aliens

Author Topic: [CRAFT] MH-6 "Little Bird" helicopter  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[CRAFT] MH-6 "Little Bird" helicopter
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:37:32 pm »
The stand alone craft MH-6 "Little Bird" helicopter.

Credits:
Ufopedia image provided by Dioxine
ISO image by Perekrylo via Dioxine

Spoiler:
This is one of the "fake" crafts. This means the tiles images were created to give the illusion of an object when playing XCOM. This means it is not a proper 3D block generated tileset, unlike some of crafts prepared by others in this forum.

Available to anyone.
Comments are appreciated.

xcomfan

Re: [CRAFT] MH-6 "Little Bird" helicopter
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 11:34:12 pm »
Super, thanks!!

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 06:13:57 pm »
Your MH-6 "Little Bird" Helicopter looks great.

Spoiler:
This is one of the "fake" crafts. This means the tiles images were created to give the illusion of an object when playing XCOM. This means it is not a proper 3D block generated tileset, unlike some of crafts prepared by others in this forum.

Spoiler:
I have two questions about "fake" crafts:
(1) Does this mean bullets can pass through the craft object as it doesn't have the 3D geometry of a normal tile? (Or does the engine see it as a giant cube?)
(2) Does it block line of sight from aliens? (Like a normal wall tile)

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 03:50:29 am »

awesome craft, Alex! But i'm curious, what do you mean with the "fake 3D"? I'm interested on it, I have a lot of 2D pics that could be useful on 3D environments

xcomfan

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 10:33:04 am »

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 03:05:38 pm »
The LOFTs of the craft map are fine (see attached images). They ought to block shots and line of sight, and in this case some tiles (windshield) can be destroyed revealing some damage below.

What I mean for fake 3D is the ISO image was cut apart to give the illusion that there is a craft on the map. This means some tiles have "objects" that aren't such but just pieces of imagery to when put together they look like the craft. These are often done for the details that are on tiles away from the player (e.g., North-West). And in this particular model, the trick was used to avoid the need of making a detailed second level on the map. To avoid breaking the illusion, these tiles are given 255 of armor so they aren't destroyed easily.

A "true" 3D would imply cutting the model in blocks (1x1x1.412) where the tiles would be and then assemble the images from said blocks. I believe this is what was done on the OSPREY model that is on the forums.

Indeed crafts could be created from 2D pictures, with the restrictions outlined above.