aliens

Author Topic: X-com Apocalypse  (Read 94856 times)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: X-com Apocalypse
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2015, 03:31:47 pm »
Yes, great thing they got openapocalypse started! Hopefully they stil keep the fifties-styled xcom craft as an option. And maybe add some variety to the xcom starting armour (which to me looked a bit like vintage Soviet uniform, no offense inteded) and also variety to the aliens maybe. Many things were mentioned here earlier, like the closed city as a limitation. Would be interesting to see improved faction action also. Hopefully we will see progress soon!

Well as far as I understand the project will be like openxcom, an attempt to recreate the original as close as possible. That said, I agree on the armors bit, nothing a mod or two cant handle.

Offline JonnyH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2015, 03:32:55 am »
Well as far as I understand the project will be like openxcom, an attempt to recreate the original as close as possible. That said, I agree on the armors bit, nothing a mod or two cant handle.

That's correct - the plan is to try to make a 'faithful' re-implementation, but leaving the option open for people to add new mods to the game. Still a long way off, though, and if we don't get help w/development it's unlikely we'll actually get anything done in a realistic timeframe...

*puts up 'HELP WANTED' sign*

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2015, 03:03:15 pm »
That's correct - the plan is to try to make a 'faithful' re-implementation, but leaving the option open for people to add new mods to the game. Still a long way off, though, and if we don't get help w/development it's unlikely we'll actually get anything done in a realistic timeframe...

*puts up 'HELP WANTED' sign*

Wish I Could help man, really do, but I have not the slightest idea of these things. If I did I would fix happily jump on the cause, and fix that damnable thing that for one month doesnt allow me to play openxcom :(

Offline Templayer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2019, 08:23:28 pm »
YYes please give me the mods names so I can find them. For all three games that is.

[EDIT] found the combo mod for aftermath.
ShadoWarrior's Total Rebalance mod actually does far more than rebalancing Aftershock, it adds new weapons, research, items, etc.
For the Aftermath I used the Combo mod you have mentioned.
And then Reticulan 2.0 mod for Afterlight.

And it took me just five years to reply. :D

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2019, 09:16:47 pm »
I believe Apocalypse is the best Gollop's game so far and the best game in the genre. I doubt even his current Phoenix Point is going to surpass XCOM Apocalypse. My only nitpick is graphics, was was a bit rushed, and a few systems not balanced enough, but everything else is clearly a huge improvement over the first two XCOM games.

Recently they reverse engineered it:

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2019, 09:28:07 pm »
I believe Apocalypse is the best Gollop's game so far and the best game in the genre. I doubt even his current Phoenix Point is going to surpass XCOM Apocalypse. My only nitpick is graphics, was was a bit rushed, and a few systems not balanced enough, but everything else is clearly a huge improvement over the first two XCOM games.

Hmm, never thought I would see such a statement anywhere.
I personally find xcom1 clearly superior to apoc in basically every aspect.

Can you give 2 or 3 examples of what is better in apoc compared to xcom1 in your opinion? I just can't think of anything (not joking).

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2019, 12:35:20 am »

Can you give 2 or 3 examples of what is better in apoc compared to xcom1 in your opinion? I just can't think of anything (not joking).
In terms of systems/mechanics (whatever you want to call them) the game is afaik exceptionally more advanced than UFOEU. They did an unbelievable job at bringing forward the formula in basically every aspect.
If we want to talk about examples:
- "reaction evasion" mechanic, bullets have speed and enemies can get out of the trajectory of bullets if they're reactive-fast enough.
- Prone stance, walking/running/crawling.
- Scientists are present during base defense and must be evacuated or protected.
- Structures collapse if supporting parts are destroyed.
- Several alien items you research offer new tactical options rather than being overpowered versions of the human ones (personal teleporter, boomeroid, entropy launcher, cloack, shield)
- The air combat is just plain better, and it looks great; I guess this could be a matter of taste, since they're so different, but the gigantic expansion it underwent is undeniable (in all aspect: graphics, sounds, stats, vehicles, craftweapons, interface).
- The geoscape is significantly more developed too, mechanically.

That said, I do prefer UFOEU too; but as explained above there are several aspects in which Apoc is clearly (to me at least) superior to UFOEU.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:42:36 am by robin »

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2019, 11:35:07 am »
Personally I prefer Apoc but with a short head thanks to the arrival of OXCE.
But if I compare the basic versions of Apoc and UFO then the head is much bigger!

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2019, 02:29:23 pm »

The best example of XCOM Apocalypse doing things better would be the ordering of new equipment process: first, you need to be on good terms with the corporation making the product. It can get infiltrated by aliens, or just get mad at you for blowing up its building while trying to take down that alien craft, or damaging it while on the mission (if its factory got destroyed and employees killed it would be unable to produce the stuff). Then cargo vehicles will deliver the ordered product, directly from the storage building of that corporation. They will be displayed on the map, and vulnerable to damage from UFOs and crime gangs active in the cities. You can reduce the crime rate by raiding gang headquarters, and also getting some drugs for sale as the loot.

That is several orders of magnitude more complex than the original XCOM economy, or all the XCOM clones after it.

Of course many people will dislike that, because it is less about simple tabletop wargame, and more about the simulation of complex integrated systems. IIRC, Sid Meier said that there is a complexity line when game stops being a game and being fun. Maybe that is why XCOM Apocalypse got cold reception.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2020, 07:06:50 pm »
Recently they reverse engineered it:[/youtube]
Oh cool, didn't realize that Open Apoc was finished. I remember seeing it as something they were working on years ago, but haven't kept up. I'll have to check that out eventually. I've actually never played XCOM Apocalypse even though I own it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2020, 08:18:56 pm »
It's not finished... But they devs are getting there.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2020, 01:43:08 am »
Giving my opinion, I think the biggest flaw in apoc is the end game becomes ultra boring in the alien dimension and toxigun completely op. Also not showing craft in geoscape is a big let down. The biggest strength is the city, discovering all the buildings and do some crazy raids on factions is fun. But in the end I manage to end tftd several times and return to it, apoc in the other end only finish once and I give up middle campaign all the time.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2020, 03:47:43 pm »
Giving my opinion, I think the biggest flaw in apoc is the end game becomes ultra boring in the alien dimension and toxigun completely op. Also not showing craft in geoscape is a big let down. The biggest strength is the city, discovering all the buildings and do some crazy raids on factions is fun. But in the end I manage to end tftd several times and return to it, apoc in the other end only finish once and I give up middle campaign all the time.

Indeed you're right. (I never finished it, despite so many restarts.) But the subject of fixing this has been on the table for years among the OpenApoc people, so I think it has a fair chance to be fixed after the basic game is done.