aliens

Author Topic: [Submod][Scenario] Yautja Hunter  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[Submod][Scenario] Yautja Hunter
« on: November 22, 2020, 06:01:20 pm »
The Hunt is on!

If you wondered if you crack team of X-Com agents can go to the Central American jungles and rescue a Minister from some insurgents and be put in the middle of some hunting season... wonder no more.

Music:
The mod is provided without music, to avoid copyright issues, unfortunately. Suggested music tracks are as follow:
Code: [Select]
musics:
  - type: YH_BRIEFING
    #https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSnuZUxHYtU Predator Main Theme - Epic Version-HQ
    normalization: 0.76
  - type: YH_MISSION
    #https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c3biXCLUZY Predator Soundtrack Suite (Alan Silvestri)-HQ
    normalization: 0.5
To get the tracks, you can use an online youtube to ogg converter and place the resulting files renamed as show into the SOUND folder. To activate replace the rul file with the one provided in this post.

Credits:
- Some text from the Long War Mod
- Sprites based on:
  - https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/wip-u-avp-ultimate-aliens-vs-predator-mini-tc-for-gzdoom.316868/
  - by the Carchadon by XOps.
- Other images from: https://hipwallpaper.com/predator-backgrounds/ and http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/hot-toys-first-predator-review-part-ii.html
- Lots of sound effects links as shown in the metadata file.

This is the first version of the mod, likely to change as Solarius reviews it. The mod is testable via a Quick Battle. Comments are appreciated.

EDIT: Thanks to the Discord members, a bug was (hopefully fixed). The package is re-uploaded.
EDIT2: Updated rul file with a minor string bug.
EDIT3: Re-uploaded rul file with another minor bug fix. The scenario .7z file was re-uploaded to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:15:36 pm by Alex_D »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Submod][Scenario] Yautja Hunter
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 08:34:19 pm »
OXCE have support for graphic effects similar to:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2059.msg26561.html#msg26561

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 09:57:32 pm »

Nice!
I wish I was knowledgeable enough about scripts to come up with something similar.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 12:59:31 pm »
I think both solutions are lovely, and it a matter of taste. I would say that Alex solution in terms of art is a bit better, but having a transparent is cool too. @Yankes - can we have a code snippet?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 03:07:37 am »

armors:
  - type: STR_NONE_UC
    scripts:
      recolorUnitSprite: |
        var int backShade;
        var int backColor;

get_shade backShade old_pixel;
        get_color backColor old_pixel;

div backShade 2;
        set_color new_pixel backColor;
        add_shade new_pixel backShade;
        return new_pixel;
this is simplest way, `new_pixel` is value of new pixel that is written to screen, `old_pixel` is value of old pixel on screen.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 10:49:26 pm »
New version uploaded, with potential bug fixed.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 04:47:11 pm »
Perfectly. My thoughts came true
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8220.0.html

You must add the wrist blades, spear and throwing disc. It will be great
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 04:59:16 pm by Bonakva »

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 07:28:06 pm »
This looks cool! Can the XCOM loot and repurpose the Predator's weaponry as standard procedure when fighting aliens?
I gave the mod a quick spin in Quick Battle mode. It seems to work well until the Pred is supposed to show up, moment in which a bug window kicks me out of the game. Is that because of potential incompatibility with other mods, or because I used this scenario in Quick Battle mode? I suppose it's the latter, but better to check.
I'm using the Yautja mod within the 7z file.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 01:40:15 pm »
This looks cool! Can the XCOM loot and repurpose the Predator's weaponry as standard procedure when fighting aliens?
It ought to be able to do so. The Pred weapon is recoverable.

It seems to work well until the Pred is supposed to show up, moment in which a bug window kicks me out of the game. Is that because of potential incompatibility with other mods, or because I used this scenario in Quick Battle mode? I suppose it's the latter, but better to check.
I'm not sure why it crashed. It didn't do it during my tests. Can you post the log file, or the save?

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 07:01:54 pm »
I'm not sure why it crashed. It didn't do it during my tests. Can you post the log file, or the save?

I tried again the Quick Battle thing. It seems I was the one wrong. As long as you don't use Debug Mode to make all enemies die or something like that, the scenario works as intended.

Spoiler:
However, once you drop the Predator's camo, the alien completely disappears. Is that intentional, or a bug? Using the Debug Mode to finish the battle also causes a crash, but I suppose that finishing the map normally will work as it should.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 07:31:06 pm »
Spoiler:
However, once you drop the Predator's camo, the alien completely disappears. Is that intentional, or a bug? Using the Debug Mode to finish the battle also causes a crash, but I suppose that finishing the map normally will work as it should.

Spoiler:
The plan is to have three units that represent the Predator along the map. The first stage, inactive, until after a few turns, it "dies" and re-spawn as the "cloaked predator". Once that one "dies" due to sustained damage, the its uncloaked form spawns. I tested the sequence and didn't crash on me. If it still does please send a save for me to check.

Thank you for providing comments. This link includes the music as intended. Link expires in two days.

Maybe one day, I'd review the whole map and add some scripts to make some of the "effects" more efficient, perhaps using Yankes' superb script routines.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 06:16:43 pm »
The .rul file was updated with a minor fix.
The .7z file was re-uploaded to avoid confusion. See first post for scenario.

EDIT: For a limited time. The music intended for this scenario, on a separate .7z file.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:18:49 pm by Alex_D »

Offline 8mono

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 09:02:07 am »
I'm having a bit of an issue with the sprites for a few guns, mod seems to be working fine otherwise but I get this freaky greenish blob when equipping the Glock, Desert Eagle, Pepper Spray and the Beretta 92 FS, no other mods turned on and I turned it off and on (the Hunter scenario) and it seems to be this, I have no idea what it could've been since you're not touching any of these sprites, perhaps a misbehaving script?

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 01:38:51 pm »
Funny, I remember seeing this odd bug on random enemies, like EXALT ones. I thought this was a bug of the main mod, which I already reported on the bug thread, no idea if this submod was the cause.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 05:22:32 pm »
Is eeservedSpace set correctly?