Author Topic: [FIXED] Weapon graphic/ammo counter visibility inconsistency  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Player701

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[FIXED] Weapon graphic/ammo counter visibility inconsistency
« on: April 06, 2020, 02:14:02 pm »
I remember reporting this in the main thread, but it was probably lost in the sea of replies. I therefore have no idea if this issue was ever looked at. It's very minor, but it is definitely OXCE exclusive, the latest OpenXcom nightly does not have it.

Compare the behavior of the bottom panel (is there a canonical name for it?) between OpenXcom and OXCE when firing a weapon on the battlescape:

OpenXcom: During the first shot, the entire panel is cleared - no soldier name, TUs, energy, health, morale, rank icon, or weapons are visible. When the projectile hits, the panel is fully restored. In case of auto-fire, the panel's state does not change at all on subsequent shots.

OXCE: During the first shot, the entire panel is cleared, like in OpenXcom. When the first projectile hits, the ammo counters and the green "2"s (indicating 2-handed weapons) reappear, but everything else stays hidden. If there are no more shots to be made, the normal state of the panel is restored shortly afterwards. Otherwise, on each subsequent shot, the panel shows everything except the weapon graphics (ammo counters and 2-hand indicators are missing as well). When a subsequent shot hits, the panel's normal state is restored. If there is another projectile to be shot, the weapons disappear again.

I don't really care that the sequence of events differs from OpenXcom, but whatever's going on here seems to lack consistency. IMO, the panel should either be completely empty or completely full, otherwise it looks weird. But I guess not everyone might notice...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 03:12:39 pm by Meridian »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Bug] Weapon graphic/ammo counter visibility inconsistency
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 02:21:46 pm »
This is a side effect of adding weapon animation to the battlescape UI.

Main cause is that OXC does not refresh that part of the UI, so it stays static.
OXCE refreshes that part of the UI, and when the data to redraw is not available, it draws the UI only partially.

I looked at it before, but I didn't find any nice solution... and since then it's sitting on the bottom of my todolist.

PS: It bothers me too, if someone can think of a clever solution, I'm all ears.

Offline Player701

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 03:08:48 pm »
I see. I guess this is a classic example of "too much effort for too little gain", then. Well, at least I've re-reported the issue properly (in its own thread), so now there is less chance to forget about it.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 07:45:55 pm »
I think I found a nice solution... while doing something else (trying to remove epileptic effects from miniguns).

Basically just stopping the animation during shooting.