aliens

Author Topic: preventing game over when 2 months= bad  (Read 7117 times)

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
preventing game over when 2 months= bad
« on: July 13, 2020, 09:44:11 pm »
Hey!
I searched for over an hour now, can't find any answer, so i may ask you here:

I play ironman, and, for some strange reason, i am about to lose the game, because my score is very low for the second month now.

If i lose a game, because of bad decisions, it is perfectly fine, but i feel that i got some bad rng, maybe researched the wrong things, i play blind. Just do not want to lose all my work.
Can i edit the savegame somehow in preventing a game-over?
Not getting much money is ok for me, just want to go on.

Can't find anything in the savegame, that seems to change what i want (if possible i do not want to cheat on the score, how said before, if they do not want to pay me anymore, it's ok. If this is the only way, fine, but i can't find the score in the safegame!)

Please help me.

Armin

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: preventing game over when 2 months= bad
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 10:11:40 pm »
Uh, i just found something in the ruleset piratez_globals   (defeatScore: -900) .
Is it this?

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 10:46:18 pm »
Yeah, it was the defeatScore.

I just leave the topic here, in case some other poor guy has the same question.

Cheers

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 10:41:50 am »
The most likely source of your game over is some enemy craft with a very long running mission, outside your radar range. Aside from green civilian craft, everything generates negative score flying around and additional negative score sitting landed.

Certain craft like excavators run mission that last for weeks and spend most of there time landed.

To combat this in the early game when you don't have global radar coverage check the score graphs by region to see what region has the mission active then go look for it and kill it.

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 01:41:02 pm »
Thank you!
But how do i reveal enemy ships outside my Radar Range?
With expeditions?
Can i send them to america, if i am in asia?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 02:55:46 pm »
Just patrol, what's new about this?

Offline machinehater

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 07:33:35 pm »
Well, this was a stupid question i suppose...

Anyway, somewhere in the game i must have taken a wrong turn, i am still with one base and there seems to go on very much shit outside of my knowledge.

Time to expand (and throw away lots of dollaros)!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:14:54 pm by machinehater »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 12:58:23 pm »
Dollaros in your bank account don't help you anyway, unless you are saving for something specific.

wcho035

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 01:55:10 pm »
If you are that desperate, just download my 50 Million dollar loan mod. It will give you a peace of mind.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 05:39:16 pm »
Uh, i just found something in the ruleset piratez_globals   (defeatScore: -900) .
Is it this?

If I am not mistaken you could also just clear the warning flag in your save:
warned: false

It is below the expenditures, just search for wanred. That will save you for a month, the game will simply forget that it warned you last month. You will still lose next month, because the flag will be raised again, since you have a negative score this month.

NOTE: I actually haven't tested that, but it should work.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 11:49:51 pm »

If i lose a game, because of bad decisions, it is perfectly fine, but i feel that i got some bad rng, maybe researched the wrong things, i play blind. Just do not want to lose all my work.

Ofc it's bad decisions. Knowingly or unknowingly. If you're not proactive, the system is designed to make you lose through low score sooner or later. It usually happens around early-mid year 2, depending on your luck. (It's one of very few ways you can actually lose).

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 06:05:07 pm »
I play ironman, and, for some strange reason, i am about to lose the game, because my score is very low for the second month now.
AND
maybe researched the wrong things, i play blind.

Why-oh-why did you decide to do a hard challenge (which is playing ironman) if you have not learned the advanced mechanics of the game? It's trying to drive a race car blindfolded, before you even learn how to drive.

Playing ironman basically demands you use any and all the tricks (I don't mean cheating) you have at your disposal to win. How to expand aggressively. Which factions to take on, and which ones to leave alone. Which shipping is free game and which is a death trap. How to protect against missiles. What to research and when. Which pieces of gear are optimal for a given playstyle/role. Using activity graph as a poor man's radar. And so on... You have no rollback, so you have little room for mistakes. And RNGesus will make you commit a couple of mistakes anyway.

Offline stax77

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 07:45:08 pm »
AND
Why-oh-why did you decide to do a hard challenge (which is playing ironman) if you have not learned the advanced mechanics of the game? It's trying to drive a race car blindfolded, before you even learn how to drive.

Playing ironman basically demands you use any and all the tricks (I don't mean cheating) you have at your disposal to win. How to expand aggressively. Which factions to take on, and which ones to leave alone. Which shipping is free game and which is a death trap. How to protect against missiles. What to research and when. Which pieces of gear are optimal for a given playstyle/role. Using activity graph as a poor man's radar. And so on... You have no rollback, so you have little room for mistakes. And RNGesus will make you commit a couple of mistakes anyway.

Well i can answer that from my personal viewpoint. I play ironman because anything else feels like cheating to me. So any game that gives the option, i take it. (that, and i am too lazy to remember saving when needed, ehm... :))

And i also play (played) blind, because it is the excitement of discovery that makes the game fun for me. Looking up what to research would be like checking who the murderer is before starting to read a detective novel.

That being said, i absolutely understand that doing the above means i will hit a wall face-first more often than not. But i am okay with that - i love restarting to try a different approach (which is why i am so excited about L3 coming out - an excuse to start over! :))

So in short, play any way you want, just don't complain after ;)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 08:54:05 pm »
To answer the original question, you can just cheat in-game, in Geoscape press Ctrl+D and then Ctrl+6 (with debug: true in options.cfg). This will reset the entire monthly xcom and alien activity.

To reply on some other stuff:
- if you play ironman because everything else feels like cheating, then your will is so weak that you'll eventually cheat anyway
- by playing ironman, you are actively refusing to help both modders and developers with bugfixing and development, since you can't provide saves which are in most cases the only thing that can help with bugfixing
- if I had a nickel each time I see a corrupted save because someone ragequitted (alt+F4) at the point in game where creating a valid save is not possible (e.g. during debriefing)... I'd have a LOT of nickels :) And many people would be able to finish their campaigns instead of having one unloadable save and no backup

Offline stax77

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 09:12:00 pm »

- if you play ironman because everything else feels like cheating, then your will is so weak that you'll eventually cheat anyway

It took me some time to understand how you could possibly arrive at that conclusion, but i think i get it now: You think someone who has to choose ironman feels like he has to do it because otherwise the temptation to reload would be insurmountable. Ergo, his will is weak, and as such, he would cheat anyway.

Well, no. I do not choose ironman because otherwise i would reload - i choose ironman because i know i would never reload, so i might as well play ironman. For me, it is "the right way to play".  Losing a save to corruption is an acceptable risk to me (just an excuse to start over really so not much of a risk to begin with).