated pseudo-randomly, and the aliens gradually expanded their empire as the game progressed.

geez,the game sounds amazing especially because i imagine it with a pseudo cyber-punk thematic just like "syndicate" (the old game from BULLFROG..that's another of my fav games ever :D) with coorporate fighting and struggling in un-ethic business meanwhile an alien invasion attack  the city on the same time...its so sad  u_u
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:16:33 am by blackwolf »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2014, 02:55:48 am »
geez,the game sounds amazing especially because i imagine it with a pseudo cyber-punk thematic just like "syndicate" (the old game from BULLFROG..that's another of my fav games ever :D) with coorporate fighting and struggling in un-ethic business meanwhile an alien invasion attack  the city on the same time...its so sad  u_u

Amen, bro. Amen to your words.

Offline Templayer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2014, 12:55:01 pm »
I would like to thank Blackwolf for sharing his stuff and also all the other people for additional information (weapon speed with snipers too slow for realtime .... because I play ONLY in realtime in Apo).

I do plan to make a Let's Play / Walkthrough of X-Com Apocalypse with mods, but currently I'm doing the Afterseries, UFO Aftermath with the Combo Mod (alot of mods combined into one) to be more precise. (after the afterseries [lol], I will do the original X-Com series with mods) and it isn't getting many views, exceptionally so when compared to my other walkthroughs. If you are interested, here is the link to the walkthrough's playlist. Don't forget to watch in HD (same visual quality as when I've played) and turn on the commentary (by enabling the CC subtitles in the lower right corner of the youtube player window). The walkthrough has already been finished (raw footage on my harddrive) so it is now a question of me uploading it and making subs. Same for the two sequels (Aftershock with Total Rebalance mod and Afterlight with Reticulan 2.0 mod). Here is the playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYl6bTZe5Zy6pWgcwl7rjsAfMeKU4_ZKa

If you enjoy mods, you will enjoy this. I've also edited out some boring sections (doing the same type of missions again and again, while adding some funny moments, like my first encounter with the Etheral Morelman hybrid, dubbed Etherlol by me :D )

Also if anybody is frequently watching the progress of OpenXcom project ... I fell behind, could somebody tell me a brief summary of it's progress ? Is it finished / playable ? Useable for making a video series ?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2014, 12:59:22 pm »
brief summary? for all intents and purposes it is feature complete and fully playable, just make sure you run with the nightly build.

Offline Templayer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2014, 01:16:49 pm »
brief summary? for all intents and purposes it is feature complete and fully playable, just make sure you run with the nightly build.

NICE. THANKS ! *starts drooling*

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2014, 05:11:21 pm »
i almost do nothing...but thanks anyway  :)...oh yes the after-X series was good...specially the afterlight,if you havent played it..then i  recomend you the "TOTAL REBALANCE MOD" and the "MARTIAN RESKIN" they both are amazing and add a lot of good stuff (the first add more tecnologies and..well make the game more balance...the second give you a recolour of all the armor...a "sand-ish martian red" first ..but later you can switch to another two colours,a grey urban like camo...and a green(still in beta...i keep the gray).
 and sure i'll watch your vids, i enjoy the walkthroughs xD..and in a side note just because we are talking about oxc mods...warboy is there any posibilitie of integrate the "medals and soldier diaries" mod that Shoes did in the main code   ::)? ?
(sorry if you aswered this before but i have been busy so im a little disconected from the forum themes  :-[)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2014, 12:41:35 am »
Yay, thread derailment.

When it comes to Aftershock, I stick to Okim's Advanced Combat Mod. If anyone can prove that other mods are better, I'll be grateful. :)

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2014, 01:18:48 am »
oh goooood...that armor retexture....its kind hot o.o!!! it remembered me the GDI troopers for the c&c tiberium saga :Q___
i'll try it,thx michal :)!

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2014, 11:47:07 am »
X-Com Apocalypse is a missed masterpiece.
Without the troubled development (switched producer 7 times IIRC) it would have been as good if not better than UFO.
As of today it is still the most evolved incarnation of original UFO formula. And actually the only evolution of it really, all the other games just remix the original formula, they're a variation of the theme; Apocalypse instead is "the next step". I'll always be convinced that a true new X-Com game must start from Apocalypse.
But yeah you can feel it's unaccomplished.
Also the game was meant to be realtime only; turn-based option was added later. And you can see it: all the weapons stats are balanced for realtime.
I also love its retro-futuristic style. Still very unique and memorable.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2014, 02:39:01 am »
Also the game was meant to be realtime only; turn-based option was added later. And you can see it: all the weapons stats are balanced for realtime.
I also love its retro-futuristic style. Still very unique and memorable.

This you can clearly see, when fighting brainsuckers. In Realtime: No problem. In turn-based: You watch it climbing onto an completely not moving target and suckin its brain...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2014, 03:28:17 am »
This you can clearly see, when fighting brainsuckers. In Realtime: No problem. In turn-based: You watch it climbing onto an completely not moving target and suckin its brain...

On the other hand, devastator cannons in turn-based seem to only be there for capture and research. In real time, they deal death.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2014, 02:26:05 am »
I liked the alien weaponry, but more love the toxi gun ;)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2014, 04:31:54 am »
Would it be possible to add the very interesting layer of strategy of the Cityscape into OXC? Like bringing in some of these Organizations and the relationships you have with them throughout the game. I'd love to see them with main bases on the geo and you can go hit them if they're trying to bring you down, or you can defend them, and so on.

Offline Mustang

• Sergeant
  • Megapol Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 04:45:16 am »
It's a controversial opinion but Apoc is my favorite X-COM (though that doesn't mean I don't love 1/2). From what I understand it hasn't been remade or patched to the extent of the first more because it's source code is unavailable or convoluted and difficult to change. Is it even available? I'd love to see a revival of Apoc with all of the features it was supposed to have (like multiplayer) and you can see vestigial parts of the UI designed for such features, but the game's so old and unloved now that I think even with the resources it wouldn't be worth undertaking a serious project for.