Author Topic: preventing game over when 2 months= bad  (Read 7107 times)

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: preventing game over when 2 months= bad
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 10:04:45 pm »
- by playing ironman, you are actively refusing to help both modders and developers with bugfixing and development, since you can't provide saves which are in most cases the only thing that can help with bugfixing
- if I had a nickel each time I see a corrupted save because someone ragequitted (alt+F4) at the point in game where creating a valid save is not possible (e.g. during debriefing)... I'd have a LOT of nickels :) And many people would be able to finish their campaigns instead of having one unloadable save and no backup

^ Should the "superhuman" button even be in game then?  Particuarly if there's known bugs that allow a 100+ hour save to get corrupted.  I play "ironman" but never hit the button for these reasons, and most games released these days that are "ironman" have autosaves anyways.  A button never stopped people ironmanning UFO defense.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 10:16:03 pm »
^ Should the "superhuman" button even be in game then?

If you mean "ironman" button... I would very much like to see it gone... but once a feature is introduced, it's not easy to remove (without people rioting on streets).

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 12:07:12 am »
Well, not sure how much coding it would be, but ADOM has a nifty feature. It's basically Ironman (it deletes the save file upon load), if you die, it's the end. But it still keeps autosaves that the game somehow uses if the last play session was not ended gracefully. I don't know the technical details but it works pretty well. Any crashes, power outages and even save file corruption is averted. Probably too complicated for OXCE to implement it though, just for the sake of a feature that is used mostly for challenges.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 08:58:23 pm »
It took me some time to understand how you could possibly arrive at that conclusion, but i think i get it now: You think someone who has to choose ironman feels like he has to do it because otherwise the temptation to reload would be insurmountable. Ergo, his will is weak, and as such, he would cheat anyway.

Well, no. I do not choose ironman because otherwise i would reload - i choose ironman because i know i would never reload, so i might as well play ironman. For me, it is "the right way to play".  Losing a save to corruption is an acceptable risk to me (just an excuse to start over really so not much of a risk to begin with).

It's not nice to play dumb like this and ignore other points Meridian made, only so you can double-down on what you have written before. It doesn't add credibility to your claims, quite the opposite.

Offline stax77

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2020, 11:48:35 pm »
It's not nice to play dumb like this and ignore other points Meridian made, only so you can double-down on what you have written before. It doesn't add credibility to your claims, quite the opposite.

I believe when someone calls you a weak-willed cheater because he apparently misunderstood what you wrote, you have the right to clarify.

If that is not correct, then i apologize. Your forum, your rules.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 12:18:18 am by stax77 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 12:42:39 am »
You called us (everybody who doesn't play ironman) cheaters first, remember? :)

Well i can answer that from my personal viewpoint. I play ironman because anything else feels like cheating to me.

Anyway, I don't have anything against cheaters, everyone is free to play as they like.
I just wanted to show the second side of the ironman mode... a mode, which brings me personally only trouble, nothing else, week by week, month by month, year by year.

Offline stax77

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 01:38:28 am »
You called us (everybody who doesn't play ironman) cheaters first, remember? :)

Honestly, it has not even crossed my mind what i wrote could be interpreted that way. I was only talking about my personal preference. But, in retrospect, i understand now.

Maybe instead of "anything else feels like cheating" i should have written "anything else goes against my personal ruleset" which says "thou shall live with the consequences of thine actions" :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:52:01 am by stax77 »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2020, 03:13:10 am »
"thou shall live with the consequences of thine actions" :)

Better option for this is to play "honestman" to live with the consequences, the ironman mode in OXC doesn't hold any of the bragging rights it might hold elsewhere.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 09:54:03 am »
That's what I called dumb; ignoring the fact ironman mode makes it near-impossible to debug (ie. someone playing ironman mode is useless to everybody else), which Meridian explained in really simple to understand words. Also I don't believe Meridian called YOU specifically a weak-willed person, just spoke from experience and general wisdom (which I can fully confirm). How many OXCE players do you know? We have seen hundreds if not thousands. Yet ofc some people are so arrogant they think everything is about THEM personally. Some humility there, please.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 11:41:31 am »
Let's stop here.
Both stax77 and myself have used words that can be misunderstood. We have both admitted it, no hard feelings, let's move on.

Offline Yglorba

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 07:00:44 am »
Hmm.  Perhaps Ironman mode should save the last X autosaves somewhere, but 'hidden' (eg. with the extension renamed) so they don't appear in the load list.  This would preserve the spirit of Ironman but would leave you with something to submit if you hit a bug.