Author Topic: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish  (Read 211833 times)

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish
« Reply #1200 on: June 13, 2022, 11:58:52 pm »
I am actually surprised you managed to 1/2 survived that attack on a mansion. Mansions are challenging even with OSPREY on lower difficulties, and you used Dragonfly with rookies wielding pistols... To be honest, I was morally prepared, that this would be the end of the playthrough.

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: June 14, 2022, 01:05:58 am »
Outcome and next steps.
So you have you storage problem solved. Did the cultists blow up your pile of guns in front of their mansion? Checked the screenshots but didn't figure that out.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: June 14, 2022, 08:53:27 am »
Next mission is a short rumble in the Safehouse. I reported it in short, because I am a bit tired of GIMP and it isn't that much of an extraordinary mission.

After I research EXALT Operations, we are done with safehouses.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: June 14, 2022, 09:06:14 am »
Outcome of the mission.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: June 14, 2022, 09:14:34 am »
I am actually surprised you managed to 1/2 survived that attack on a mansion. Mansions are challenging even with OSPREY on lower difficulties, and you used Dragonfly with rookies wielding pistols... To be honest, I was morally prepared, that this would be the end of the playthrough.

The Rookies were some middling agents actually. The third of them, the Japanese name one, was actually fairly strong agent.
They are there to take shots.

This wasn't even half the top agents on this mission. I have 4 on the Van and 5-6 more in the Sick Bay. I was close to making it through, I think. Most enemies don't have Sniper, only Enforcers and that Soldier type.

So you have you storage problem solved. Did the cultists blow up your pile of guns in front of their mansion? Checked the screenshots but didn't figure that out.

Yes, the pile of guns is on the far right if the deployment, in north west of the statue. Main issue was the loss of extra Medkits actually.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: June 14, 2022, 09:25:44 am »
I am also surprised you managed to pull through after clustering for a while. You were about one explosive away from a catastrophe for some time. I guess being so close to the outer walls was a boon?

How much did you lose in that pile of equipment, anyway?

While only Enforcers and Liquidators have Sniper, pretty much everyone has spotter. My worst experience of being sniped came from a bunch of Enforcers and Liquidators opening up on me from one of the old mansions/bases, with pretty much everything, despite smoke and attempts to distance myself. It doesn't really matter if the shots have a 95% chance to miss if the enemy shoots you 50 times with machine guns, rifles on auto and explosives.

This is coincidentally why I'm so soured on the sniper/spotter mechanics, because they don't really gel with how enemies spot and 'remember' your units.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:31:30 am by Juku121 »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: June 14, 2022, 11:45:59 am »
I am also surprised you managed to pull through after clustering for a while. You were about one explosive away from a catastrophe for some time. I guess being so close to the outer walls was a boon?

How much did you lose in that pile of equipment, anyway?

While only Enforcers and Liquidators have Sniper, pretty much everyone has spotter. My worst experience of being sniped came from a bunch of Enforcers and Liquidators opening up on me from one of the old mansions/bases, with pretty much everything, despite smoke and attempts to distance myself. It doesn't really matter if the shots have a 95% chance to miss if the enemy shoots you 50 times with machine guns, rifles on auto and explosives.

This is coincidentally why I'm so soured on the sniper/spotter mechanics, because they don't really gel with how enemies spot and 'remember' your units.

I was in the dark, so only enemies with Sniper can shoot there. A lucky Exaltee with High Explosive would have killed some, though.

I was afraid from soldiers in the top floors near me. They can spot me from 9 tiles, If I keep further than that, I would be fine. Grenades and Grenade Launchers don't have that much power to kill higher health soldiers.

I don't know. There was that 50 000 dollar rifle with unpronounceable name, but strangely the $12 000 magazines survived. UAC Rifles are 40 000 each and I lost a few of them. Also all the UAC Rocket Launcher ammo. And 3 Nobelons and two Taser Cannons. I lost one of the Dart Rifles, but not in the explosions. That was because I couldn't drag it and the soldier with me. The rest is Medkits, grenades and overall stuff that is easily replaceable.

Over all I spent about 200 000 to rearm and am now about broke. I think I will sell the remaining Plasma weapons from the UFO. They are unresearchable for a long while anyway.

The Osprey will not have enough range to hit that Manor so I will need to build another base in South America/Africa for that. I need about 1.5 million for that and 20 days for it to be operational.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: June 14, 2022, 12:19:36 pm »
I was afraid from soldiers in the top floors near me. They can spot me from 9 tiles...
Liquidators have NV 12.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: June 14, 2022, 12:53:53 pm »
Liquidators have NV 12.

Yeah, but they are a minority.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: June 14, 2022, 01:10:30 pm »
Enforcers have NV 11, too. And you did say 'soldiers'.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: June 14, 2022, 08:20:52 pm »
Enforcers have NV 11, too. And you did say 'soldiers'.

I meant general enemies.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: June 17, 2022, 07:09:55 am »
I sell the Plasma weapons and build a new base in Bioko. I decided that Central Africa should have Osprey range to whatever parts of the Americas are outside range from Franz Josef Land.

Also the Van finally gets to the Zombie Catacombs. I have no illusions of clearing them up with 4 agents. The plan is to kill some zombies and retreat.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: June 17, 2022, 07:28:26 am »
Turns 2 - 5

I should have packed in a Rookie or two in the Van. It is small, but we must pay our sacrifices.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 17, 2022, 07:46:49 am »
Turns 6 - end.

I meat a female armoured zombie. Didn't they heard about boobs on armors? Not a thing.

Our agents call home: "Mommy, come pick me up. There are GIRLS here!"

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: June 17, 2022, 09:10:55 am »
I meat a female armoured zombie.
Not really, you ran away before it got to that. :P

Are you trying to not meta-game or have never ventured into zombie catacombs before? Because trying to shoot someone in full plate with buckshot and pistol ammo is... well, actually, it's not as useless as it sounds in reality, but these zombies are tough.

Didn't they heard about boobs on armors? Not a thing.
Female armour designed to account for breast size is a thing. Or quite uncomfortable for said female. Not as over the top as that Tomb Guard, of course. Then again, didn't Batman have nipples on his armour once? :D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:12:36 am by Juku121 »