Author Topic: OUYA  (Read 14188 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
OUYA
« on: January 09, 2013, 12:01:15 pm »
I hope someone ports to this also, i have plans on buying one of those ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:35:11 pm by michal »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: OUYA
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:22:29 pm »
Take it from a friend and keep your money.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:09:44 pm »
Take it from a friend and keep your money.
Whilst I agree it's not really worth buying, it's not a scam. A scam implies fraudulent behaviour, which is not true here - unless they disappear with all the money and you never see anything.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:14:31 pm »
This isn't a matter of semantics, really.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:49 pm »
This isn't a matter of semantics, really.
It's downright libellous, and IMO, it speaks to the credibility of the article (AKA it has none). It's not even a blog link, just some graphic.
And just because it's possible to replicate it's behaviour with a dozen other bits and bobs doesn't mean you necessarily want to. FYI, my phone doesn't have HDMI out anyway, and I have a blu-ray player in my PC, but I've just bought one for my TV.

I'm not advocating for or against the OUYA, but there's probably a ton of better sources of information than this (both for and against).

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:20:28 pm »
It's downright libellous, and IMO, it speaks to the credibility of the article (AKA it has none).
And just because it's possible to replicate it's behaviour with a dozen other bits and bobs doesn't mean you necessarily want to.

It's not an article. It's a bloody infographic pointing trying to sum up a couple of basic facts. It doesn't need to have credentials or credibility nor it needs to present its arguments in a politically correct form. It's a simple sum of very basic information condensed in an easily readable form. You may believe it, or you may not, but you can't pick on it just because it makes casual use of certain terms.

I'm not advocating for or against the OUYA, but there's probably a ton of better sources of information than this (both for and against).

And is it so wrong to pick one that's far easier to read and comprehend? Just because they use the word "scam" in a non-literal way? You sir, need to take the internet less seriously.

And just because it's possible to replicate it's behaviour with a dozen other bits and bobs doesn't mean you necessarily want to. FYI, my phone doesn't have HDMI out anyway, and I have a blu-ray player in my PC, but I've just bought one for my TV.

No one's denying your freedom to sink your money in one of those things, I merely tried to point out they're not really worth the dosh, unless you really want an extra device. It's your choice in the end.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:59:45 pm by Hythlodaeus »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:59:08 am »
so i dont have any android devices , no i phones, no way to play downloaded movies on my TV...  nothing , also i want a cheap little console for my kids to destroy when playing emulations of Sega Mega drive and others ( which i assume will make it to it sooner than later) or other small games, so for the price this is all i want. I AM NOT expecting the same quality and support i would get with a new Xbox ,Wii,Playstation however i think its a important first step towards a more mainstream Indy and Open source world , Just my 2 cents.

My gaming these days pretty much revolves around Emulation and Opensource products as such the Graphical ability of this thing is not a issue for me, if i can oneday Load up Mario from the SNES i will be very happy.

Just watched this video : https://www.theverge.com/2013/1/4/3835188/ben-heck-tears-down-the-ouya-gaming-console
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:16:18 am by luke83 »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:27:56 am »
so i dont have any android devices , no i phones, no way to play downloaded movies on my TV...

You can't hook your pc to your TV?

Also i want a cheap little console for my kids to destroy when playing emulations of Sega Mega drive and others ( which i assume will make it to it sooner than later)

This is fairly legit reason, if you really don't want your kids to mess around with your PC, but as far as emulation goes depends how well Android emulators will perform on that thing. If you really want to buy one of those I'd say forget the default android OS and boot a lightweight linux distro on it. There are far more decent emulators for it then there are for android. You will likely get a better performance of it as well. Plus you can teach your kids to use the command line, and linux in general. Otherwise, just teach your kids to use a PC already.

or other small games, so for the price this is all i want. I AM NOT expecting the same quality and support i would get with a new Xbox ,Wii,Playstation however i think its a important first step towards a more mainstream Indy and Open source world , Just my 2 cents.

Frankly, the OUYA isn't exactly cheap for what it does. For the same price you could buy a PS2 or a wii, these days (or for a fraction, if used). Unless you're really into hacking and open source software, and you're willing to do a lot of experimenting, you're buying a console that is overly expensive considering the games it can run.

