Author Topic: Battlescape development  (Read 245369 times)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Re: Battlescape development
« Reply #330 on: October 17, 2012, 10:38:29 pm »
I just remember I was about to volunteer, then Daiky sent me his first draft of a battlescape design doc, and I was like "w00t?". You've done a great job! A much better job than I would have done too.

And a general congratulations to everyone who has made OpenXCOM what it is today. I'm impressed, and very jelous and also a little sad (that I failed to contribute more than I have)

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2012, 09:10:28 pm »
I like the idea of a mouse scrolling method for the battlescape, that's certainly something that has been long missing. :) to me, however, your way seems counter-intuitive: for mouse-scrolling I would always assume that it works as though you are grabbing the landscape and pulling into a direction by moving. your way is exactly the other way around: you hold the mouse, and when you move the mouse, the landscape is moving into the opposite direction.
Actually it shows you the place where you move the mouse. :)
This is the way OpenTTD also works! (and i've got the idea primarily from TTD/OpenTTD)

Maybe we can have a "Invert" switch in the configuration, that way everyone can have what feels natural to them..
That's an other good idea!!
And it will be implemented i think. (if not nowadays by me, then later someone else)

I disagree with the coding scheme ...  it's preference...
Not for me...
It considerably slows down my work.

ISO standard of indenting and spacing,
Just for curiosity, could you please give me a reference, where it is officially stated, that this indenting and spacing is the ISO? (i haven't found any)

which is by default the style if you start a project with Visual Studio.
That's the first thing i change by loading back my configuration after an install.

Anyways it's a non-issue since there's plenty of tools to automatically apply coding styles (eg. Artistic Style), so you can just convert the project to your favorite convention, do your stuff and restore it back when you're done. Everybody wins. :)
Wow! Long time i planned to make such a thing to avoid these situations. Its good to know, that somebody already done this!
Thanks for the link!

Today I celebrate my 2 years with openxcom, it was October 17, 2010 when I first presented the little community we had those days with a screenshot of the battlescape. One day later I presented SupSuper with a 1787 lines long patch file, which contained the earliest battlescape: it loaded a map and you could scroll around. Everyone was excited about that back then :)
Go back to page 1 of this thread if you want to get that feeling again :)
Congratulations  ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:45:38 pm by fenyo1 »

Offline d2uriel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2012, 09:46:42 pm »
fenyo1 - there's an edit option for your posts. Posting 6 times in a row looks kind of silly...

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2012, 10:43:18 pm »
fenyo1 - there's an edit option for your posts. Posting 6 times in a row looks kind of silly...
Yeah, but it is simpler. (editing, and a lot of copy&paste we're talking about)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2012, 11:47:06 pm »
since fenyo1 has been on the forum,  I spend whole nights scrolling through his 1-line posts,  it explains why I don't have time left to code :p

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 21, 2012, 08:06:46 pm »
I've just made a Pull-request with my new invention:  :)

New feature: Can prime a grenade on mission pre-equip (Inventory view) with a right-click

It only works on mission start.

EDIT:
:D
I was just about to implement showing soldier weight in inventory view (like in UFOextender), but i had to realize that soldiers weighting, TU-penalties by weight, they are completely unimplemented yet! :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:56:18 pm by fenyo1 »

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 22, 2012, 04:23:28 pm »
SupSuper!

I think there is no reason to the implementation named "- Added Battlescape camera position to saves.", if the game centers the currently selected unit anyways. (after game-load) :)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2012, 05:04:22 pm »
SupSuper!

I think there is no reason to the implementation named "- Added Battlescape camera position to saves.", if the game centers the currently selected unit anyways. (after game-load) :)
Hmm really? I remember the camera often ended up somewhere random after loads, and it'd be handy for all the battlescape stuff where the camera ends up focused on something completely unrelated. I'll wait for Daiky's opinion on it.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 22, 2012, 05:10:52 pm »
I'd say you should save the camera position. After all, it is a "saved" game, right?

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:03 pm »
I'd say you should save the camera position. After all, it is a "saved" game, right?
It is already saved. :)
The problem is the game does not use it on load-back, when an X-COM unit is selected.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 22, 2012, 05:17:16 pm »
I see your point.

Hmmm..... tough decision.

So if there is a unit selected, the camera focuses on it on load, and if there is none, the camera saved position is used?

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2012, 05:44:36 pm »
At least it should. :)
I've just made a quick test with no unit selected, in this case it puts the camera to [0,0]. :)

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 22, 2012, 09:03:26 pm »
With the newest updates (GIT-build 2012_10_22_1842) the camera in Battlescape is placed to [0,0] also if unit is selected. (when quitting OpenXcom and relaunch it again)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 22, 2012, 09:28:52 pm »
Ugh screw it I'll just get rid of it and Daiky can look into it himself if he wants.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 22, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »
I'll sure have a look at it before 1.0 releases