aliens

Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Ability to define the item needed for research  (Read 1825 times)

Offline MontyDrake

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I've been looking around and only show an old post about something similar, and didn't want to resurrect it.

I'm developing a mod that makes the UFO campaing a little bit more lore-focused, and I had in mind the posibility of having to research alien weapons as a general concept first, kind of what you initially do with laser weapons. I added an ufopaedia article about laser tech, and I wanted to do the same thing with plasma weapons. I was thinking on make recovered plasma weapons trigger the "Alien weapon technology" before having the chance to research the weapons themselves. But I found out OXCE only allows for a research to be dependant on the item it shares ID with. I couldn't think on an alternative, right now, maybe I'm missing something.

Is it possible to include the possibility of researching any topic in base to having an item with a different ID?

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 11:48:26 am by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Research through alternative items
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 10:23:33 pm »
Is it possible to include the possibility of researching any topic in base to having an item with a different ID?

Currently it is not possible.

Offline MontyDrake

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Research through alternative items
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 07:35:23 pm »
Too bad, I'll have to rethink my approach. Thank you anyway, and great work with OXCE, I'm having a lot of fun modding.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [DONE][Suggestion] Ability to define the item needed for research
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 05:26:47 pm »
Done.

Sample ruleset:

Code: [Select]
research:
  - name: STR_MOTION_SCANNER
    cost: 180
    needItem: true
    destroyItem: false
    neededItem: STR_ELECTRO_FLARE
  - name: STR_MEDI_KIT
    cost: 210
    needItem: true
    destroyItem: true
    neededItem: STR_ELECTRO_FLARE

https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/bfaf3ee36f31eaeefa1c9bcfb17a979ffb6c47fe