Author Topic: Few questions about damage to armor and armor evasion.  (Read 2626 times)

Offline BlorkTheOrk

• Captain
    • View Profile
Few questions about damage to armor and armor evasion.
« on: October 25, 2020, 07:26:01 pm »
Sorry, there are lot of questions, but I will be happy about any answers. In general I just want to know what is the best anti-armor weapon and if there is the way to reduce armored enemy to zero with any sort of early game weapons.

1 So, what is the most effective way to damage armor?
2 What is the difference between chemical damage and armor piercing damage to armor?
3 Do lasers ignore armor?
4 Do fire ignore armor?
5 Are lasers, fire and the freeze gun for space capsules all the same thing with basically the same mechanic?
6 Do all armor piercing bullets damage armor?
7 Are there any real difference between machine guns and submachine guns/rifles?
8 Any general tips for handling heavy armored hostiles in general?

Thank you in advance for answers.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions about damage to armor and armor evasion.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 09:59:09 pm »
Before i get to the individual questions i will mention that the default is that 10% of damage that gets through to hp is applied to armor, some weapons like chem do damage to armor before this step, refered to as either armor stripping, or in game code pre-armor-multi

1) Early game: chem, Late game: Plasma. There are a few other options like RPGs and rockets, but they tend to be a mix between armor damage and penetration rather then one or the other.
2) Mechanically all chem weapons have some, where as pierce is limited to certain weapons. Chem also tends to have a higher % of damage dealt to armor, but less base. Look in the Analysis(Anal) tab for individual weapons for greater details.
3) Lasers ignore 33%, Armor peirce ammo ignores 50%.
4) Fire type damage does bypass armor completely as the default but the behavior is not constant across all weapons that use the type. Check Anal carefully here.
5) No, Laser is %, Fire is highly dependent on weapon used. The nitro gun functions as vanilla fire effects(bypass armor), but doing 50-150% times (5-10) and then applying several more modifiers to that damage.
6)No, general rule is that chainguns style weapons and weapons over 60 base damage have thee stip effect. Again check Anal.
7) Plenty, effective range, accuracy, ect. Check Anal
8) This is a very complex and fluid answer as there is no one best tool for all situations. It depends highly on what you have access to at any give time and what the actual target is. Foes can have a great difference in what types of damage they resist, is it a 2x2 unit, does it have sheilds as well. I could go very deep into the topic but it would be a wall of text, and probably not make much sense to you at the moment.  But feel free post about specific targets for a slightly more digestible answer.

Offline BlorkTheOrk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:06:29 pm »
Do chemical bullet always apply their damage against armor? Or do they have to make it through first?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 11:44:25 pm »
chemical weapons are almost all before armor effects.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 06:13:37 pm »
With the exception of shielded targets. No damage to armor is applied if shields hold.

Offline BlorkTheOrk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 06:41:39 pm »
Sorry for this necroposting. But I wonder if it is smart thing to use chemicals against heavy armor. I am mostly thinking about the machine pistol which does 8 shots with x5 rounds using chemicals. Will such eventually melt a tank?

Also, what is the name of armor damage stat in the ANAL section? Does it have a different name for chemicals?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 12:36:23 am »
It will eventually, but it might take some time, which is probably not a wise choice.

Armor damage in Anal is either "pre_armor_multi" for damage dealt to armor before armor is subtracted from damage dealt, or "to_armor" for damage after armor is subtracted(default .1).