aliens

Author Topic: incendiary grenades  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Twoofee

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
incendiary grenades
« on: June 11, 2020, 09:52:54 pm »
Incendiary grenades: 60dmg
Red Dawn Lad: 5 Armor, 140% incendiary dmg

This guy not only survives the blast (which was right under his feet), but then stays alive for the next 2 turns while on fire (in which case i just said screw it and shot him).  I wish i could say this a one time thing but i have yet been able to kill a cultist with the initial blast of a incendiary grenade, some do die from the burning afterwards.

I feel like I'm missing something because 60 dmg is a lot on top of the bonus damage (150% dmg on some of those black locus).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: incendiary grenades
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 09:57:36 pm »
Incendiary damage works differently: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Incendiary

60 indicates a blast diameter
impact damage is between 5-10 (read linked article for more details)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 05:35:58 pm »
To be more accurate, 60 is power (and power affect blast diameter),
but for incendiary damage type power is always converted to 5-10 damage range as Meridian said.
As XComFiles use OXCE some items could have different behavior, "Napalm" or "White phosphorus" weapons could instant kill units because they have damage similar to other damage types.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 03:45:32 pm »
I am aware of the confusion, but I have no idea how to make it clearer. Make a new damage type just for ResistType under damageAlter? That would be kinda excessive...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:26:56 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 04:57:16 pm »
Just leave it be.
It was confusing already in vanilla, it's not worse than there.
A few people will ask every now and then...

Offline Doc

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 07:42:50 pm »
Speaking of, is there any real difference between regular incendiaries and napalm grenades other than radius and the overkill setting?

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 11:25:13 am »
Napalm grenades are basically incendiary grenades +1, since they CAN do actual damage (done with a damage type that few enemies resist), set everything on fire, and demolish morale like standard ones. As expected, they tend to be very powerful.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 07:08:05 pm »
@Solarius I would just state in the description "Damage 5-10, 60 blast radius, units on fire take X damage per turn, 5x morale damage"

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 12:28:24 pm »
@Solarius I would just state in the description "Damage 5-10, 60 blast radius, units on fire take X damage per turn, 5x morale damage"

No no no no no, I'm not adding stats to individual descriptions, thankfully we've already buried that phase with Meridian's INFO feature and I'm not going back to doing this, ever :)

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 01:34:25 am »
INFO is pretty mindbogglingly powerful and frankly I wouldn't play much OpenX if it didn't exist but it still has room for improvement it seems.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 09:52:27 am »
INFO is pretty mindbogglingly powerful and frankly I wouldn't play much OpenX if it didn't exist but it still has room for improvement it seems.

everything has room for improvement

any concrete suggestions?

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 10:45:35 am »
Mouseover or click of some INFO columns such as Power, negative Weight, radar chance could give an explanatory tooltip.

Search for a column by name, e.g. if you want to know what kneel modifier in Defaults is it can be hard to scroll.

Arguably weapons should default to including the stats of their ammo if they only have one compatible ammo.

UFOpaedia remembers your previous runs, or option to have all combat analyses unlocked so you know why you're dealing zero damage.

Combat analysis -ish pages with TU, accuracy, etc. Hard to tell how good a unit is without. Many modders manually list this for player units.

Just like you can alt-hover to see weapon damage, ctrl-alt-hover to see that number * the number of shots you can take this turn with remaining TUs and ammo, so you have a closer approximation of "DPS".

Diablo-esque item comparison or sortable spreadsheets if you're crazy enough to implement either of those.

Option to list "NONE" for a ruleset image in which case it uses a blank one, or to reference placeholders that might not necessarily be the perfect size.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 11:16:05 am by Bobit »