aliens

Author Topic: [Submod] [CRAFT] Starfigher craft  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[Submod] [CRAFT] Starfigher craft
« on: October 01, 2020, 02:20:17 am »
Behold, Buck Rogers' Starfighter !  :D

https://buckrogers.fandom.com/wiki/Thunderfighter

There is a mysterious object recovered. It's analyzed and repaired. It's a one-off fighter. It's yours !

Spoiler:
It's a 1-pilot 1-passenger craft that can hold its own against most UFOs, and has a fair chance of survival against a Battleship.
Not as powerful as the Ultimate Craft in XCF but close enough to last until the end of the campaign. And can use beam weapons fairly early on.

I believe the events and research reports parts work as intended.

Comments are appreciated.

EDIT: Improved pathing around craft.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 07:27:30 am by Alex_D »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
Re: [Submod] Starfigher craft
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 07:41:05 am »
I really like it! very good design and as always, superb sprites! ;D

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 12:41:34 pm »
Looks cool! Can it be used with XCF right away, or does it require some tinkering?

Do you have to wait for an special event ingame to unlock it, or is it available from the start? Does it work with saved games?

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 02:15:42 pm »
I really like it! very good design and as always, superb sprites! ;D

Thanks! Doing the Cadillac gave the bug of doing one more sprite. So it's part thanks to you  ;)

Looks cool! Can it be used with XCF right away, or does it require some tinkering?

Do you have to wait for an special event ingame to unlock it, or is it available from the start? Does it work with saved games?

It meant to be unlocked as a special event, very much like the Kitsune. It needs the Improved Lab for the completed research.
If you want to use it right away your best bet is to replace one of the crafts (empty) by this one, and give yourself the completed research items. So, yes some tinkering is required.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 02:35:25 pm »

If you want to use it right away your best bet is to replace one of the crafts (empty) by this one, and give yourself the completed research items. So, yes some tinkering is required.

What do you mean with replacing one of the "empty" crafts? I checked the ruleset briefly and they're all used. What if I started a new game? Would the event be inserted correctly then?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 03:05:26 pm »
What do you mean with replacing one of the "empty" crafts? I checked the ruleset briefly and they're all used. What if I started a new game? Would the event be inserted correctly then?

Alex probably meant editing your save, so you could turn one of your crafts into this.

BTW I haven't had the time to investigate yet, but I'll probably incorporate such a great content.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 04:02:50 pm »
Alex probably meant editing your save, so you could turn one of your crafts into this.

Yes, I meant that. Thanks for interpreting it :)
Alternatively one could modify the event ruleset and give it a nearly 100% chance of occurrence.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 06:25:47 pm »
What niche you suppose to fill by this craft?

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 06:37:12 pm »
What niche you suppose to fill by this craft?

Maybe it's a free, unique, and relative-powerful fighter craft, to hold the hordes of tiny crafts mid to late campaign.

Ok. None actually  :P
It's just an excuse to put in OXCE/XCF one of my favorite crafts from my childhood memories.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [Submod] [CRAFT] Starfigher craft
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 01:43:35 pm »
I wonder: If I use this mod in an ongoing campaign, and later on Solarius integrates this mod as part of the main mod XCF, what would happen? Would it be safe to switch off this mod since now it's part of the standard content? Could there be a risk of having duplicate ships due the event spawning this happening twice?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 05:20:51 pm »
I wonder: If I use this mod in an ongoing campaign, and later on Solarius integrates this mod as part of the main mod XCF, what would happen? Would it be safe to switch off this mod since now it's part of the standard content? Could there be a risk of having duplicate ships due the event spawning this happening twice?

I will try to integrate seamlessly, but I haven't gotten to it yet, so I can't say for sure.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 08:42:07 pm »
Isn't this kind of unbalanced though, seeing how it uses normal fuel and not Elerium?

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 05:34:24 pm »
Isn't this kind of unbalanced though, seeing how it uses normal fuel and not Elerium?

Well, it's not normal fuel but it uses hydrogen (as per the TV show), which can be obtained at the hangar. It's explained in the mod.

Offline EmoNewtype

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 07:52:39 am »
I can actually kinda see the niche for this thing, depending on how early the event to get it can fire. Said niche being something that actually makes using the craft Laser Beam worthwhile, since early craft can't mount beams, and by the time you get the resources and research to get the ones that can, you're probably not that far off from getting craft Plasma Beams. (at least that's how it was for me)