Author Topic: Detailed Critique of UFO 2012 Remake by Firaxis  (Read 10370 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Detailed Critique of UFO 2012 Remake by Firaxis
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 06:28:49 pm »
So that stupid 'grapple hook' armor is actually useful for more than a grapple hook? I never researched it because I didn't need that dumb gimmick that I saw in the Research blurb.
Yeah a lot of stuff isn't explicitly mentioned, but wearing stuff like Skeleton or Ghost Armor significantly boosts your movement, while Titan Armor will reduce it. Also the Grapple Hook is handier than it looks, it gets you to some really silly places in some maps and easily flank aliens.

I don't seem to think it's working that way; not with the enormous number of targets that got thrown at me in the late game phase on easy.
Well I got that from Ufopaedia so YMMV.

In the old original series; Chryssalids in a terror site would result in a lot of chryssalid zombies, which would then spawn. I got the zombies, but not the "burst free of zombie corpse when you kill it."

Who knows, it might be a bug or something.
That's not a bug, Chrysalids work differently in the new XCOM. As before, if a Chrysalid "kills you" with a melee attack, you become a zombie. But instead of turning into a Chrysalid when shot, they do it after a few turns automatically (like a ticking time bomb), so the challenge now is to kill them before they turn. Of course they're extra-resistent in zombie form, so you should avoid getting zombified in the first place.

I freakin' loved Enemy Unknown, it's my favourite X-COM game of all time. And seriously, playing games like X-COM Apocalypse today is very hard. I never really played it when it was originally released -- the alienating U.I., and the silly alien design seriously put me off. It was only after playing Enemy Unknown that I became a devoted X-COM fan and was more willing to give APOC a playing chance.

Think of X-COM Enemy Unknown as a game which has the purpose to flock new gamers to the X-COM franchise. Think of it as Street Fighter 1, and imagine how improved its mechanics will be in the sequel.
Here here. :)

One thing people forget is that this game is like a fresh start. Sure it has its flaws, it's Firaxis' first attempt at it, but with the IP out and alive again, they have plenty of changes of improving the concept with sequels/expansions now, instead of having to leave it in the dust. Call me an optimist if you will, but I think it can only get better from here.