aliens

Author Topic: [solved][v 1.1][Space Oni] Create a new Race for Xcom soldiers  (Read 1829 times)

Offline urz9999

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
UPDATE:
I've managed to create a preliminary, but still playable race called Space Oni.
The idea is to have them as part of the Piratez lore.
They are n ancient race that once fought war against Nekomimi, but ultimately became allies against star gods.

The race is inspired by old '80 Lum series which somehow I find quite fitting in the uber gals crew.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ver. 1.1
- Added some research to obtain Space Onis, in particular you must have researched Nekomimis Recruit first
- Added first topics of Oni warfare Technologies, this will allow to research a full set of new energy weapons based Getter energy
- Added Getter Pistol and pistol Clip (edited from a gif by FXStudio)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ver. 1.0
1 race
1 basic bikini armor (the same as the series)
1 bootypedia entry
1 color variation at the moment (would love some suggestion on how to implement color variations)

Planning to add more bootypedia entries to make them appear after finding and researching Nekomimis (and if possible,if it is, please tell me, after reaching a certain rank with 1 nekomimi)
I've got also some ideas for some race-related equipments  based on getter energy, which at the moment of encountering is still underdeveloped.

Some screenshots and the zip file if someone would like to test it and maybe (it would be great =) ) contribute to add things!

Ah, and they can fly :P

Hi everyone, second time posting here. First of all, thanks everyone for every effort on openxcom which is greate, as I'm a long xcom fan. It's almost 2 years that i'm playing X-Piratez and I'd like to try my hands on adding a new playable race for the user.

I can both program and draw so the only thing that I'm finding difficult is to find which ruleset files I would have to modify in order to add and play it.

If some one could kindly point me in the right direction or give me a link to another race mod to help me isolate the correct files, it would be great!

Thanks in advance!  :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 03:52:24 am by urz9999 »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Create a new Race for Xcom soldiers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 08:38:12 pm »
Piratez has many playable races, but it's kinda messy when it comes to file organisation, so it might not be the best reference.

X-Com Files has agent transformations, which are essentially different races (even if lorewise most are transhumans of some sort). Look into soldier types, soldier bonuses and soldier transformations. The file organisation is much better than in Piratez.

In general, you should take a look at the Soldiers, Soldier Bonuses and perhaps also Soldier Transformations parts of the ruleset reference.

Offline urz9999

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 09:03:40 pm »
Thanks for the reply! Yes I've found this mod https://mod.io/g/openxcom/m/mwep-mod-integration-for-x-com-files that has all the files well organized so I've undestood what to do and also found a very good plugin or VSCode that shows information related to all the keys. I've downloaded Aseprite and I've also Photoshop. Last thing that I'd lie to manage is a way to generate more eay template to draw on. Falko's tool to generate compact version of sprites seem offline. If I manage to find also something to cover that I can start working on it in the Weekend!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 01:15:26 am »
One section that Juku didn't mention is "armors". This together with "soldiers" form the base minimum*.

*and corpse items under "items", if you want a custom corpse

Offline urz9999

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 10:31:41 am »
Great! Thanks for the tip Solarius (the one and only  ;D)! Do you also know if Falko's tools are available somewhere else, or if there is another tool that can merge/unmerge a unit spritesheet for easy editing? Surely with some trial and error i could use a regular extraSprite as a reference but I suppose I can do a better work with a full body reference on the sprite.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 10:54:27 am »
Great! Thanks for the tip Solarius (the one and only  ;D)! Do you also know if Falko's tools are available somewhere else, or if there is another tool that can merge/unmerge a unit spritesheet for easy editing? Surely with some trial and error i could use a regular extraSprite as a reference but I suppose I can do a better work with a full body reference on the sprite.

Hmm, I don't know any other tool. But https://buscher.eu.pythonanywhere.com/ seems to work fine for me. If you want to have it offline, I guess it's possible, but I can't say anything specific.

Offline urz9999

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 01:24:49 pm »
No, it's perfect I just needed to access that tool somehow, thank you very much!

Offline urz9999

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 04:05:31 pm »
I've also found this link that contains a useful PSD template:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Modding_sprites_(OpenXcom)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 08:47:34 pm by urz9999 »

Offline urz9999

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [solved][v 1.0][Space Oni] Create a new Race for Xcom soldiers
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 01:49:27 pm »
first beta version released.

Offline urz9999

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 08:30:19 pm »
Just a little question: it is possible to create a "rank requirement" for unlocking a new research topic? Said for example I need oni rank 3 to unlock a research topic?

Offline urz9999

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 12:50:10 am »
Also do you know where to add soldier flag reference?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 10:19:44 am »
Just a little question: it is possible to create a "rank requirement" for unlocking a new research topic? Said for example I need oni rank 3 to unlock a research topic?

I don't think so, AFAIK ranks are not related to research in any way.

Also do you know where to add soldier flag reference?

Uh, what where?

Offline urz9999

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [solved][v 1.1][Space Oni] Create a new Race for Xcom soldiers
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 01:05:15 pm »
Thanks for the replay! For the flag I was talking about the one in the attachment, there is a symbol in XPiratez which represent a distinctive flag for a soldier race in the top right section of the soldier' stats screen. Also I've tried to make the new gun technology available after n projects, but it seem the dependencies conditon is in OR is there a way to say "complete ALL researches to unlock a new one"? This is the code I have at the moment (tried using requires but it disable cost value, so the research is available immediatly):

Code: [Select]
- name: STR_XONI_WARFARE_TECH
    cost: 20
    unlocks:
      - STR_XONI_GETTER_PISTOL
    dependencies:
      - STR_XONI_RECRUIT
      - STR_CODEX_CHOICE
      - STR_ELERIUM_115
      - STR_BOUNTY_HUNTING_PRIZE_DURATHREAD
      - STR_NARLOCK_LASGUN

Offline Solarius Scorch