Author Topic: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish  (Read 211806 times)

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish
« Reply #1215 on: June 17, 2022, 10:10:11 am »
Not really, you ran away before it got to that. :P

:) I live to commit atrocities against the English language.

Also fixing grammer on a jpg will be somewhat hard to do.

Are you trying to not meta-game or have never ventured into zombie catacombs before? Because trying to shoot someone in full plate with buckshot and pistol ammo is... well, actually, it's not as useless as it sounds in reality, but these zombies are tough.

Both. I stopped my last Playthrough at the end of 1998 with Two Cults removed and just researched Promotion III. At that point I decided I want to write this AAR and decided that starting from the middle isn't a good idea unless you are George Lucas.

I haven't gotten to the catacombs yet. And I do roleplay it a bit. Also all "Fuck it" last minute before leaving shots are mandatory. Unless the ammo is extremely expensive or other lame reasons.

I should add it to house rules along with "All missions must be attempted unless there are serious reasons not to. Like lack of agents or no egress available."

Female armour designed to account for breast size is a thing. Or quite uncomfortable for said female. Not as over the top as that Tomb Guard, of course. Then again, didn't Batman have nipples on his armour once? :D

Medieval Full Plates have a large empty space on the chest for weapons that pierced the plate but only a little or to lessen impacts that didn't pierce it. A kind of spaced armor. And you will be wearing gambeson underneath, which is quite bulky as well. Not to mention that the external boobs introduce weak points. Unless they are purely cosmetic and glued to the plate.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 10:39:53 am by tarkalak »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 17, 2022, 10:43:33 am »
Spoiler"Boob plate":
Medieval Full Plates have a large empty space on the chest for weapons that pierced the plate but only a little or to lessen impacts that didn't pierce it. A kind of spaced armor. And you will be wearing gambeson underneath, which is quite bulky as well. Not to mention that the external boobs introduce weak points. Unless they are purely cosmetic and glued to the plate.
Well, yeah, but the space you're talking about usually looks like this:

That means unless you're a granny, your boobs will still be unhappy.

And, well, later full plate wasn't really pierced at all, or was pierced in a way that a little extra space meant nothing. Half-swording, polearms, etc.

Also, the more space, the poorer the armour is fitting, which means it's hell to wear. So the space was mostly filled with a gambeson. Wearing just plate was a bad idea, anyway.

All that said, I don't think we know what women wore, if anything. Most medieval art on that matter is basically fanfiction, and I think we have no surviving examples of plate armour that was known to have been worn by a woman in battle. But modern women getting their armour do want a somewhat different contour. Not boob plate (although that, too), but different.

Otherwise, yeah, what you're doing is more fun for us readers. ;D Maybe not optimal, but you're already in a self-challenge game anyway.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 10:50:02 am by Juku121 »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 17, 2022, 11:22:30 am »
Some research is done and next mission pops up. Can X-COM deal with the Root of all Evil?
Probably not yet.

EDIT: Oh, look who forgot to attach a file.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 04:47:07 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 17, 2022, 05:55:14 pm »
Next mission is The Root of all Evil.

And another Ironmanish moment, as I realize I forgot to bring the flares I bought recently. Again.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 23, 2022, 04:28:08 pm »
Great opportunity to disappear for a few years, not gonna lie. :D

Anyway, turn 1 and I already made a deadly mistake. Well, more like "in need of reassembly" mistake, since these AIs don't really die so easily.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 23, 2022, 04:52:02 pm »
Turns 2, 3 and Summary.

I lost the Scout Drone, I admit, in a pretty dumb way. I have no good way of detecting the Assassins now, so I decided to retreat instead. I don't remember how much was the penalty for a failed mission, but I probably didn't do better.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 23, 2022, 05:41:44 pm »
Some more research is done. We finally figured out where Exalt is hiding their drugs and will be able to meet their bosses now. Somehow this allows us to buy the Ultimate Craft (for now). The mighty Osprey.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 23, 2022, 06:19:09 pm »
I lost the Scout Drone, I admit, in a pretty dumb way. I have no good way of detecting the Assassins now, so I decided to retreat instead.
Assassins apparently are not evil enough to go into that jungle. There are only the Avatar and a shitload of Footmen. You'd have been fine... Well, as fine as a jungle mission ever is, especially with sanity loss and a shielded enemy. I think I've seen a streamer lose this mission because the Avatar kept being immune to KO grenades and similar, and his sanity eventually ran out.

I think I have enough BlackOps Pistols for now.

Purchase interface: BlackOps Pistol: quantity: 0.
Are you dissing the BO Pistol here?! :o

safehouses
No, no, the ones the Intelligence Officer is pinpointing are safe houses, while X-Com will start ignoring safehouses. Totally makes sense, right? Maybe you want one of these bright-coloured pills to make it make sense? ;D

I just hope they didn't put lights on the things...
RGB Lightnings incoming in 3 ... 2 ...

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 24, 2022, 01:15:13 pm »
Assassins apparently are not evil enough to go into that jungle. There are only the Avatar and a shitload of Footmen. You'd have been fine... Well, as fine as a jungle mission ever is, especially with sanity loss and a shielded enemy. I think I've seen a streamer lose this mission because the Avatar kept being immune to KO grenades and similar, and his sanity eventually ran out.

I thought it was your usual Outpost quantity of enemies. Anyway, I am reluctant to go in without the Osprey now.

Are you dissing the BO Pistol here?! :o

No, I just don't need to replace the one I lost on the dead Rookie. I had 6 or so, so I should still have more than I actually use.

No, no, the ones the Intelligence Officer is pinpointing are safe houses, while X-Com will start ignoring safehouses. Totally makes sense, right? Maybe you want one of these bright-coloured pills to make it make sense? ;D
RGB Lightnings incoming in 3 ... 2 ...

:D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:24:45 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 24, 2022, 02:22:20 pm »
Some more research is done. I am not sure if I can get the Spypistol before the mission, but I will wait on it for a while.

And then a Durathread Factory pops up. A bit early for my liking. I think the factory stays for a while, so I will wait for the Osprey for it. I don't have that many active agents to loose more to wounds.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 05:17:28 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 25, 2022, 10:54:42 am »
I concentrate on getting the Osprey faster. Also We get the BlackOps Spypistol and CAWS acquisition.
I send over the Labor mission and a small Stormie mission pops up.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 25, 2022, 12:30:30 pm »
A quick little mission against the Stormies.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 25, 2022, 01:15:52 pm »
Chapter 19: The Age of the 007. Spypistols and CAWS too.

And the Labor Undercover missions goes smoothly as well. I made a mistake charging into the Warrior instead of illuminating him with flares, but he missed all of his shots somehow.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 01:21:09 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 26, 2022, 10:41:21 am »
Do you know that Hangars also have storage capacity? So, in theory, you don't need to build additional storage facility. But in practice, with your habit to bring ALL items in a craft, 1 hangar is definitely not enough...
Yes, this F10 trick is a game changer!

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 26, 2022, 02:58:50 pm »
But in practice, with your habit to bring ALL items in a craft, 1 hangar is definitely not enough...
Hah, tarkalak's stuff pile is amateur hour compared to this. ;D