aliens

Author Topic: Throwing range depends on strengths AND current load  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Alpha Centauri Bear

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Throwing range depends on strengths AND current load
« on: October 19, 2020, 02:04:54 am »
I agree the throwing range depends on strength. However, it always surprised me how fully equipped (and even over encumbered) guys can throw it equally far. Should be some penalty based on what they are currently carrying.

Possible implementation ideas.
Soldiers equipped to their max strength have same max throwing range regardless of strength. For example, same as currently strength 30 (average recruit value) soldier can throw. Indeed, they have used up their strength bonus to carry stuff already. No need to also double this bonus by giving them extra throwing range.
Each unused strength in carried load increases throwing range by [unused strength / throwable weight]. So if strength 30 soldier carries 27 weight items they can throw regular grenade 1 tile farther.
Encumbrance decreases throwing range in same proportion.

Benefits:
Since most of the time soldiers are equipped almost to their strength level the throwing range stays about same across the team AND across the soldiers' strength improvement. Easy to plan the attack with visually consistent results. No more nasty surprises from rookie weaklings. No more insane over the map throwing when someone strength reaches 60.
At the same time, soldier can increase their range to some extent by freeing themselves from all equipment. Stronger soldiers have more capacity of such improvement.
Makes it more visually predictable and tactical at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:09:39 am by Alpha Centauri Bear »

Offline jakepaulo32

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
    • Product Description Generator
Re: Throwing range depends on strengths AND current load
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 01:04:05 pm »
I totally agree with you on this. It should be a bit more realistic and fair in this case.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 03:03:17 pm »
How exactly does this make sense? Why would a soldier have poorer throwing range when not even fully encumbered?

You could just as well decrease their Firing Accuracy, because of all this dangling equipment. Or Psi Defence, because of the mental effort. And let's not even start with Melee.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 04:27:39 pm »
How exactly does this make sense? Why would a soldier have poorer throwing range when not even fully encumbered?

They won't have poorer throwing range when not fully encumbered. They have equal with their max load. Their throwing range decreases as they got more and more encumbered. Please check my suggestion to make sure we are talking about same thing.

You could just as well decrease their Firing Accuracy, because of all this dangling equipment. Or Psi Defence, because of the mental effort. And let's not even start with Melee.

All these parameters does not have to do anything with weight. My suggestion was to make sure strength doesn't provide "more stuff carrying" benefit and "farther throwing" benefit at the same time. At least not both linearly. They should somehow negate each other. Maybe not completely, maybe just partially.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 05:09:11 pm »
They won't have poorer throwing range when not fully encumbered. They have equal with their max load. Their throwing range decreases as they got more and more encumbered. Please check my suggestion to make sure we are talking about same thing.

Well, the initial post mentioned "fully equipped (and even over encumbered)" soldiers, which suggested that this also applied to soldiers who are not over their weight limit.

If that's not really the case, then I'm more open to the idea. Still, to be honest, I personally think it's rather superfluous, since overencumbered units are kinda boned anyway. Since they can't move and sometimes can't even use their equipment. But that's another matter.

All these parameters does not have to do anything with weight. My suggestion was to make sure strength doesn't provide "more stuff carrying" benefit and "farther throwing" benefit at the same time. At least not both linearly. They should somehow negate each other. Maybe not completely, maybe just partially.

I can't really follow your logic, sorry. Why would these actions not be limited by overencumbrance, while throwing would be? Can you please explain in more detail?

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 09:06:11 pm »
Well, the initial post mentioned "fully equipped (and even over encumbered)" soldiers, which suggested that this also applied to soldiers who are not over their weight limit.

If that's not really the case, then I'm more open to the idea. Still, to be honest, I personally think it's rather superfluous, since overencumbered units are kinda boned anyway. Since they can't move and sometimes can't even use their equipment. But that's another matter.

This is just an idea. I don't propose a specific implementation yet. That is why feedback is important to define to which extent it should affect the result if at all. The proposal in my initial post was to make thrown range equal for soldiers caring their max capacity. Like if one is 60 strong carrying 60 weight and other is 20 strong carrying 20 weight they both should be able to throw to the same distance. That is absolute linear solution. There could be mixed one like carrying weight affects throwing range partially. In this case 60/60 soldier still throw farther than 20/20 but not *three times* farther. Maybe just 1.5 times farther or something.

I can't really follow your logic, sorry. Why would these actions not be limited by overencumbrance, while throwing would be? Can you please explain in more detail?

Because they depend on different parameter. That is why different parameters are for - they control different aspects of the battle. Carrying weight and throwing range are, from the other side, tied to the *same* parameter: strength. I am just thinking that strength should be somehow distributed among carrying weight and throwing range effects.

I agree that it may be superfluous to tie throwing range to encumbrance. Maybe I just don't like 60 strength soldier to throw three times farther. Maybe throwing distance should grow slightly more smoothly with strength? Like 60 strength soldier cat throw about just 1.5 times farther than 20 one regardless of carried weight.

Sorry for not being more specific. The idea is in its forming stage.
😄