aliens

Author Topic: Character portraits on soldier stat screens, or gender field  (Read 37628 times)

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Character portraits on soldier stat screens, or gender field
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2013, 03:32:01 am »
I was thinking we could possibly grab an GPL-friendly flag library if we wanted to do CoO for soldiers at some stage. I definitely like your missions and kills being on the same line though, that makes sense, presuming there's enough space in our longer languages to do that.

And yeah, I'm actually pretty agnostic on the border, or whether we stretch vertically or squish vertically for a rectangle. If people would do a show of hands I'm happy to go either way.

Thanks for the criticism, I think we ironed out something really good between us! :)

edit: Yeah, famfamfam has great-looking, compact flags from tons of countries that are licensed as public domain that we could use when we can go full-colour.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:42:20 am by 54x »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2013, 03:57:33 am »
I was thinking we could possibly grab an GPL-friendly flag library if we wanted to do CoO for soldiers at some stage. I definitely like your missions and kills being on the same line though, that makes sense, presuming there's enough space in our longer languages to do that.

Yeah, flags would be cool, although some people have some serious problems with their heraldry. It the long run it would be simpler too, because translators wouldn't be forced to add a new line for every language, whenever someone adds a new country to the list. And yes, it might be better to add some space between the missions and the kills fields, as to account for other languages. There should be enough space to manage that easily, though, as we're dealing with single word terms here.

And yeah, I'm actually pretty agnostic on the border, or whether we stretch vertically or squish vertically for a rectangle. If people would do a show of hands I'm happy to go either way.

Thanks for the criticism, I think we ironed out something really good between us! :)

We'll see. We still need approval from the devs themselves in order to get this implemented in the first place, so without their clearance we were likely just wasting our time here. And yeah, it was nice to collaborate with you as well.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2013, 10:22:45 am »
Countries are not that difficult to quickly translate. If you wanted to add soldier background info like in JA2: https://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/121/1219560/00_1330395279.jpg
now, that's something else :)

Also, "gender" shouldn't that be clear from the picture, as it's another field you could remove to make place for more important info.
In OP you said: "either add a gender field, or a character portrait in the soldier stat screen" - in your latest mockup you have added both.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:27:13 am by Daiky »

Offline DiceMaster

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2013, 12:28:56 pm »
Also, "gender" shouldn't that be clear from the picture, as it's another field you could remove to make place for more important info.
In OP you said: "either add a gender field, or a character portrait in the soldier stat screen" - in your latest mockup you have added both.
Daiky is right. Gender is not necessary to show. Also gender icon looks weird.

Volutar

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2013, 01:13:21 pm »
> Gender is not necessary to show.
Yeah, right, and now we have woman scream from Jack.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2013, 01:44:40 pm »

I guess, but some character paperdolls can be a little ambiguous as well. Especially considering the later introduction of modded portraits and such. It's really up to you programmers on this matter, I think. Personally, I'd prefer having both.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:54:27 pm by Hythlodaeus »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2013, 01:56:01 pm »
I'd also opt for "both". character portraits will probably expanded, and there will be those that are ambiguous. and names definitely are already, especially those from regions not your own :)

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2013, 09:00:44 pm »

Here's a slight update to my version, in the meantime. Smoothed out the portrait frame, and added a little theoretical flag in the country field, just to have a small preview of what it may look like. I also thought about what to do with the + stat values at the end of each bar if the value ever crosses the graph's limits. My solution is to add the number inside the bar in a dark blue hue. Just another suggestion for the programmers, in case they feel that implementing something like this is worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:35:58 pm by Hythlodaeus »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2014, 03:11:25 pm »
Up...  8)

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2014, 05:24:01 pm »
Aye, something like this would be fantastic.