Author Topic: Battlescape development  (Read 245418 times)

Volutar

Re: Battlescape development
« Reply #405 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:20 pm »
It's clearly seen that there are 2 large holes in skyranger cockpit (it's view from inside). And Jade's case could easily happen in xcom1 as well. It probably did happen, but stood unnoticed. Condition is - farm/terror city and high building with stair to roof at south of skyranger.
Jade was very lucky to pick certain conditions in openxcom.

Volutar

« Reply #406 on: February 15, 2013, 05:36:55 am »
That's how fixed PLANE.MCD looks like:

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 15, 2013, 03:18:25 pm »
How do we patch the original data files without altering them? Is there support in OXC for some kind of dynamic patches?

Volutar

« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2013, 06:58:05 pm »
You have to alter them in order to avoid this bug. It's bug of Microprose, or Gollop, or whoever... but not ours.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2013, 09:45:12 pm »
would it be possible to "externalize" parts of the files in question? I believe the error is in loftemps.dat, which is a conglomerate of 16x16 pixel/voxel "images". so perhaps we could provide corrected images that are used if present? so that if there are external LOF templates for the skyranger, the game uses those instead of the original ones?

(because I don't think we can "fix" the files and host them, for the same reasons that we cannot host the original game.)

as for the diagonally-touching-objects LOS "holes": wouldn't it be possible to make openxcom automatically fill those gaps? something like "IF loftemp voxels touch diagonally THEN pretend there's another voxel between them"?

Volutar

« Reply #410 on: February 15, 2013, 10:01:19 pm »
i've attached fixed plane.mcd. so answer is no. problem is not in loftemps.
and there are no diagonal gaps and holes in openxcom. long ago.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:04:09 pm by Volutar »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #411 on: February 15, 2013, 10:06:59 pm »
ah, now I see. of course you are right. are there more mcd files with major bugs in them? the supply ship has a hole, so that makes two. any others? because I think providing a very small number of altered files may be ok, like an "unofficial patch", but if it turns out that we have to fix all of the ships, that would be like hosting a major portion of a copyrighted game :(

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #412 on: February 15, 2013, 11:00:39 pm »
StratergyCore already hosts a number of xcom Bug fixes , you just need to uploaded them somewhere also to keep it separate from OXC, obviously i suggest the Mod site as it keeps the main project safe :P  maybe we add a vanilla patch page?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:33:18 am by luke83 »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:40:21 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 24, 2013, 10:30:46 pm »
If we create a patch that contains all the fixed original x-com data files needed for use with open x-com compiled into one file it could be hosted anywhere by anyone, aka strategycore. We could call it OXC_Original_Data_Fix.rar or OpenXcom_Data_Patch.zip and Readme.txt would tell users to overwrite files in the Data folder, then special thanks to (everyone who created the fixed files).

Offline AMX

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 02, 2013, 02:19:31 pm »
AVOID the strategycore combo patch!
it contains AT LEAST one garbled tileset, and causes numerous problems.
Could you list these problems, so Zombie can fix them?
He already knows about the broken tileset and the Skyranger LOF issue.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 02, 2013, 04:30:04 pm »
most of the problems it causes (for me) are related to the introduction of "new" tiles that have no equivalent in the vanilla tileset, more specifically, in the farm tileset, floor tiles 76, 77, 79 and 80, which appears in Culta17.
the problem arises when i, with vanilla data, try to load someone's bug report save with their modified data, and hit a wall, because they're incompatible, also i notice MANY of the tilesets (like the stables) we know and love have been removed for whatever reason.

the DESERT01 tileset is a "landing zone", and should be flat, not a pyramid, this caused me problems in the original as well as in openXCom.

going over the patch notes... it seems like you may have had a modified set of CULTA/DESERT data from the outset, because i can't see any mention of replacing any existing tilesets. this makes me suspect XcomUtil as the source of our woes, as i'm fairly certain that had some replacement tilesets for those 2 specific map sets.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:36:52 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline AMX

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 02, 2013, 06:36:13 pm »
I see.
I'll shuttle that over to the thread on strategycore.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 19, 2013, 01:17:09 pm »
The terrain selection part of the battlescape generation is now unhardcoded and moved to the ruleset. Finally.

It works like this:
It will first look for a terrain linked to the mission type and use that one if found.
Otherwise it will take the globe texture and looks up a terrain that has that globe texture in it's list of textures. If hemisphere is defined on the terrain (-1:northern +1:southern) that will have to match the hemisphere taken from the latitude of the UFO.
Next it will look for "shade" defined on mission type, if not found it will use shade from globe position.

So you can now make your own bananafarm terrain which is the farm terrain for the southern hemisphere with matching crops taken from the JUNGLE dataset... or so. Anyway, it's another small step towards TFTD and more moddability. Let me know if any issues appear as a result of this change

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:28 am »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:14:40 am by Warboy1982 »