aliens

Author Topic: Worst I have ever seen  (Read 2467 times)

Offline vitto

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Worst I have ever seen
« on: December 04, 2020, 02:05:04 am »
Do you think this is funny, huh? Did you ever test your mod or what? I have no words about such cases. This is not first time I saw this "funny situation". This was last time after that I have started modding openxcom, now Golden Dragons "heal" morale at maximum without any stupid -1hp / -6 stun. Thank you.

P.S. This "area" is unaccessable in Stormtrooper Armor, a character can't go down. And what I have to do if all team were in this armor?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Worst I have ever seen
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:40:46 am »
I've examined those stairs and can't see anything wrong with them (it's not my terrain, but it's easy for me to check). Can you drop the save?
TBH I don't understand what your issue is, and why the Stormtrooper Armour is even relevant here (it's an armour like any other). Which part should be accessible but isn't?
And those golden dragons reference - ehhh... I don't get your point at all. Is there a bug? Or are you saying that there should be no penalties for healing morale? (Which would be absurd - why even have a morale system when you can just heal it with no consequences?)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 11:49:16 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline vitto

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 05:27:28 pm »
1. The problem is that the last mob was burried in the wall  ;D Yes, it's funny when you complete the mission. After running for the Fusion Torch. While all team are screwing up of low morale. Very very funny.
2. I don't want to check, but probably I can't go down in Stormtrooper Armor because of the mob. Meantime I can't see him while flying over it, that's weird.
3. The problem in X-Com Files is not Golden Dragons itself, but increable, and in most cases unneccessary, penalty after each turn. In this case I have left only about 10 turns before whole team started screaming like puppets. They are all soldiers, elite of the elites, best of the best, 200+ missions, 500+ kills and still they just babies. Thanks to you and your logic.

Take the save and look for yourself. The save was made after "fixing" Golden Dragons.

I'm sorry about my previous harsh statements. I'm playing X-Com Files for the first time. And I laugh about this post because of the situation is really funny when you are looking at it as a third person. Still, morale's penalty over each turn is too much and Sensorium is sucks, honestly.

EDIT:
Golden Dragons are useless in most cases:
1. The root issue. The sanity recovery does not working when a soldier is wounded. First you would get wound recovery X days, after that same amount of Y days after the mission for sanity recovery (like the soldier woud not get a wound).
2. Golden Dragons tradeoff is only working when you won't loose a soldier, but there're no qustions when you need just to find out the last mob. You can easyly skip all screams and do not use any Golden Dragons. Because what's the reason of getting X wounded's + Y sanity's recovery days? No reasons.
3. The price of using Golden Dragons is very high already. The amount of the healed sanity is low, in most cases you need to use it for a whole turn, e.g. 3-4 times to do something useful. In the end the total cost is: 1 turn, 1-3 wound recovery days, 7+ sanity recovery days.
4. Conclusion. What's the point of getting wound recovery days, when a soldier already useless within next 7 days? A few more days solve no problems.
5. In the endgame all this looks like that soldiers have a lot of sanity recovery holydays. Yes, holydays, because there is no word how to describe it in other way.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 10:39:38 am by vitto »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 11:49:08 am »
OK, I see what you mean now. Yes, it's a pretty nasty bug, looks like a map generation issue (corridor not linking the chamber). I'll report it to the terrain author. Sorry!

As for the Golden Dragons, well, either they cost something or they don't... there is no middle ground. Like I said, if they wouldn't, they would just eliminate this game element that is sanity, and that's obviously bad design. It has nothing to do with "my logic", this is how the world works. If you have a better idea, I'm all ears, but so far nobody came up with it.

Sanity not recovering while wounded is an engine thing. We can argue whether it's good or not (I am not convinced it's bad), but it's pointless, because that's how the game works...

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 07:47:32 am »
you know, as far as the golden dragons, some things in this pack are meant to be useless, or only useful in very niche situations.
part of the experience is experimenting for yourself to find what you like and what works. you have discovered that golden dragons are not useful for the way you play the game. maybe they're totally useless. Discovering that was part of the experience.

(I think i'm right about that interpretation of the design philosophy. correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten. otherwise why would drivers licences or similar things exist?)

Offline termidor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 07:40:36 pm »
I was going to report  the same situation, what a  nasty bug    :-X I do think the castle assault  mssion could use an overhaul, as it is difficult  for the wrong reasons, mainly that the map is to big and you are going to be bug hunting enemies (without  bug hunt because zombies) while everyone lose their  shit. Maybe the spawn point could be at the sewers of the castle and the mission map be limited to it(the castle)?  Close quarters with zombies are usually  much better.