aliens

Author Topic: E-115 weapon ideas  (Read 3485 times)

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
E-115 weapon ideas
« on: June 29, 2020, 07:03:38 pm »
I had a couple ideas for weapons that could use the E-115 damage type, since I figured that as long as it was in the game it should be used for something. Of course I'm assuming there's going to be the pistol/rifle equivalents as usual, so these could make it a bit more flavorful.

• Repurpose the existing Elerium-based explosives (e.g. Elerium Missiles, Elerium Explosives, etc.). It'll be faster than developing something which would need new sprites, handobs, etc., and it just doesn't make sense that they would cause plasma damage when they don't use any actual plasma in their design. As far as I know anyway.
  • Something like Halo's Fuel Rod Gun, which would basically launch big chunks of explosive elerium similar to the Plasma Destroyer's projectiles.

Offline Doc

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: E-115 weapon ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 03:48:48 am »
I wonder what the niche use for it would be? Chryssalids are allergic to it apparently, but what other enemy types would be vulnerable to it? Is it intended to be a late stage damage type that nothing is particularly resistant to?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 11:30:08 am »
Actually, it's supposed to be called "Anti-E-115", not "E-115"... I never cared to correct this, as it's still unused.

What you've described are perfectly normal Elerium explosives. The still unused damage type is something completely different, though I haven't explained this yet.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:41:09 pm »
Actually, it's supposed to be called "Anti-E-115", not "E-115"... I never cared to correct this, as it's still unused.

I did not know that. Well, so much for my brainstorming then.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 08:36:49 pm »
I did not know that. Well, so much for my brainstorming then.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Anti-E-115 basically means the same as the Chryssalid gas in Piratez: it's a chemical which reacts violently with energetic blood plasma, present in many aliens and creatures. Harmless to normal humans and animals.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 09:00:40 am »
Yeah, sorry about that.

Anti-E-115 basically means the same as the Chryssalid gas in Piratez: it's a chemical which reacts violently with energetic blood plasma, present in many aliens and creatures. Harmless to normal humans and animals.

So like the stuff mentioned in Monsters- Final Solution? I guess that could work like the alien gas bombs in Apocalypse then.

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 09:34:18 pm »
I had a couple ideas for weapons that could use the E-115 damage type, since I figured that as long as it was in the game it should be used for something. Of course I'm assuming there's going to be the pistol/rifle equivalents as usual, so these could make it a bit more flavorful.

• Repurpose the existing Elerium-based explosives (e.g. Elerium Missiles, Elerium Explosives, etc.). It'll be faster than developing something which would need new sprites, handobs, etc., and it just doesn't make sense that they would cause plasma damage when they don't use any actual plasma in their design. As far as I know anyway.
  • Something like Halo's Fuel Rod Gun, which would basically launch big chunks of explosive elerium similar to the Plasma Destroyer's projectiles.

Elerium E-115 based weapons (munnition) should be quite similar like Depleded Uranium,U-235,~~238 ammunitions type..

so, mostly used in various antitank missiles, anti-panzer warheads, and anti-material bullets, ..
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:23:42 am by RolandVasko »

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 06:14:03 pm »
Elerium E-115 based weapons (munnition) should be quite similar like depleted Uranium,U-235, 238 ammunitions type..

so, mostly used in various antitank missiles, anti-panzer warheads, and anti-material bullets, ..

Too late, it turns out the damage type was meant to be something else entirely. In fact, I now notice that UFOPedia now refers to it as "Anti-E-115".

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 10:04:59 pm »
Elerium E-115 based weapons (munnition) should be quite similar like Depleded Uranium,U-235,~~238 ammunitions type..

Not really.
E-115 is highly volatile and energetic substance. It would make a very effective High Explosive.
Depleted Uranium is depleted (duh). Which means that it doesn't have the isotopes that are used for nuclear reactions. It is used in munitions because it is dense and heavy and makes a good kinetic projectile.

So E-115 is HE and Depleted uranium is AP.

You might use E-115 for HEAT ammo (High Explosive Anti-tank), but Depleted uranium wouldn't work for such, so they are completely different.

Offline anothrgamer1234

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 07:08:51 am »
Not really.
E-115 is highly volatile and energetic substance. It would make a very effective High Explosive.
Depleted Uranium is depleted (duh). Which means that it doesn't have the isotopes that are used for nuclear reactions. It is used in munitions because it is dense and heavy and makes a good kinetic projectile.

So E-115 is HE and Depleted uranium is AP.

You might use E-115 for HEAT ammo (High Explosive Anti-tank), but Depleted uranium wouldn't work for such, so they are completely different.

Read the second post. And can someone close this topic since it was based on a misunderstanding?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 10:40:31 am »
Read the second post. And can someone close this topic since it was based on a misunderstanding?

Sure, no problem. Closing the topic.