aliens

Author Topic: Gotta go (VERY) fast  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Gotta go (VERY) fast
« on: October 25, 2020, 02:18:37 am »
Ever wondered how Pogrom posse gets to the scene?... Could defo use that engine.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta go (VERY) fast
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 09:38:26 am »
Is that a statement, a question or a suggestion?

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 04:30:12 pm »
Just an interesting tidbit of me capturing a glimpse of a ship made outta Higgs bosons.

Btw for anyone wondering, that was my 3rd Pogrom and what's interesting about it was its huge difficulty escalation. Previous ones had up to 15 ordinary human enemies, this one had 40... Ton of Ratmen, Blood Hounds, Highwaymen, few Ghouls... plus two armored vehicles (old German WW2 recons, interesting pick lol). They were impossible to kill even with grenades but luckily I brought one single Hammer. First time I used it too. Mission took over 3 grueling hours but it was hella fun.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 11:56:25 pm »
This is a "workaround" for the base game mechanic where Alien attacks on cities are caused by ships flying into them.

In game lore most of the pogroms aren't supposed to be performed from flying ships, as many of the factions that perform them can't afford such vessels.
So it isn't really a ship, but a "signal", that is very usefull when you get hyperwave decoder built, so that you can determine what faction is attacking and then get the right gear.

Early Pogroms doesn't really escalate, or vary in difficulty that much. 15 "ordinary" human enemies (I could assume its Spartans you are talking about) is about as dangerous as a lot of ratmen, few bloodhounds, ghouls, highwaymen and two cars.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 06:25:49 pm »
I would very vehemently disagree.

1. There is a pogrom escalation. Some types of pogroms do not appear until time has passed, and some yet other types do not appear until you join the Mutant Alliance.

2. The 'freelance' pogroms that are within the scope of the discussion here vary in difficulty dignificantly.

Right from the start in January, three types of pogroms can spawn: Bandits(Ratmen, ghouls, bloodoges, cars), Ku-Klux-Klan(White Hoods+ Police) and Humanist Supremacists (Brownshirts, Instructors and a Leader).

Of those three, the Bandit one is SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult, but is not an escalation, since it can appear from the start.

In later months, other factions may appear (Spartans starting in March, Deep Ones starting...sometime). The first three never go away.

As far as difficulty goes, I would say that the spartan one is not super difficult(grenade spam notwithstanding).

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 12:00:20 pm »
I have noticed that sometimes I detect these comm pogroms and then...they don't happen, as if the "ship" overshot its destination, and, because of its ludicrous speed, apparently never managed to get back on track. Is there now an invisible lost "ship" pinging crazily around the worldmap, forever unable to find its target?

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 06:57:08 pm »
I always thought Comm Waves are just there to give the player a bit of a scare, followed by breath of relief once you realize it's a dud.

High speed is just a tool to avoid seeing a radar contact. Feels clumsy to me as it doesn't always work and not sure what's stopping pogrom mission to just spawn in a city as in vanilla, without using ship mechanic. Ghost ship flying around at warp speeds doesn't exist as I've looked into the save and section with active globe shipping is empty.

Btw automatic Pogroms (Bandit/Humanist/Spartan) still occur in my game, despite researching relevant techs which should stop them, although they are much rarer now. Eridian Mutan Culling was relatively common in the month following the tech but then they practically stopped too. In both cases my fellow civilian Mutants hadn't received any better equipment either.

Small UPDATE regarding better Mutant weapons: since this post I had two "Mutant Suppression" missions where mutant civilians did in fact have better weapons (including two nice looking Tanks) but only when Eridians are involved. Mission briefing specifically mentions MSDF and incurs -1500 score if ignored. I only wished 'better' applied to civilian AI as well, lol. In all other Pogrom types mutants still use classic civilian weapons.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:11:42 am by Nilex »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 01:13:56 am »
I have noticed that sometimes I detect these comm pogroms and then...they don't happen, as if the "ship" overshot its destination, and, because of its ludicrous speed, apparently never managed to get back on track. Is there now an invisible lost "ship" pinging crazily around the worldmap, forever unable to find its target?

You know how in vanilla XCOM an alien terror mission has two terror ships in its UFO wave?  The first one only flies around and then leaves, but the second one flies around and then attacks a city.  It's the same thing here with pogroms for both terror ships and comm waves.  If a comm wave doesn't attack, it was only the first one in the mission wave; a non-attacking comm wave also doesn't stick around for very long and leaves very quickly.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 02:42:49 am »
Snip
Btw automatic Pogroms (Bandit/Humanist/Spartan) still occur in my game, despite researching relevant techs which should stop them, although they are much rarer now. Eridian Mutan Culling was relatively common in the month following the tech but then they practically stopped too. In both cases my fellow civilian Mutants hadn't received any better equipment either.
This is true, as these are the "freelance" type with no penalty for failure to attend. Not sure why they stick around thou.

Comm waves replace terror ships sometimes because due to engine constraints a pogrom requires a craft. Dioxine still wanted pogroms but have some with limited or no warning to keep things exciting.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 08:25:30 pm »
Issue is, it would be absurd for ratmen or other rabble to fly terror ships, also too easy to stop them if they used some sort of crappy land convoy. So comm wave (which doesn't move at "warp" speed, but at the speed of light) is used to represent they approach on foot, undetectable.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 08:28:14 pm »
I have requested a code feature to do it in a nicer way, do fingers crossed. ;)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 08:33:58 pm »
Yes, planned.