Author Topic: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish  (Read 211819 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish
« Reply #1185 on: June 12, 2022, 11:35:05 am »
It also looks better to me.
Yeah. Personally, I use the S&W sprite for the Magnum, and the Police Revolver sprite from Piratez for the S&W.

The BlackOps Magnum is actually better at close range and the Rookie Shieldmaidens aren't accurate anyway. So I do use it sometimes.
The BO Magnum is something like two tiers above these two accessibility-wise. And the two buckshot-firing revolvers are even better at truly close range unless you're shooting something armoured.

For ranges where buckshot starts to scatter but not yet aimed-shot territory, the Magnums might be marginally better.

Edit:
Agreed that the BO pistol is a better sidearm than all the others.
Trinitium
That some sort of combination of Tritium and Tritanium? :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:40:09 am by Juku121 »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 12, 2022, 11:59:10 am »
Aaah, Tritanium, OK. Let's just call it Alien Alloys.

The Kludge and the other similar gun seem way too ineffective to me. I mean the one time I tried it. I already have the UAC Pistol and it is better anyway. Wouldn't the Small shotgun and Sawed Off have better buckshot?

I usually use Shotguns for the Buckshot against animals.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 12:08:22 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 12, 2022, 12:01:00 pm »
And it is time for our second try on the Exalt Manor.
This time I have 8 agents (I counted them twice) and it seems like better architecture for me this time.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 12, 2022, 01:02:30 pm »
Turn 2.

I try to capture some Enforcers with Knockout Grenades. They are tough, though and one of them survives two direct hits from them.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 12, 2022, 01:05:20 pm »
Let's just call it Alien Alloys.
Yeah, I never quite understood why Solarius needed to go all Star Trek with that one. But it's his choice.

The Kludge and the other similar gun seem way too ineffective to me. I mean the one time I tried it. I already have the UAC Pistol and it is better anyway.
You can get the Kludge way before anything UAC shows itself, never mind getting access to their product list.

I think I'm also a bit biased because I almost never use handguns as a primary weapon, except for the shield dudes. But pulling out a revolver full of buckshot when a bunch of Zombies are trying to gnaw the agent's face off and his main gun just ran dry has saved me more than once.

Wouldn't the Small shotgun and Sawed Off have better buckshot?
For burst damage, yes. The small shotgun is very short-range, two-handed, slower to fire and reload, with a smaller clip, too.

You can keep up a better fire rate with the BS revolvers, and hit things that are not right in your face, too. They are also better as emergency weapons for the situation where the choice is between reloading and praying, or pulling out your handgun and hoping you can finish off whatever's bearing down on you.

The sawed-off shotgun is unreasonably good, yes. I don't know what kind of wrists Solarius thinks our agents have if he figures they can shoot the thing one-handed. ::)

I usually use Shotguns for the Buckshot against animals.
Yeah, if I want to deliberately use BS in combat, I'm also getting a real shotgun instead of all these tiny-ass guns. They're backup weapons, or maybe something to use on stealth missions.

Edit: Ah, the Maid Brigade. Or more precisely, the Maid Massacre. :D

Why are you just standing there in one giant clump, not even using smoke?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 01:13:07 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1190 on: June 12, 2022, 01:11:12 pm »
Some late comments:
1. The KS-23 stun round is not weaker. I mean in raw damage yes, but it has a hefty Health damage on top of it, which makes it overall more eficient in stopping people from moving around. (And carries a greater risk of killing them, but the chances are still not very high.)
2. The difference betwen generic and BlackOps shotguns is not small: it is between 2 and 3 snap shots per turn. I find it rather crucial myself.
3. good point on the cave mapping. I am aware of that, but didn't want to go too much into details, so I rolled it with the "govt activity". Maybe I oversimplified it.

The main problem with UAC weapons is that there is no early space missions where they would be useful. So they main advantage is irrelevant.

That is true, but I haven't managed to come up with a sensible plan yet (which wouldn't disrupt the gameplay flow).

Yeah, I never quite understood why Solarius needed to go all Star Trek with that one. But it's his choice.

Star Trek? Pshh. It's from Master of Orion, the mother of all things sci-fi.
Now why this word? Because a lot of Earth factions uses these, so they're hardly "alien". Also I think "alien alloys" sound kinda stupid after the first week after their discovery.

The sawed-off shotgun is unreasonably good, yes. I don't know what kind of wrists Solarius thinks our agents have if he figures they can shoot the thing one-handed. ::)

Well, it wouldn't have a niche otherwise. :D

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 12, 2022, 01:22:53 pm »
Star Trek? Pshh. It's from Master of Orion, the mother of all things sci-fi.
Star Trek use of the term precedes it by some margin. I wouldn't be surprised if MOO devs cribbed it from there.

Edit: I have always made the distinction between aliens (extraterrestrial life, Mexicans, Poles, you know :P ) and Aliens (the specific conglomeration of extraterrestrials assaulting us in some X-Com game. Old fanfiction sometimes used Starspawn instead. So Alien alloys are not 'alien', they're alloys originating from the Aliens, a specific group of ETs.

But as said, it's your lore.

Well, it wouldn't have a niche otherwise.
Well, in RL the primary advantages of sawed-off shotguns are concealment and maneuverability in CQB. Personally, I'd lose the one-handedness and take off some TU compared to the DB shotgun. This could be modeled much better if we had separate 'aim' and 'fire' TU costs like in JA2. But, yeah, if wishes were fishes...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 01:27:01 pm by Juku121 »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 12, 2022, 01:32:30 pm »
Why are you just standing there in one giant clump, not even using smoke?

Darkness.

But in retrospect I should have walked more forward.

There is a fire right in front of me and buildings have some lighting inside. That was shrinking the darkness bubble a bit.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 06:34:09 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 12, 2022, 02:21:51 pm »
Turn 3.

I lose the first Cave Girl Curse test subject.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 12, 2022, 07:00:52 pm »
Turn 4.

I think I am halfway through the battle now.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 12, 2022, 07:53:12 pm »
Turns 5 and 6.

Are they starting to thin out?

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 13, 2022, 11:55:58 am »
Turn 8.

My Storage problems are solved!

The good news is I have enough ammo to finish the mission. Probably. The bad news is I don't have any more reserve medkits.

I should grab an Enforcer and run probably.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 13, 2022, 05:03:48 pm »
Turn 9.

Things don't start looking much better. I think I have killed more than half the opposition, but without more medkits and running out of Shieldmaidens I should retreat.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:16:20 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 13, 2022, 06:35:48 pm »
Turns 10 and 11.

We take more losses, but we get the final obstacle to the road to Greatness. The Enforcer and Exalt Operations.

Next time we will come out with double the agents and destroy this place.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 13, 2022, 06:59:39 pm »
Outcome and next steps.

Cool, I am finally done with the battle from over a week ago and can finally play again. [Technically I was at a conference last week so no way of doing anything]

By the way, if you notice a post that is 1600 wide or so, please tell me about it. I do scale them down, but I tend to have terrible memory. I mean, I was about to ask you something about the images, but, uhm, what was it? Something about resolution or so.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 07:03:34 pm by tarkalak »