My gaming these days pretty much revolves around Emulation and Opensource products as such the Graphical ability of this thing is not a issue for me, if i can oneday Load up Mario from the SNES i will be very happy.

Its CPU isn't exactly great either, so don't even expect it to emulate stuff like PS1 games. But sure, if you're really willing to pay $100 for an OUYA instead of buying a PS2 for the same price and have it do the same things, while having a better game library, knock yourself out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:29:37 am by Hythlodaeus »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 01:42:00 am »
You can't hook your pc to your TV?

This is fairly legit reason, if you really don't want your kids to mess around with your PC, but as far as emulation goes depends how well Android emulators will perform on that thing. If you really want to buy one of those I'd say forget the default android OS and boot a lightweight linux distro on it. There are far more decent emulators for it then there are for android. You will likely get a better performance of it as well. Plus you can teach your kids to use the command line, and linux in general. Otherwise, just teach your kids to use a PC already.

Frankly, the OUYA isn't exactly cheap for what it does. For the same price you could buy a PS2 or a wii, these days (or for a fraction, if used). Unless you're really into hacking and open source software, and you're willing to do a lot of experimenting, you're buying a console that is overly expensive considering the games it can run.

Its CPU isn't exactly great either, so don't even expect it to emulate stuff like PS1 games. But sure, if you're really willing to pay $100 for an OUYA instead of buying a PS2 for the same price and have it do the same things, while having a better game library, knock yourself out.

We only have 2 Tvs in the House and there in a separate room to my PC so hooking them up is not a option.

Also , if this video is legit , here is Nintendo64 on Ouya - so i dont thing ps1 would be a huge issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hKKCoTlDjHo

don't get me wrong , i have a in my possession , sega master system, sega mega drive , 4x Ps1 , 2xPs2 , 3xNintendo 64s , 2x xbox ( not the 360) and a Wii , the fact that each one of these has to be re-connected to the TV , Controllers un-tangled , Find batteries for different devices, etc is a pain so i do most of my Emulation on my PC as its a "one stop shop for my gaming pleasure" however i don't want to leave my Kids on there unsupervised as there only 2 and 4 and they have a habit of changing my Linux OS (hiding menus, changing settings) and forcing me to goggle how to undo all the changes  :P   I just need to see Dosbox Ported and i will be buying 3 of these devices :)

To me , the Price is Fair, not only for the Machine itself but for the principle behind it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:31:56 am by luke83 »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 01:53:29 am »
Why would you want another console to connect / reconnect and untangle wires for? Just hack one of those you already own.

And that n64 emulator does seem to run nicely, so probably the PS1 emu does to. Wasn't expecting that, I admit. Still an expensive console for what it does, be it open source or not.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 01:56:15 am »
Only 2 consoles are setup and some of the Controllers are getting pretty crappy , i want to put them all away into storage and just have one device ;)

I am sure there are other people like me that have use for a console like this , but like the main consoles , there will be those who will pick sides against it , it s funny listening the gamers at work arguring about why the Ps3 is better then Xbox, when they ask me whats best i tell them MSDOS  :P

Also when you think about it, the console is only the price of 1 NEW game, when you look at it that way, i don't think its to bad.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:29:10 am by luke83 »

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 01:38:30 pm »
Another simple devices for emulation could probably be Raspberry Pi:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/

It's quite cheap. Has hdmi, usb ports (probably you can connect some pads), has linux, so should run plenty of emulators.

On the other side OUYA is much more powerfull.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:41:04 pm by michal »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 01:43:27 pm »
The RaPi is even less powerful than the OUYA although I value it a lot more simply because of its purpose as a purely educational and ultra cheap computer, instead of selling itself as a console. As of its current state, the RaPi can barely use any major modern browser effectively, so I wouldn't expect it to run emulators properly either.

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 02:04:00 pm »
Well i think that RaPi shouldn't have problems with 8 bit computers or 16 bit consoles (like snes, sega etc).

Btw, another new kickstarter for console (handheld this time):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw/gcw-zero-open-source-gaming-handheld/?ref=kicktraq

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 02:46:34 pm »
Interesting you found the GCW, I've been tempted to plump some cash down on this for a while. Though he kind of confused me producing some "special editions" first with higher specs then dropping down for regular production.

Anyway, more info if you're interested - it's gotten quite a long thread now
https://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/8175-gcw-zero-prototype-teaser-video/