Author Topic: Battlescape development  (Read 248217 times)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Battlescape development
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »
Let's keep suggestions for the suggestion forums :)

More importantly: For the next milestone I'm currently working on the reaction fire functionality. Which is not really AI, it just is a formula that defines when a unit should reaction fire.

But nevertheless a very interesting feature, because it will -for the first time in openxcom history- allow aliens to automatically open fire on x-com soldiers (and vice versa) :o

Other stuff to expect very soon (next milestone):
- The sectoid "test aliens" will now be equipped with plasma pistols. (otherwise they can't attack - duh)
- A first draft of a score/loose/win screen will be implemented

- minor enhancements like: better line of sight (multiple raycasting between units instead of just 1 line), because it was possible to hide behind objects where in the original you could not hide behind, unit stops walking when new alien spotted, camera follows bullet when it goes out of the screen,...

Without the real AI implemented you already could play a very nice hot-seat battlescape game :) Or if, like myself, you don't find any volounteer, play both x-com and alien side :p

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2011, 11:49:57 am »
Large unit pathfinding works 90%, large unit drawing works 50%... but still a long long way to go...

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2011, 05:36:18 am »
Great work :) Nice to see you back in action :D

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2011, 12:49:50 pm »
Well, action is a big word :) I'm doing a few things from time to time, especially the more fun stuff, leaving boring things for last :p

Hehe, do you remember these?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 28, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »
Well, action is a big word :) I'm doing a few things from time to time, especially the more fun stuff, leaving boring things for last :p
Yeah boring stuff is my job. :P
Hehe, do you remember these?
I remember them but not very fondly. :P Nice work.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:08:14 pm by SupSuper »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2011, 10:45:23 am »
Thanks. I have to cheat a bit to get tanks on the screen however, I don't think people will get to see them in the next beta without cheating. Because at the alien side they only appear on terror missions. On the soldier side you can't equip the craft with HWPs yet.
But I think people will have plenty of other things to play with.

I'm planning to implement the medikit, motion scanner and proximity grenade this month, so if all goes well, the battlescape 0.4 is ready before end of year, as promised.

I'm hoping to get a 0.4 beta sneakpreview video on youtube around christmas.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2011, 01:31:39 am »
I have to cheat a bit to get tanks on the screen however, I don't think people will get to see them in the next beta without cheating. Because at the alien side they only appear on terror missions. On the soldier side you can't equip the craft with HWPs yet.
But I think people will have plenty of other things to play with.

Daiky, I suggest to provide a save game file with HWPs and Cybetdisk in the battlescape. Other members can try and test the large unit easier.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:05:38 pm by hsbckb »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2011, 11:23:28 am »
That can be arranged.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »
or maybe you get free tank in every mission? (aliens too get one :>)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2011, 10:48:31 am »
Actually equipping a tank in the skyranger is not that hard, it's just an item, like equipment you add to the skyranger. The item gets converted into a unit at battlescape start.
But there are two special things going on:
- A tank uses up unit slots.
- A tank's ammo is not visible as equipment, however behind the scenes the required amount of ammo is transferred in the skyranger automatically together with the tank.

Giving a free tank is what I already do now for my tests. You just need to take care you don't put more than 10 soldiers in the skyranger, otherwise you get soldiers spawned outside the skyranger due to lack of space inside.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2011, 12:55:57 pm »
- class Alien is renamed to GenUnit - which stands for generated unit. Soldiers are units that exist on the geoscape, generated units are created on the battlescape. Those are Aliens, but also Civilians, and also the x-com HWPs. Thus the namechange of the class was needed.

- The medi-kit screen will be developed by gchevallerau

- For people that can not wait to test vehicles in the intermediate build, I will commit some code this week that gives you a free tank/cannon in any mission.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 06, 2011, 01:50:29 pm »
- For people that can not wait to test vehicles in the intermediate build, I will commit some code this week that gives you a free tank/cannon in any mission.

This free tank/cannon will be my Christmas Present. Thank You  ;D

How about enemy side i.e. Cyberdisk?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:53:41 pm by hsbckb »

Offline gchevallereau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2011, 09:31:18 pm »
I have found a little regression introduced by large unit support. When startting a mission the battlescape crash during initialization. It doesn't happen when in debug mode(using the graph button). I'm not sure of the best way to fix it, I have just added this:
Code: [Select]
if (part < 0)
{
part = 0;
}

in Map.cpp line 437. After this, no more crash and large unit seems to wrok without any problems

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2011, 02:26:06 pm »
Thanks. I don't think I tested large units on normal missions yet, only in debug mode. So I should do some more testing. Also there is still things I have to implement: large units should not get fatal wounds, no morale losses, no stun damage... no inventory view, it's "dead body" is not right yet...

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2011, 04:50:00 pm »
Reaper arent biological? you can fear them and probably stun.